Four Minneapolis officers are fired after video shows one kneeling on neck of black man who later died (1 Viewer)

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Only took ya 20 years to come to this conclusion?
I don't agree with the cartoon stuff. Voice actors aren't 1-1 with their characters, they play 5+ characters in a show. So it's not the case that a white person is taking a black person's job as clearly as in other situations.

If you're playing 4 white people, 1 black person, and feel like that's an injustice, then I respect the depths to which you'll act, but you may have missed the point of where you could do actual good in fighting systemic racism.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Yeh, but it's harder for blacks to break into every business. I'm not saying that giving up his gig was a bad thing, it's not. But, realistically, most people would do more good donating their money and time to real causes than quitting their jobs (e.g. black college tuition, criminal justice reform, etc). It's not as cool, you don't get props on Twitter, but it does a lot of good. That's why I do the shit I do and shut up about it.

And, just to be a dick: We don't need more voice actors. We need more scientists, educators, etc.

Bran

The wolf dead.
Yeh, but it's harder for blacks to break into every business. I'm not saying that giving up his gig was a bad thing, it's not. But, realistically, most people would do more good donating their money and time to real causes than quitting their jobs (e.g. black college tuition, criminal justice reform, etc). It's not as cool, you don't get props on Twitter, but it does a lot of good. That's why I do the shit I do and shut up about it.

And, just to be a dick: We don't need more voice actors. We need more scientists, educators, etc.
So every character in every script is default white. When people of color or minorities audition for these roles, they're often told "I don't know if I see this character as a black man, woman, Asian, gay, etc." So you already have POCs not getting cast because POCs aren't as widely depicted in media, but when they ARE depicted, you mean to tell me that you can't find one of the many POCs trying to work in that business to fill that role? It's obnoxious.

As for the "we need more scientists...." line, I'd agree, but it's not like the people trying to be V/O artists are in college weighing V/O artist or rocket scientist as their major. Artistic people generally lean artistic and scientific people lean scientific. I know Ken Jeong gave up being a doctor to be a goofball in the Hangover, but that's a pretty rare case. And I don't know about you, but if I was on the operating table and my surgeon told me that he used to voice Spongebob, I'd run out of the room.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
So every character in every script is default white. When people of color or minorities audition for these roles, they're often told "I don't know if I see this character as a black man, woman, Asian, gay, etc." So you already have POCs not getting cast because POCs aren't as widely depicted in media, but when they ARE depicted, you mean to tell me that you can't find one of the many POCs trying to work in that business to fill that role? It's obnoxious.

As for the "we need more scientists...." line, I'd agree, but it's not like the people trying to be V/O artists are in college weighing V/O artist or rocket scientist as their major. Artistic people generally lean artistic and scientific people lean scientific. I know Ken Jeong gave up being a doctor to be a goofball in the Hangover, but that's a pretty rare case. And I don't know about you, but if I was on the operating table and my surgeon told me that he used to voice Spongebob, I'd run out of the room.
My point is where you do the most good. "We need more scientists" as in, donate your money to improving education options. Donate your time to working with ex cons (that's my favorite, though I was just doing the IT support for those orgs).

Again, it's not bad. I explicitly, again, am saying it's not a bad thing. It's a good thing. But, in the grand scheme of where he could have made an impact, that was the least interesting Tweet I could have seen.

EDIT: Maybe everyone focusing on symbolic gestures (which is all this is, we have no commitments to him being replaced by a black actor, not did he stay to fight for it) will work out for the best. But I'm a pragmatist. I figure the best way to do it is to attack the base issues.

Bran

The wolf dead.
My point is where you do the most good. "We need more scientists" as in, donate your money to improving education options. Donate your time to working with ex cons (that's my favorite, though I was just doing the IT support for those orgs).

Again, it's not bad. I explicitly, again, am saying it's not a bad thing. It's a good thing. But, in the grand scheme of where he could have made an impact, that was the least interesting Tweet I could have seen.

EDIT: Maybe everyone focusing on symbolic gestures (which is all this is, we have no commitments to him being replaced by a black actor, not did he stay to fight for it) will work out for the best. But I'm a pragmatist. I figure the best way to do it is to attack the base issues.
I’m not saying this is going to end racism, but the more white people that refuse work that should be going to people of color the more work will go to people of color. I’m not putting this guy on a pedestal. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s doing this more to get ahead of the situation than anything else, but like I said, it sets a great precedent and puts pressure on others to follow suit.
The fact that more can be done is inconsequential. It reminds me of people saying “what about liver cancer?” When someone is raising money for lung cancer.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
I’m not saying this is going to end racism, but the more white people that refuse work that should be going to people of color the more work will go to people of color.
I'm torn on that statement. It's true in a fixed sum game, and I believe that's more or less the case for highly specific and limited markets like voice acting. But that's a different kind of problem: That's the problem of "we have qualified minorities en mass not getting the job."

Elsewhere, in the broader market, the reality is that we often don't have qualified minority replacements at scale. That's the whole issue of structural racism and how it has impacted education and the accruement of social capital. In those cases, if you have to choose between stepping aside or investing, I would argue that the most good is done by investing. I.e. donating your salary instead of quitting your job. Because investment can attack structural inequality at scale.

The flip side is that symbolic gesturing is a key part of group identity and, ultimately, culture. I could easily be persuaded that gestures like his do more good than any amount of cash to attack the underlying willingness of others to help. And I find that debate to be really interesting.

I’m not putting this guy on a pedestal. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s doing this more to get ahead of the situation than anything else, but like I said, it sets a great precedent and puts pressure on others to follow suit.
100% agree. That's why I was annoyed by him but see it as an overall good thing.

The fact that more can be done is inconsequential. It reminds me of people saying “what about liver cancer?” When someone is raising money for lung cancer.
I know the feeling but it's a misapplication. In this context, we're talking about what one individual could do with their income to help a specific cause. He can quit, or he can donate.

My point (and admittedly this is my autistic-y nitpicking shit), is that I was a little annoyed he chose the one that is more symbolic than pragmatic. I felt like he was looking to score points before he got canceled for the black accent on that show.

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
My concern with the voice acting stuff is it's going to lead to less representation for people of color. A lot of animated shows, podcasts, audio books rely on voice actors playing many characters. There are going to be media that want POC characters but won't be able to find, or afford a person of color voice act one characters.

Poindexter

Staff member
Post automatically merged:

The woman who had the gun pulled on her is lucky the deputy didn’t arrive and shoot her.

I may be biased, but the Karen with the pistol exemplifies the majority of people who want guns. It’s not about facing some consistent life-threatening danger, or even the remote possibility of such, but instead it’s about power—and that includes this imaginary (heroic) struggle they’ve devised that one day will come (and if it does come, they’ve initiated it).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

UFC 251 Usman vs Burns

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

So, who is going to vote for Kanye? :>
Sing to the death rattle la, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie..
Tyrannicide forms the historical, political, and ethical foundation of democratic order.
Cloud Strife to USA: "yeah.. you owe me a pizza."
thumper wrote on DOCTOR's profile.
Yoink! man what would we do without @DOCTOR posting events?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subtleties