Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight set for August 26th in Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

How will you watch Mayweather vs Mcregor?

• I will order the PPV

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I will go out and watch it at a bar/pub/theater

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I will eat cookies

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • I will not watch this fight in any way

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
EDIT: oh my god. i thought you were talking about his first sentence, but you meant about the 'how did you get on FS1 (to the hall of fame fighter), I can't get on FS1 (by far the worst 'journalist' currently employed)

lol

Yes, I was referring to Ariel making a point that even he couldnt get on Fox how did Randy!

Fucking guy, Randy should have smacked him.

Noise

Ruido
The real story is - like, the incredible hotbed of shitty street artists plaguing the Great Ire. My god, I haven't seen that level of basic bitch lines and sub-par graffiti throw-up's like that since I last visited Twentynine Palms.

Bansky we hardly knew ye.

thumper

Staff member
I've put $10 on him to win by KO in each of the first four rounds. Just for shits & giggles really, will only make a couple of hundred if he gets the upset but what the hey, why not right?
If he pulls it off I'll go fucking mental.
exactly

honestly had I known what the numbers would come in now, I would have put $100 on Conor to win straight when he was like +1800 and floyd was like -2100

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Amir Khan concerned for McGregor’s health in Mayweather fight: ‘He might never fight again’

“I see a lot of punches hurting [McGregor],” Khan told Ariel Helwani in a special edition of The MMA Hour (h/t Peter Carroll of MMA Fighting). “He has a good chin, but if you keep getting hit on that chin, numerous times at the same point ... how much punishment can your body take?

“That’s why I’m saying that he needs to think about himself in this fight because if he gets seriously injured, he might not be the same fighter ever again.

“He might never fight again.”

The 30-year-old Khan believes ‘Money’ is going to ‘school’ McGregor after he finds his rhythm in the opening rounds.

“Looking at it as a fight, I just think that Mayweather is going to school him,” he said.

“After two rounds Mayweather is going to know exactly what McGregor is doing in the fight and he’s going to clean him.”

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Dana White claims Mayweather vs. McGregor did 6.5 million buys
UFC President Dana White claimed in a conversation posted on Instagram that the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor fight on Saturday night did 6.5 million pay-per-view buys.
[DOUBLEPOST=1504154903,1504154209][/DOUBLEPOST]Boxing trainer explains why Floyd Mayweather wore a ski mask during walkout in Conor McGregor fight
“To us in the boxing culture, we were kind of laughing about it because it’s Floyd Mayweather’s ode to the movie ‘Dead Presidents.’ Where he put the ski mask on because it’s a bank robbery,” Reyes said on the Fight Society podcast (transcribed by MMA Weekly).

“Basically he was saying it was a heist. Like Conor actually believed he could beat Floyd Mayweather and all that happened was he got fooled into the biggest pay-per-view, the biggest payday opportunity of all time.

“That’s why he put on the ski mask, which I thought was pretty awesome.”

Even if McGregor was “fooled” into the biggest payday of his career, it was nonetheless an exciting fight for fans to watch as McGregor showed signs of success in the early rounds. However, Reyes claimed that it was a walk in the park for Mayweather.

“If you don’t know boxing, then you won’t understand why that was such an easy fight for Floyd.”

thumper

Staff member
The only reason conor had any success is because floyd was letting him swing himself to death. if you don't believe it, watch the fight again. at the end of ROUND 2. Conor is sitting at his corner, heaving his chest to get air, with ice bags front and back with his crew telling him how great he's doing. Floyd is in his corner, nobody touching him, he's barely sweating, and he's not even breathing hard.

it's so obvious, I can't believe people are so delusional to think conor did well. Floyd tries to bet $400,000 on himself to KO after the 9th. he only gets a partial amount bet by his friend. And people don't get that's the only reason he survived? He optimized his over/under and allowed the fight to go EXACTLY that long. lol. Truth be told I think it was easier than he anticipated and almost finished him at the end of the 9th

Did they not see how fast he was once he actually started to fight? a greatly slowed down, 2 year retired, 40 year old Floyd Mayweather that trained 3 days per week and didn't spar at all the last month, fighting a guy that is legitimately 2 weight classes bigger, with a massive reach and height advantage

it's hilarious. but the next guy to get Conor the boxing can is getting a gift. because floyd allowed him to appear that he could box for a few rounds. Paulie, GGG or Canelo (shit anyone in the top 100, probably 200) will get the easiest fight of their career, just like Floyd. only reason he'll only be fighting someone high profile, or Paulie, is because $.

Just to close this stupidity down. If you watch taht fight you could string together a minute or two of highlights making mcnugget look good. Why? because he had nobody punching back. But with paulie they could onlly get 25 seconds? You seriously think Paulie did better than Floyd? lol

My guess is that whole rivalry with paulie was set up because they knew they had no chance against floyd so starting a beef with another retired fighter might be his only shot at 1-1, which will never happen. Paulie sparred him fat, after a 12 hour flight and they still only came up with about 25 seconds of highlights

Last edited:

VimyRidge

The only reason conor had any success is because floyd was letting him swing himself to death. if you don't believe it, watch the fight again. at the end of ROUND 2. Conor is sitting at his corner, heaving his chest to get air, with ice bags front and back with his crew telling him how great he's doing. Floyd is in his corner, nobody touching him, he's barely sweating, and he's not even breathing hard.

it's so obvious, I can't believe people are so delusional to think conor did well. Floyd tries to bet $400,000 on himself to KO after the 9th. he only gets a partial amount bet by his friend. And people don't get that's the only reason he survived? He optimized his over/under and allowed the fight to go EXACTLY that long. lol. Truth be told I think it was easier than he anticipated and almost finished him at the end of the 9th

Did they not see how fast he was once he actually started to fight? a greatly slowed down, 2 year retired, 40 year old Floyd Mayweather that trained 3 days per week and didn't spar at all the last month, fighting a guy that is legitimately 2 weight classes bigger, with a massive reach and height advantage

it's hilarious. but the next guy to get Conor the boxing can is getting a gift. because floyd allowed him to appear that he could box for a few rounds. Paulie, GGG or Canelo (shit anyone in the top 100, probably 200) will get the easiest fight of their career, just like Floyd. only reason he'll only be fighting someone high profile, or Paulie, is because $.

Just to close this stupidity down. If you watch taht fight you could string together a minute or two of highlights making mcnugget look good. Why? because he had nobody punching back. But with paulie they could onlly get 25 seconds? You seriously think Paulie did better than Floyd? lol

My guess is that whole rivalry with paulie was set up because they knew they had no chance against floyd so starting a beef with another retired fighter might be his only shot at 1-1, which will never happen. Paulie sparred him fat, after a 12 hour flight and they still only came up with about 25 seconds of highlights
I heard Mayweather even let Conor land an upper cut.

Palma

I am chaos

It's amazing how Floyd not only wanted to bet on a finish in the 9th, but Conor also couldn't keep his hands up in the 9th.

Give me a break. Floyd clearly was going to win, but he didn't try and finish Conor until Conor couldn't defend himself. It had nothing to do with prop bets, or when he chose to finish the fight.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Doctor: Conor McGregor suffered mild traumatic brain injury in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather
From his post on TONIC:

Byrd's calculation to call a stoppage was likely not based on signs of fatigue, but rather signs of traumatic brain injury. Ataxia, or dizziness and loss of balance, is one of the hallmarks of concussion, a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Fatigue may cause sluggish and slow movements, but does not cause the imbalance and poor coordination exhibited by McGregor in the 10th round. Being wobbly, in the setting of pugilistic trauma, will always be treated as the result of head trauma and not as fatigue. To let a fighter continue on would be grossly negligent.

NotSoDarkAngel

Did Conor seriously say "A little more time and we could have made the 12 cleanly"? This fight has been in the works for months and he's claiming he didn't have enough time? That's right up there with his "I wasn't hurt, I just get a little wobbly when I get tired.

thumper

Staff member
Did Conor seriously say "A little more time and we could have made the 12 cleanly"? This fight has been in the works for months and he's claiming he didn't have enough time? That's right up there with his "I wasn't hurt, I just get a little wobbly when I get tired.
yup. he seriously believe he did well.
[DOUBLEPOST=1504284812,1504284743][/DOUBLEPOST]
He got punched in the head too much. Got it.
Exactly. he had a concussion.

BUt seriously, CTE is CHRONIC. how would a ref recognize that? I don't know medical terms but doesn't 'chronic' means something that's gone on for months? how could anyone pick that up from watching a boxing match?

EDIT: nevermind, he didn't say he noticed CTE, he was refering to TBI

-
The organ the ringside physician is concerned about when a fighter displays ataxia is the brain, and the specific part is a small area near the back of the skull called the cerebellum. The cerebellum functions to coordinate and regulate movements, and when it's injured, will result in lack of precision and accurate timing of body movements. It is typically tested by the finger to nose test, during which any abnormalities will be noticeably amplified by an outstretched finger. The cerebellum frequently exhibits malfunction during concussion and traumatic brain injury due to its location at the back of the skull, predisposing it to something called a contrecoup injury. This occurs when a force is applied to the front of the skull, such as a Mayweather punch, causing the brain to accelerate backwards and hit the back of the skull. Global brain rotational forces and acceleration/deceleration will also contribute to cerebellar injury.

McGregor maintained, "it's not damage, there's always a patch in my fights where I go through this fatigue stage… but I wasn't rocked." As an Irishman and self-admitted McGregor fan, I would like to believe him, but as a physician and former ringside doctor, I believe the fight was stopped for his own safety. Byrd did an excellent job by stopping the fight when he did, as I'm certain the ringside physician and all members of the Association of Ringside Physicians would agree.

It was an entertaining contest, and while he is likely devastated by the loss, McGregor should be quite pleased by his performance against arguably the best boxer who has ever lived (certainly the most successful). Continuing the fight would have put McGregor at risk for continued head trauma, risking a future of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or at worst, repetitive damage leading to a severe traumatic brain injury such as a brain bleed. It wouldn't be the first time a boxer experienced this, as was tragically the case just this year to young Daniel Franco, who required emergency neurosurgery to save his life.

Darragh O'Carroll, MD, is a former ringside doctor and an emergency physician in Hawaii.

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...wasnt-fatigued-he-was-at-risk-of-brain-damage

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I'll come running to tie your shoes.
God damn your righteous hand
I was talking like two hands knocking, yelling "let me in, let me in, please come out."
RIP Ennio Morricone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks