Cain Velasquez signs multiyear deal with WWE, leaving the UFC and retiring from MMA (1 Viewer)

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Cain Velasquez signs multiyear deal with WWE, leaving the UFC and retiring from MMA

LAS VEGAS -- One of the greatest MMA heavyweights of all time is now a full-time professional wrestler.

Cain Velasquez, the former two-time UFC heavyweight champion, has signed a lucrative, multiyear deal with WWE and has also notified the UFC of his retirement, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Velasquez has been removed from the UFC's USADA drug-testing pool and the UFC heavyweight rankings.

The UFC did not immediately return a request for comment.

WWE is expected to make the announcement about Velasquez's future at a news conference at T-Mobile Arena on Friday. Tyson Fury, boxing's lineal heavyweight champion, will also be at the news conference for a potential future WWE match.

Velasquez, 37, made his WWE debut last Friday on SmackDown, confronting former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE champion Brock Lesnar.

In 2010, Velasquez defeated Lesnar by knockout to win the UFC heavyweight title. At the time of that show, Velasquez told ESPN he was in advanced talks with WWE.

Velasquez had two pro wrestling matches for Mexico's Lucha Libre AAA promotion in August and September. He was impressive in those performances and drew interest from WWE, upstart AEW and New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

Velasquez joins the likes of Lesnar and Ronda Rousey as former UFC champions to have joined the WWE roster. The two promotions have long had talent bounce back and forth, going back to the early UFC days when Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn were stars in both.

Velasquez (14-3) won the UFC heavyweight belt in 2010 and then again in 2012. He owns victories over the likes of Junior dos Santos (twice), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Lesnar, but injuries to his knees, back and shoulders marred his run atop the division.

He has fought just three times since 2013. He dropped the heavyweight title toFabricio Werdum in 2015 and rebounded to beat Travis Browne at UFC 200 in 2016.

Velasquez, with a provision that he could also perform in pro wrestling, returned to the UFC earlier this year against Francis Ngannou and lost by knockout.

"This is definitely my focus," Velasquez said of pro wrestling last week. "My family is into it. They love it. They're super excited. I haven't seen them excited over something like this in a while. It's cool."

FrankieButNotEdgar

Site Donor
He won’t be able to stay healthy. Pro wrestling is way worse on your body, except maybe your brain than MMA is. Unless they give him a favorable schedule where he only has tv appearances and performs a couple times a month, he will be hurt a lot.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
He won’t be able to stay healthy. Pro wrestling is way worse on your body, except maybe your brain than MMA is. Unless they give him a favorable schedule where he only has tv appearances and performs a couple times a month, he will be hurt a lot.
He most definitely will not be working anything resembling a full time schedule.

Kevo

SMOKE BOMB!
He's gonna get that Brock Lesnar schedule. He won't be on the ride 300 times a year. In the next calendar year I bet he wrestles 7 times

kc56

As a (former) wrestling fan: Cain looked absolutely old, injured and hobbled around looking like a shirtless guy from the crowd in a knee brace.

The action sucked and I’m waiting to read he re-injured himself during his one move

He’s gonna need a bunch of work and juice.

As a MMA fan: good for Cain for getting paid.

Noise

Ruido
I hope they teach him how to lie better than he did after Francis knocked him the fuck out.

We could have had Black Fedor; and Cain's busted overrated ass stole that from us.

See you in hell, "Cain" – Hope by then you've grown a fucking personality, nerd.

disposableassassin

Mutatis Mutandis
Site Donor
As a (former) wrestling fan: Cain looked absolutely old, injured and hobbled around looking like a shirtless guy from the crowd in a knee brace.

The action sucked and I’m waiting to read he re-injured himself during his one move

He’s gonna need a bunch of work and juice.

As a MMA fan: good for Cain for getting paid.

He could totally work a match with brock now.

Bran

The wolf dead.
Cain has gotta be the best MMA guy to make the jump, right? Brock was a bigger draw, sure, but never a #1 guy. Shamrock was probably a bigger name, but never the fighter Cain was. Riddle and Lawlor were never top guys either. This is pretty interesting.

though I guess Ronda would be comparable

thumper

Picogrammar
Staff member
Cain has gotta be the best MMA guy to make the jump, right? Brock was a bigger draw, sure, but never a #1 guy. Shamrock was probably a bigger name, but never the fighter Cain was. Riddle and Lawlor were never top guys either. This is pretty interesting.

though I guess Ronda would be comparable
i think ronda lost way too much credibility before she got shit out the bottom of mma.
cain could be great and from that clip he sure seems to be getting it down, but man for a guy that gets hurt as often as he did in MMA i can't help but think it's going to be worse in wrestling.

Bran

The wolf dead.
i think ronda lost way too much credibility before she got shit out the bottom of mma.
cain could be great and from that clip he sure seems to be getting it down, but man for a guy that gets hurt as often as he did in MMA i can't help but think it's going to be worse in wrestling.
I think Cain’s injuries were mostly attributed to training too hard, which shouldn’t be too big of an issue in WWE. He’ll have a limited schedule and won’t be wrestling the kinds of matches most guys do on account of his star power.

As for Ronda, regardless of how she ended her career, she was the definitive #1 female in MMA for what, 5 years? But while most people thought he was proven the best in the world, he still came up short against JDS and Werdum. So while one can make the argument that Cain never achieved his potential, Ronda certainly did. Also, Ronda had a lot more drawing power than Cain ever did.

Bear in mind, I say all that as a guy that couldn’t stand Ronda throughout her career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel