Benson Henderson is free to get his money’s worth (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
ONE CEO: Ben Askren vs. Benson Henderson is a fight 'the world would want to watch'
"A Ben vs. Ben story is definitely an interesting matchup that the world would want to watch," Cui told MMA Fighting.

Cui said that no one from ONE has spoken to Henderson at this time and warned that any other promotion saying it has is either lying or "doesn't know the business." Right now, the UFC has an exclusive negotiating window with Henderson. Once that is up, the UFC will then have a right to match any other contract offers.

Henderson, 32, said Monday on The MMA Hour that he plans on fielding offers and it is his desire to make enough money to fully support his growing family.

ONE, which has considerable financial backing, has the ability to give Henderson what he wants from a money perspective. "Smooth" also has plenty to offer the biggest MMA organization in Asia. Not only is he a popular former champion who has headlined 10 UFC events, he is also of South Korean descent on his mother's side.

Henderson beat Jorge Masvidal in Seoul last month and said he was mobbed on the streets in his mother's home country. That's the kind of treatment former UFC fighter Brandon Vera gets when he goes to Manila. Vera is headlining ONE's event there Friday against Paul Cheng in a bout for the inaugural ONE heavyweight title.

"I think you've clearly seen our template that we look for, for talented fighters in the world," Cui said. "We want guys that believe in Asia, that can excite the Asian fans -- whether they have an Asian background or not. And that are top fighters in the world. If you've got that criteria, we're going to look at you. I would say that he has several of those check marks."

Henderson (23-5) is still one of the best lightweights in the world and he has won his last two bouts at welterweight against strong competition. Askren vs. Henderson would be one of the best fights outside the UFC that an organization could put on. Askren is an undefeated former Bellator welterweight champion and currently ONE's 170-pound champ.

Cui said normally when a star somewhere in the world becomes available, his or her team usually reaches out to ONE matchmaker Matt Hume or ONE vice president Rich Franklin rather quickly. He expects the same here once Henderson becomes available.

"We're lucky with Matt in general," Cui said. "The best fighters in the world reach out to Matt or Rich first, as opposed to us knocking on their doors. If you're in the fight industry, there's nobody who doesn't know Matt is our matchmaker or Rich Franklin is our vice president. If you don't know it, you're probably not a good fighter."

Henderson is a good fighter. An excellent one. As good as any that has become a free agent in recent years. Bellator and South Korea's ROAD FC have already expressed interest. Add ONE to that list, too.

"I've been a fan of his for a long time," Cui said.

Tapout

Bringing Sexy Back
Site Donor
Agh I wish I rep'd athletes @Sniggles as that is easy money. Negotiate a contract, make 10% on it. You get one good fighter, and you made a ton of money.

Most of the fighter agents/managers are bad at their jobs.

Sniggles

ex nihilo
Oh hell yeah most agents are bad at their jobs. I constantly deal with slimy realtors out to make a buck on one deal rather than build relationships through good service and looking out for their client's interest.

I just worked opposite a cokehead, in fact, who bragged about how little he does and the shit jobs he does writing doing his job, contracts and clauses. That guy will get sued to bankruptcy soon enough.

Good times.

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Benson Henderson's Bellator contract almost up, and he hopes to get one last good deal
Bellator lightweight Benson Henderson signed with the Viacom-owned promotion for six fights.

At Bellator 208, he’ll step into the cage for fight No. 6, and he’s uncertain about what comes next.

“I would probably say … leaving the UFC for Bellator was doing the best thing for my family, and being as set up financially as I could be,” Henderson, who meets Saad Awad on Saturday at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y., told MMAjunkie Radio. “I think the same thing for this next contract negotiation. Wherever I go, whoever I deal with, the same thing: I do what’s best for my family.”

Henderson (25-8 MMA, 2-3 BMMA) notes that his Bellator career hasn’t exactly gone the way he planned. A welterweight title fight in his debut against then-champ Andrey Koreshkov ended in a unanimous-decision loss, and he came up short in a lightweight title fight against then-champ Michael Chandler. Once known for eeking out split decisions, he lost a pair of them before rebounding in April with a stoppage of former UFC star Roger Huerta.

Finishing out a decade-plus career in Bellator is appealing to Henderson. He’s got nothing but good things to say about the way the promotion has treated him. Ultimately, though, his motivation for staying or leaving is the same as it was when he made the decision to defect from the UFC.

“This probably will be my last contract,” Henderson said. “I don’t want to fight forever. This will be my last contract. The opportunity where I can make good money is pretty small. One more good contract, and I’ll have to retire after that.

“I’m definitely going to go toward whoever gives me the best deal. Of course, it would be nice to go out with an organization who really wants you, chases you and pursues you, and wants to showcase you a little bit. That’s always appreciated.”

Poindexter

Staff member
Get that cheddar. He has looked underwhelming as of late, and he benefited from a more than a few errors in judging in the UFC, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel