Conor McGregor Pulled From UFC 200 (1 Viewer)

Are you happy that McGregor's next opponent is Diaz?

• No, it should have been Edgar

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • No, it should have been Aldo

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • No, it should have been (other)

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Magny who's 10-1 since 2014 and Woodley who's 3-1 since 2014....Magny damn sure has earned it.

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
Nope. I'm with Woodley here. He was told "win it and you're in". He won it. He's gonna wait until the shot comes to him. Don't put it out there if you ain't gonna back it up.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
Nope. I'm with Woodley here. He was told "win it and you're in". He won it. He's gonna wait until the shot comes to him. Don't put it out there if you ain't gonna back it up.
It is a rarity that sitting out and depending on the UFC's word results in a title fight. It's his fault when he gets passed over imo. Complacency gets people nowhere.

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
It is a rarity that sitting out and depending on the UFC's word results in a title fight. It's his fault when he gets passed over imo. Complacency gets people nowhere.
Let's be real here.....

Woodley's wins are certainly lacking in WOW. The Condit win was due to injury, it was a close fight while it lasted, but its not like either guy was way ahead.
He beat an over matched Gas on a bad tank and missing weight. That fight should have never been made in the first place, but woodley won, although he didn't exactly look spectacular.
He looked great beating Stun Gun, who is a legit top 10 fighter.
Lost to Rory and to Shields (and yes he lost that fight, he looked like hot garbage)
Its not his fault Hendricks blew his weight. And its not his fault that a title shot was on the line there.

But, when we pull the curtain back on the WW division, can we honestly say that anyone has done enough to warrant a title shot? NOPE. Does Woodley make the most sense at this point? YUP.

Condit and Rory both had their chances, and while epic fights, they lost.

Wonderboy needs another top 5 win. Magny needs a great performance against a top 5 guy to secure a shot. They don't seem to want Maia anywhere near the title picture looking at the fights he's been given.

Like it or not Woodley is the only logical choice. Condit is 2-4 in his last 6 and its not like he's a Diaz and fans fork over their money to watch him fight, although he's a great fighter. But how do you justify 2-4 in a title fight? Rory absolutely has a claim to the shot. But he's had it already. One more win and he can get another one.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
Let's be real here.....

Woodley's wins are certainly lacking in WOW. The Condit win was due to injury, it was a close fight while it lasted, but its not like either guy was way ahead.
He beat an over matched Gas on a bad tank and missing weight. That fight should have never been made in the first place, but woodley won, although he didn't exactly look spectacular.
Lost to Rory and to Shields (and yes he lost that fight, he looked like hot garbage)
Its not his fault Hendricks blew his weight. And its not his fault that a title shot was on the line there.

But, when we pull the curtain back on the WW division, can we honestly say that anyone has done enough to warrant a title shot? NOPE. Does Woodley make the most sense at this point? YUP.

Wonderboy needs another top 5 win. Magny needs a great performance against a top 5 guy to secure a shot. They don't seem to want Maia anywhere near the title picture looking at the fights he's been given.

Like it or not Woodley is the only logical choice. Condit is 2-4 in his last 6 and its not like he's a Diaz and fans fork over their money to watch him fight, although he's a great fighter. But how do you justify 2-4 in a title fight? Rory absolutely has a claim to the shot. But he's had it already. One more win and he can get another one.
If they book the fight today, I completely agree that Woodley is the logical choice. I think it will be Lawler/Woodley. Now, Woodley is hedging his bets that Lawler does not get injured.

The way Woodley loses the title shot is if Lawler doesn't fight for another 6 months. I can see them hyping the winner of MacDonald/Thompson hard. The Rory rematch is definitely saleable given the last match. If it's Thompson, they have plenty of highlight reels to combine with a raspy, intense, low voice for some promos.

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
Woodley isn't getting a title shot next. If you're DW and Joe Silva and you're planning Lawlers next fight, are you going to go with a guy who has made a hardline stance against fighting anyone else but Lawler, who hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the process or are you going with Condit again who is an easy sell from an entertainment standpoint who arguably just beat the champ and lost a razor thin decision? That rematch is easy to sell and both guys are calling for it.

Condit/Lawler 2 is going to be booked for UFC 200, write it down. Woodley absolutely should be booked against Magny. That's a perfect fight for the both of them.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Faber says he advised McGregor to 'work on his jits'
Many attribute McGregor’s loss to his grappling disadvantage, going up against an elite-level black belt such as Diaz. Apparently, Urijah Faber shares the same sentiment.

"He got whooped," Faber told TMZ Sports. "He didn’t even fight the hands, man. I’ve been trying to tell Conor, ‘you gotta work on your jits.’ But Diaz is tough, man. A lot of people don’t know how tough Diaz is."

