Cable/Internet Monopoly

Hassquatch

Slayer
Why is Comcast, DirecTV, Verizon not considered monopolies?

My only two choices in my area are Comcast or DirecTV for cable and for internet it's only Comcast or Verizon. Okay, for the internet, there may be a few other low quality providers.

Comcast regularly raises rates for the same service. Numerous charges that are not explained. When they overcharge you, they refuse to credit the overcharge back to your bank account and insist on you having it taken off your next bill.

Customer service is horrible. You wait how long to speak to someone only to have your phone call dropped and they don't even bother to contact the number on your account.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
If there's two corporations that offer the service then it's not a monopoly. Duopolies aren't illegal.

Can you hear me now?

Sniggles

ex nihilo
Why is Comcast, DirecTV, Verizon not considered monopolies?

My only two choices in my area are Comcast or DirecTV for cable and for internet it's only Comcast or Verizon. Okay, for the internet, there may be a few other low quality providers.

Comcast regularly raises rates for the same service. Numerous charges that are not explained. When they overcharge you, they refuse to credit the overcharge back to your bank account and insist on you having it taken off your next bill.

Customer service is horrible. You wait how long to speak to someone only to have your phone call dropped and they don't even bother to contact the number on your account.
If Comcast gives it up the bum to you with customer service then why not switch off them? You vote with your money.

Plus, whenever I find shit customer service I call again. I call back and get elevated to the supervisor's supervisor to let them know their shit doesn't fly. Sometimes I get freebies and other times I feel good having ranted and reported that shit service so less people get it in return.

Corporations are like the mafia. There's always someone higher up that will have no problem giving a beatdown to their lackies when they preform poorly. They want your fuckin' money and your seal of approval.

Any high level business knows that it is not about that one month free they give you, it is about the other 11 months of the year and the next decades of your life. They want your business and they want your seal of approval to your friends/family. Any company wants you hooked. They want repeat customers because it costs less to keep a customer than to pay the customer acquisition cost repeatedly to recover lost clients due to poor service. They know this but they don't want you to know this. Because it might give you some feeling of empowerment or something foolish like that.

Last edited:

Hassquatch

Slayer
One is cable, one is satellite.

I'm cancelling after making sure my next bill is credited properly. DirecTv sucks too.

Neganomics

Your Trusted Web M.Deezy
I think we're going to see an enormous change in the cable/satellite industry with the rise and expansion of streaming services. Not just Netflix and Hulu, but devices like Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, etc.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
I think we're going to see an enormous change in the cable/satellite industry with the rise and expansion of streaming services. Not just Netflix and Hulu, but devices like Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, etc.
One of those can be hacked for unlimited TV/movies.

Last edited:

Hassquatch

Slayer
Monopoly aside. You guys cool with having 2-3 nationwide corporations rather than smaller regionally based companies serving their own area?

Dimson

Your tears don't fall...
I dropped cable, I just have internet now. I stream all my t.v. and movies.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
Monopoly aside. You guys cool with having 2-3 nationwide corporations rather than smaller regionally based companies serving their own area?
Start your own cable company or move! Yet another problem solved by Sniggles.

What you are complaining about is the same thing happening everywhere. This is a problem in Vancouver as well. We have Shaw or Telus then we have another super shit company called Bell. You gotta play them against each other like a kid playing his parents on each other for a yes.

Cable is highly unnecessary for anything other than your local news. You can get anything on the internets nowadays if you aren't an un-tech savvy mong, which you don't appear to be.

Treat the cable like an ex you broke up with. 30 days no contact and decide if its worth having around afterwards.

Last edited:

Hassquatch

Slayer
Start your own cable company or move! Yet another problem solved by Sniggles.

What you are complaining about is the same thing happening everywhere. This is a problem in Vancouver as well. We have Shaw or Telus then we have another super shit company called Bell. You gotta play them against each other like a kid playing his parents on each other for a yes.

Cable is highly unnecessary for anything other than your local news. You can get anything on the internets nowadays if you aren't an un-tech savvy mong, which you don't appear to be.

Treat the cable like an ex you broke up with. 30 days no contact and decide if its worth having around afterwards.
I'm definitely having sex with the box before I break up.

jokerthief

No reason to get excited.
Site Donor
If there's two corporations that offer the service then it's not a monopoly. Duopolies aren't illegal.

Can you hear me now?
They don't offer the same service. First, Direct TV doesn't offer cable or phone. Second, if you live in a snowy place like I do, Direct TV sucks ass because snow sometimes interrupts the signal. I'll never live in the country ever again. Cable is the only way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Miz
Two weeks down of my new job. Glad it’s Friday. Hope all you guys are well.
Life a fucking bitch but this bitch ain't divorcin' me
This 240hz monitor is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
You'll be the hero of the neighbourhood,
Nobody knows that you've left for good.
You're in the army now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evolveny
Top Bottom