Dana White unsure how to usher former champ Anderson Silva into retirement

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Dana White unsure how to usher former champ Anderson Silva into retirement

Anderson Silva’s historic MMA career is winding down. The former longtime UFC middleweight champion has two fights remaining on his contract, and he’s made it clear he intends on honoring them before hanging up his gloves.

Silva (34-10 MMA, 17-6 UFC) is currently the oldest fighter on the UFC roster at 45, and despite once going on the longest winning streak in company history at 16 fights, is currently in a stretch of just one victory in his past eight contests.

“The Spider” hasn’t seen action since UFC 237 in May 2019, where he suffered a first-round TKO loss to Jared Cannonier courtesy of a leg kick. He’s begun to express interest in various fights on social media, meaning his penultimate bout could soon be on the horizon. The problem, though? UFC president Dana White doesn’t know how to match him up.

“I don’t know,” White told ESPN in a recent interview. “I honestly don’t know what to do with his last two fights. When Anderson’s really ready to fight, we’ll sit down and look at it, and we’ll figure out what we thinks makes sense for him next. There’s a lot of things that goes into the decision-making process with an Anderson Silva. His age, what he gets paid – all that stuff’s important.”

White’s problem is further compounded by the fact the fights Silva has expressed interest in of late do not do much for him. First, it was Silva once again calling for a showdown with Conor McGregor. More recently, a potential clash with Anthony Pettis has been taking headlines after “Showtime” offered to jump to middleweight to make it happen.

The pairing with McGregor has already been dismissed by White, and his tone isn’t much more enthusiastic when it comes to Pettis, leaving him in something of a conundrum.

“I’m not crazy about it,” White said. “You’ve got a guy that fought at 145 pounds and a guy that’s in the conversation for the GOAT at 185 pounds and walks around at 210, 215. It’s not a big fight that really means something. I like making fights that mean something, so I’m not crazy about that fight.”

Noise

Ruido
Bait the fraud out with a needle and steroids; no testing in retirement, Anderson – off you go.

Ramma

Judo Throws Arouse Me
I hate to say it but I think Anderson wants those last 2 pay days and that's really it.

What White said about the paycheck is what really is keeping Anderson from getting a fight. Dana doesn't want to pay Anderson a ton of money to either squash some lesser fighter or get a quick 2 minute tko or submission loss.

GingerPowerBottom

mortality, ka, and the Tower
Give him to Yoel Romero. Both are over 40.

I just looked up his record. He lost last by a leg kick?

Virtualpurple

Go Team Venture!
Give Anderson Silva whomever you like, just give him TRT. I want to see a vitor-like resurgence for those last fights.

thumper

Staff member
Jesus Christ shut up Dana. Don't whine stupid BS like this. You let your friend chuck Liddell get beaten to a sponge brain after standing up and proclaiming you weren't going to let your 'friend' fight again.... then he fought 4 more times for the UFC.

we all know you don't care a bit about anyone. That's the guy that helped you build the UFC and you were supposedly great friends with. the whole world knew from 2007 to 2010 he went 1-5 and in those 5 losses was KO'd four times.

Now you're 'worried' about ushering Silva out? get over yourself.

rivethead

Neg'd 4 Lyfe
I wouldn't be surprised to see pip come out of retirement for a rematch against Anderson.
If Silva fought Weidman again, I'd still bet on Chris. It's one of the few winnable main events Weidman has left out there. It's not a lock, by any means, but it's winnable.

funny how ufc has devolved into young viable fighters "retiring" because they can't get paid and guys who should have retired years ago still fighting.

rh

thumper

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised to see pip come out of retirement for a rematch against Anderson.
If Silva fought Weidman again, I'd still bet on Chris. It's one of the few winnable main events Weidman has left out there. It's not a lock, by any means, but it's winnable.

funny how ufc has devolved into young viable fighters "retiring" because they can't get paid and guys who should have retired years ago still fighting.

rh
Well, I think Anderson was pretty much at a tipping point when Chris knocked him silly the first time. He's now a juicy 1-5 in the last 7 years. So yea! Bring that man back for another 3 rounds of humiliation just because he can pick up a bit more cash

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest profile posts

I hate these filthy neutrals Kif. With enemies you know where you stand, but with neutrals? Who knows.

It sickens me.
My heart is made out of gold
I'm feeling unstoppable
Nothing can stand in my waaaaAAAaaaayyy
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wearelivingart@protonmail
Top Bottom