UFC's Jon Anik: I'd like to see Conor McGregor vacate the 145 title
"In terms of the featherweight division, I'm never a fan of guys cutting a bunch of weight," Anik said. "You're seeing what Robert Whittaker has been able to do at 185 pounds even though he was very successful at 170. I don't like guys cutting too much weight, so I'd kinda like to see Conor vacate the title and fight at 155 or higher going forward."

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Let's be real here.....

Wonder boy needs another top 5 win and Magny needs a top 5 win but Woodley makes sense with no top 5 wins? Makes sense.

Mr. Cornute

Prince of Saiyan...stuff.
Yeah it should be........

Main Event - Conor McGregor vs Frankie Edgar for the FW Title
Co-Main Event - RDA vs Nate Diaz for the LW Title
Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunez for the Women's BW Title
Holly Holm vs Cat Zingano
Mark Hunt vs Josh Barnett
Neil Magny vs Tyron Woodley
Ryan Bader vs Alexander Gustaffson
Jacare vs Michael Bisping

Or if RDA can't go, give Nate Diaz vs Alvarez and Lawler vs Condit II
I actually like this card. The only thing that I would change is Ryan Bader v OSP II & Woodley v Lawler if he is available.

The Tyrannical Teabag

People are just assuming that it's Conor's idea and he should be obliged to defend the featherweight belt. Conor said after that fight he was going back to to 145 and defending the belt. I think it's safe to assume that the UFC, after seeing what that fight did on 11 days notice, is taking advantage of 3-4 months worth of buildup by having this headline UFC 200. They know that neither McGregor or Diaz is likely to back out for injury. They know the trash talk is going to be epic and they know the hype will be at a boil immediately, let alone after 3-4 months of buildup. This fight will be huge for them and they know it. It will be bigger than Edgar or Aldo.

Here's my thing. Didn't UFC 100 have 3 title fights? Where are the title fights for this one? Jones and Cormer and Cejudo/Johnson fight in April. Then you have Cruz/Faber & Weidman/Rockhold in June. Dos Anjos has been mum since he broke his foot and who is to say he's even healthy enough to train for a fight by July. Werdum/Miocic are scheduled to fight already. That only leaves Tate to fight someone (which I believe will happen at UFC 200 whether she fights Rousey, Nunes, Cyborg or Holm remains to be seen.) And Lawler/Condit 2 is likely to happen at UFC 200 as well. So if Tate doesn't defend her title, and we know McGregor isn't defending his, that just leaves the welterweight belt, which is very unlike the UFC for one of these special attraction events like this. They're going to have to stack the shit out of this card with some number one contender fights in addition to McGregor/Diaz and Condit/Lawler II (which hasn't been announced but is a shoe in for that event.)

It's too bad Nick Diaz can't come back until August. I'd love to see him on this card. Can you imagine the shit storm of promoting 2 Diaz brothers on one fight card.
They said 150 was going to be comparable to 100 when they announced it and it was dog shit.

dan the man

Gina Carano's personal sex slave
Bad fucking move for McGregor. The loss certainly took some of the wind out of his sails, and if he loses to Nate again, the hype train may come to a complete halt. He should be defending his belt, or vacating it - one or the other. As far as moving up weights, he should go no higher than LW, as he needs to maintain reach advantage to give him his edge. Just my $0.02.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Condit & Stun Gun have been top 7 guys for years.
The Condit win was flukey, you said so yourself. And Stun gun isn't top 5. You call for guys to fight top 5 guys when Woodley isn't beating top 5 guys.

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
The Condit win was flukey, you said so yourself. And Stun gun isn't top 5. You call for guys to fight top 5 guys when Woodley isn't beating top 5 guys.
Who else has a top 5 win and hasn't fought for a title?

We can break it down on resume (again) and whether you like it or not, Woodley is the only choice of fighters that hasn't already had their shot at the title. Yeah the Condit win was flukey, but that's the nature of the sport.

Who else can make a claim to the title shot that hasn't already gotten one?

sourdough

Sourdough
Site Donor
Who else has a top 5 win and hasn't fought for a title?

We can break it down on resume (again) and whether you like it or not, Woodley is the only choice of fighters that hasn't already had their shot at the title. Yeah the Condit win was flukey, but that's the nature of the sport.

Who else can make a claim to the title shot that hasn't already gotten one?
Wonderboy has just as much claim to a title shot as Woodley. He didn't just beat a top 5 guy but a top 2 guy that most people think should still be champ and the number 1 welterweight. He destroyed Hendricks as well. I would say Woodley is the most deserving fighter that isn't booked and he makes the most sense for Robbie to fight at UFC 200.
The Condit win was a great win. Condit might have suffered a freak knee injury but he was getting outclassed and whooped on the entire fight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kano wrote on Karen's profile.
Are you the Karen from the internet?
I'll come running to tie your shoes.
God damn your righteous hand
I was talking like two hands knocking, yelling "let me in, let me in, please come out."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks