Colby Covington says recent negotiations 'not fair,' sick of UFC treating him 'like crap'

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
New welterweight champ Kamaru Usman suffered fractured foot prior to UFC 235
On the ESPN+ post-fight show for UFC 235, Usman revealed he suffered a fractured foot in the run up to his title shot against Tyron Woodley.

“It definitely took a toll on my body,” the new champ said at the T-Mobile Arena which hosted the pay-per-view card in Las Vegas. “I had to go struggle and go through so much adversity just to get here.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1551628407,1551628355][/DOUBLEPOST]Colby Covington not buying Kamaru Usman title shot promise 'until I'm locked in that cage'
Covington was informed of this development during an interview on the UFC 235 post-fight show on ESPN+, but he didn’t sound convinced.

“Nah, I wasn’t aware of that,” Covington told reporter Brett Okamoto. “But I’ve been told that before, so I’m not going to believe anything until I’m locked in that cage. Obviously there was promises made before and it wasn’t promises kept. I’m a man of my word, so I hope they’re a man of their word and keep their word this time.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1551628739][/DOUBLEPOST]Tyron Woodley felt ‘flat,’ ‘hypnotized,’ but wants a rematch with Kamaru Usman
“I gotta give him his respect,” Woodley said at the post-fight press conference at T-Mobile Arena. “Because like I said before I’ve been on the other side of the stick a lot. I’ve beat a lot of people up, knocked a lot of people out, won some close fights, that people may have thought they won so I just had to make sure he got his respect, his proper respect for winning tonight.”

But Woodley also knows this: Despite the one-sided nature of the defeat, he’s had his ups and downs in his career and always bounced back. So even though the bout wasn’t a close fight, he wants a rematch for the belt that he held for two years and seven months.

“We know what I’m capable of,” Woodley said.” I’m just looking to rematch and run it back, man. It was my fifth title defense, and I feel like, I’m the champion and what I’ve done for this organization, man, the performance may not have voiced for a rematch but I think my resume does.”

While some fighters will claim the pre-fight injuries, bad weight cuts, or any of dozens of other reasons caused their defeat after the fact, Woodley offered no such excuses after the bout, saying he felt good and sharp in warmups.

“It was an uncharacteristic fight of me,” Woodley said. “I kind of knew early on. Sometimes when I start a fight, I come out blazing, I come out with combinations, I kind of get in that rhythm and I stay in that rhythm. This time it was just something real weird. He was dropping down and squatting all low and it was almost like i was hypnotized like I know you’re about to shoot, I’m trying to time what you do so I can hit you with those uppercuts, and I then I think I got to the point I was just waiting on him to shoot.”

But when Usman came out and implement his game plan, Woodley simply couldn’t find another gear.

“Tonight it was just weird,” Woodley said. “I was just flat and I don’t know why but when you’re on this stage you can’t have a bad night.”

UFC president Dana White indicated former interim champion Colby Covington will be next in line for Usman. Woodley, for his part, said any of a number of things can happen between now and whenever that fight might be scheduled, so he’s going to stay ready.

“You never know,” Woodley said. “People get injured, things happen. Colby might pull a couple more stunts and kick himself off the title fight, so I’m just going to be prepared. I think like I said before as a champion that took out Robbie Lawler who was fighter of the year twice, defended his belt four times, I feel like a rematch, Colby has been kind of sitting around trying to call the shots but if that’s what the organization wants to do, it’s their organization.”

Until then, despite Saturday’s outcome, Woodley firmly believes a rematch will go the other way.

“We know what I’m capable of,” Woodley said. I’m just looking to rematch and run it back, man. It’s my fifth title defense, and I feel I’m the champion and what I do for this organization, the performance may not have involved for a rematch but I think my resume does.
[DOUBLEPOST=1551634440][/DOUBLEPOST]New UFC champ Kamaru Usman plans on 'brutalizing' Colby Covington in first defense
“I want to (expletive) that guy up so badly,” Usman said after the fight. “I can’t be in a room with that guy. I can’t. I can’t be in a room with him. I just can’t. I can’t wait to heal up and really put my hands on him. That’s one I’m going to enjoy brutalizing him.”

Mr. Cornute

Prince of Saiyan...stuff.
Check this out, I'm normally in full favor of long term champs getting a rematch...BUT that's on one of those disputed decisions or a flash KO, not a thorough domination by the then challenger. I like Woodley, think he's a damn good fighter but I do not believe in any way that he deserves an immediate rematch. Even IF Colby can't make the next title fight I would prefer to see another challenger and have Woodley fight a top contender and win convincingly to set up a rematch. Sort of the Rose v JJ situation, Rose dominated her the first fight so I didn't inherently need to see the second but after the second I definitely do not want to see a third unless she were to clear out the division (context). If Woodley happens to get an immediate rematch and then loses said rematch, even as a fan of Woodley, I would have no vested interest in seeing him fight Usman a third time.

Qball1974

Tired
Site Donor
Check this out, I'm normally in full favor of long term champs getting a rematch...BUT that's on one of those disputed decisions or a flash KO, not a thorough domination by the then challenger. I like Woodley, think he's a damn good fighter but I do not believe in any way that he deserves an immediate rematch. Even IF Colby can't make the next title fight I would prefer to see another challenger and have Woodley fight a top contender and win convincingly to set up a rematch. Sort of the Rose v JJ situation, Rose dominated her the first fight so I didn't inherently need to see the second but after the second I definitely do not want to see a third unless she were to clear out the division (context). If Woodley happens to get an immediate rematch and then loses said rematch, even as a fan of Woodley, I would have no vested interest in seeing him fight Usman a third time.
Also Woodley's not a needle mover and Dana doesn't like him,

he wont be getting a sniff at that belt for a long time if ever.

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
For the love of god, everyone please stop saying Tyron should fight RDA. Poor RDA needs a fight that isn't 25 minutes of getting his brain thumped or 1 minute of car crash. Like a nice slow bike ride maybe.

thumper

Staff member
My dislike for Colby grows stronger every time I see him say something stupid, or do something stupid like taking a camera in to confront dana at a BJ table which is so uncool it's hard to know where to start.

On another topic:
Also, Now that Woodley lost so overwhelmingly badly, I wonder what his longevity is in the UFC now. Honestly, I'd like to see them release him and let him go to ONE, or Bellator etc. Anywhere that could get a marketing team behind him and promote him.

I can't stand him personally, but holy shit he's usually fun to watch fight. I still don't know what was up Saturday but that just didn't seem like the Woodley we've all watched for years.

ANyway, one thing I can say for sure is I'm super glad these guys have options now to leave the UFC and get paid. They can't gobble up these orgs like they did everyone else. And from what I've read it seems like the other orgs are stepping up.

At least they can get sponsors now. Granted they won't get nearly the $ from them, but now they have at least some optins

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
So Usman and that dirty MF'er Ali went to attack Colby in like a buffet line or some crazy shit. So the UFC will be fine with a manager throwing a punch at a fighter in public?

Anchorpunch

Site Donor
Guys, I never thought I'd have to write a message like this to you all. I'm just so upset, so frustrated, but I won't let it get me down.

Some of you from the weed thread know that I took a job recently that's HQ'd in Chicago. When I arrived today, I was getting a breakfast sandwich after taking the blue line into the city from the airport. And, while I looked at my delicious sandwich from Dunkin that had applewood bacon on it, Colby Covington ran up behind me and yelled "THIS IS SHERDOG COUNTRY" before hitting me and wrapping a keyboard wire around my neck.

I'm in tears. And my coworkers said that they don't believe me. I'm so angry with people who say that Colby isn't even in Chicago and I'm just playing on the current climate of anti-MMA media sentiment.

I'M THE MMA INTERNET'S TUPAC!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Battalion Fourteen raise your hands. You are code named Operation Get Behind The Darkies! And try not to get killed for God's sake!
Battalion Five raise your hands. You are the all important first attack wave, code named: Operation Human Shield!
An owner who hits a male or female slave in the eye and destroys it must let the slave go free to compensate for the eye.
Is this thing on?
If 2020 was a math problem: if you're going down river at 2MPH and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithCracks
Top Bottom