5x Pick 'Ems Winner
[DOUBLEPOST=1497476430,1497476349][/DOUBLEPOST]Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather happening Aug. 26 in Las VegasUnbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather will fight UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in a much-discussed boxing match on Aug. 26 in Las Vegas, a well-placed source told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday. Mayweather is expected to make the announcement on social media as early as Wednesday.
The bout will be distributed via Showtime pay-per-view. It will be an entirely boxing card. Mayweather Promotions will be the lead promoter.
It is a stunning development given that Mayweather, the greatest boxer of his era, had said he was retired after compiling a 49-0 pro record from 1996 through 2015. But with a fight which could pay each man in excess of $100 million, he reconsidered.
Neither UFC president Dana White, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe or Showtime’s Stephen Espinoza could be reached for comment.
Mayweather is considered the greatest boxer of his generation and among the best of all-time. The fight with McGregor, in addition to paying him in excess of nine figures, will give him the opportunity to improve to 50-0.
Jeff Sherman, the oddsmaker at the Westgate sports book in Las Vegas, made Mayweather a minus-1000 favorite. McGregor is plus-650.
The bout came together organically, as McGregor first spoke about his desire to fight Mayweather and then they began going back-and-forth on social media.
On March 15, White appeared on Conan O’Brien’s television show and said that because of the large amount of money involved, it was possible the deal was done.
Is this thing possible? Yeah, I think it’s possible. Do I think it can happen? I do, because there’s so much involved. But it’s a long, long way away from happening. We’re no closer today than we were when we were talking two months ago.
White had been in talks with Mayweather adviser Al Haymon since the beginning of the year. While the bout always seemed like a long shot because of McGregor’s lack of boxing experience, once the two principal negotiators got together, that made it far more real.
[DOUBLEPOST=1497476486][/DOUBLEPOST]Fast on the heels of an approved event request to the Nevada boxing commission, the much-ballyhooed meeting between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor is set to go down.
Citing a “well-placed source,” Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole today wrote that the bout will take place Aug. 26 in Las Vegas, the dateapproved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for an event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Iole said the boxing match will either take place at MGM or T-Mobile Arena, though the date is occupied by The BIG3 Championship Finals on the latter’s schedule.
There are few details confirmed on the McGregor vs. Mayweather deal. Per Iole’s report, Mayweather is expected to announce the fight on his social media as early as today.
McGregor appears to have beat Mayweather to the punch, though. The brash Irishman posted on his Instagram account: “The fight is on” in all caps.
McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC), who’s never boxed professionally,recently applied for a boxing license. He is taking on the undefeated multi-time champion Mayweather (49-0 boxing), who retired this past year after defending the WBA, WBC and The Ring and lineal welterweight titles in a fight with Andre Berto.
NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett has said he’ll have no problems approving the fight given McGregor’s background.
UFC President Dana White recently announced he’d come to terms with McGregor on a deal to fight Mayweather. The executive thinks the boxing event could eclipse the 4.6 million buy record set for pay-per-view buys with Mayweather’s mega-bout with Manny Pacquiao.