Bellator Japan & Rizin: Fedor vs Rampage [also includes Chandler, MVP, Larkin] (1 Viewer)

Cat--Smasher

Putting the stamp on kids
Staff member
Bellator and Rizin FF to hold ‘historic’ event on Dec. 29 in Japan, Fedor on tap
An “emergency” press conference set for Wednesday in Tokyo is expected to announce Bellator’s debut in Japan.

Rizin FF CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara broke the news of the gathering on Monday, touting a “historical” cross-promotional event between the Japanese promotion and its American counterpart on Dec. 29 at a location to be announced.

Sakakibara will, of course, be in attendance at the presser, as will former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and Bellator president Scott Coker.

A Rizin FF official confirmed Sakakibara’s announcement to MMA Fighting. Coker could not immediately be reached for comment. The Bellator executive has long teased a trip overseas to the promotional home of its partner, with whom it shares talent.

Over the summer, Coker said the promotion was working on a major show with Rizin and teased the possibility of a heavyweight fight between Emelianenko and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, both of whom who once served under Sakikibara in the now-defunct PRIDE FC as major company stars.

Twelve years after Pride folded, Emelianenko and Jackson are now colleagues under the Bellator banner, and Jackson, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is now firmly committed to the big-man division.

Coker also presented the possibility of rekindling a long-dormant rivalry between Emelianenko and veteran heavyweight Josh Barnett, who recently signed with Bellator. The standouts were set to meet at Affliction: Trilogy in 2009 when a positive drug test scratched Barnett from the card, leading to the promotion’s rapid implosion.

Rizin and Pride are known for promoting blowout events on New Year’s Eve. Emelianenko has been a regular fixture of the year-end shows throughout his decorated career.

Bellator and RIZIN eyeing Fedor vs. Rampage, Bader vs. Prochazka
Bellator and RIZIN are eyeing a year-end show in Japan featuring some of the best fighters from both promotions. Reports indicate Bellator president Scott Coker and RIZIN bossman Nobuyuki Sakakibara are in talks for a main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, as well as a light heavyweight co-main event between Ryan Bader and Jiri Prochazka.

Veteran MMA scribe Josh Gross of The Athletic shared the news via Twitter that Bellator and RIZIN hope to have a card December 29 in Japan, and they hope to bill it as Emelianenko’s final fight in Japan.

It looks increasingly likely that Bellator will run a show Dec. 29 in Japan. Main event being discussed is Rampage Jackson vs. Fedor Emelianenko, and it would be billed as the Russian's final fight in Japan.

— Josh Gross (@yay_yee) September 8, 2019

Gross followed that up with another tweet hinting at a light heavyweight bout between double champ Bader and Prochazka, the RIZIN light heavyweight champ.

Bellator is in talks with Nobuyuki Sakakibara to collaborate on a pair of late December events in Japan, and Scott Coker told me he wants to bring Ryan Bader with him to challenge the Rizin light heavyweight champion, Jiri Porchazka. https://t.co/QLk5qM75Te

— Josh Gross (@yay_yee) September 8, 2019

Emelianenko (38-6, 1 NC) is coming off of a KO loss to Ryan Bader in the finals of the Bellator heavyweight grand prix. To get that far in the tournament, Emelianenko defeated Frank Mir and Chael Sonnen by knockout to rebound from the KO loss to suffered to Matt Mitrione in his Bellator debut. At 42-years-old, Emelianenko is apparently nearing the end of his illustrious career.

Jackson (38-13) knocked out Wanderlei Silva in the pair’s fourth bout last year. Prior to that he had lost to Chael Sonnen and Muhammad Lawal in fights where he was outwrestled. Jackson was recently back on the scene entering the cage after Bader vs. Cheick Kongo, but apparently his next foe will be Emelianenko instead.

Bader (27-5, 1 NC) is coming off of a No Contest against Kongo that snapped a seven-fight win streak. Instead of fighting Kongo in a heavyweight rematch, it looks like Bellator wants Bader to move back down in weight to defend his other belt. He knocked out Emelianenko earlier this year.

Prochazka (24-3-1) is not a big name to casual fans but the RIZIN champ is currently riding an eight-fight win streak, including a huge TKO win over Lawal in his last fight. His last six wins have come by way of knockout.

Last edited:

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Scott Coker calls Fedor Emelianenko ‘the greatest fighter in the history of MMA,’ retirement fight in Russia planned
Bellator president Scott Coker was recently asked about the future of the legend Fedor Emelianenko. According to Coker, he believes Fedor is the greatest MMA fighter of all time and said the Russian still plans on fighting a few more times, including a matchup on home soil for his final retirement bout within the next few years.

Here’s what Coker told RT Sport about Fedor.

“I think the plan was for Fedor to fight two more times and then go to Russia. I think this will be probably his final match, his retirement fight,” Coker said. “If people want to see Fedor, the greatest fighter in the history of MMA, especially the greatest heavyweight of all time, then they gotta come to the fight and see him live and watch his retirement fight.”

According to the Bellator bossman, the organization hopes for Fedor to fight at the New Year’s Eve card that Bellator is rumored to co-promote with RIZIN. Coker said he plans on speaking to Fedor in Milan, Italy when the promotion heads there later this month to finalize his next date and opponent. Rumors are Fedor could fight Josh Barnett.

Coker said the plan is for Fedor to fight in Japan and then take it from there, but the goal is for the legend’s final fight to take place on his home soil in Russia, although his retirement is not imminent.

“We’re talking years away probably, or a year away or two years away, who knows. But we’re definitely working on his next fight, which will get done soon I hope,” Coker said.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
‘Bigfoot’ Silva volunteers to rematch Fedor Emelianenko in Bellator-Rizin show in Japan
Antonio Silva has a busy schedule ahead, but he wants to add another fight before the end of the year.

The former UFC heavyweight title contender is currently booked to make his bare-knuckle boxing debut against Gabriel Gonzaga in the main event of BKFC 8 in Tampa, Fla., on Oct. 19.

If everything goes his way, “Bigfoot” returns on Nov. 30 in a kickboxing bout opposite Gregory Tony.

That isn’t the only booking on Silva’s mind. With Fedor Emelianenko expected to headline a co-promotion by Bellator and Rizin Fighting Federation on Dec. 29 in Japan, the Brazilian is down to get back in the cage in a rematch against “The Last Emperor.”

“I heard about that a couple of days ago, and immediately texted Patricky (Freire), who is in Japan to fight on the 12th,” Silva told MMA Fighting. “I said, ‘Patricky, you and your brother have a good influence with Bellator. Try to get something done over there, let’s see if there’s a possibility of making this fight.’ Who knows, maybe they are interested. It would be wonderful.”

“Bigfoot” and Emelianenko met under the Strikeforce banner back in 2011. The Russian star, who was coming off a shocking upset loss to Fabricio Werdum, was demolished by Silva’s ground and pound, losing via doctor’s stoppage between the second and third rounds.

Afterward, Silva and Emelianenko’s careers took opposite directions.

After losing to Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez, Silva scored a pair of knockout wins over Travis Browne and Alistair Overeem to earn a rematch with Velasquez for the UFC heavyweight championship. But he once again lost by knockout. “Bigfoot” has only won once over his next nine MMA bouts and hasn’t fought since a kickboxing bout in Oct. 2017.

Emelianenko, meanwhile, parted ways with Strikeforce after being finished by Werdum, Silva and Dan Henderson. He went on to winn five in a row in Japan and Russia before signing with Bellator. “The Last Emperor” lost in 74 seconds to Matt Mitrione in his return to the United States, but bounced back with first-round knockouts over Frank Mir and Chael Sonnen before losing to now two-division champion Ryan Bader inside a minute.

“That fight would be wonderful for me,” Silva said. “Fedor is someone I’ve always admired as an athlete since his Pride days, so that would be wonderful. Let’s see what happens. The seed has been planted. If that happens, I’m sure it would be a good fight.”
[DOUBLEPOST=1570625824,1570586687][/DOUBLEPOST]Fedor Emelianenko vs. Rampage Jackson to headline Bellator Japan on Dec. 29
It’s official. Bellator is heading to Japan on Dec. 29, and they’re bringing a throwback heavyweight fight for the main event that tips a hat to the old-school PRIDE FC era.

At a press conference in Japan, Bellator president Scott Coker officially announced Bellator’s debut show on Japanese soil and revealed Russian heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko will take on Quinton Jackson in the main event at the Saitama Super Arena.

“This is something we’ve debated internally within our staff,” Coker told the assembled media from the dais. “We thought of taking it to Los Angeles in January, and we said we had to take it to Japan.”

Fedor (38-6 MMA, 2-2 BMMA) and “Rampage” (38-13 MMA, 5-2 BMMA) were two of the biggest superstars of the PRIDE era in Japan, but the pair never faced off inside the ring. Now that will change, with the two legends of the PRIDE ring going head to head under the Bellator banner in Japan on December 29, though it has not yet been determined whether it will take place in a ring or a cage.

“For Bellator’s debut in Japan, we wanted to bring a massive event and fighters that the Japanese fans really connect with,” said Coker, via press release. “Given the vast history of martial arts and MMA in Japan, and especially at Saitama Super Arena, this will be a very special show that no one will want to miss. This will, unquestionably, be a monumental event for Bellator and I am looking forward to the moment that Fedor and ‘Rampage’ walk out to a crowd that has known them since their careers began.

“I would also like to thank RIZIN for their help in making this event a possibility and we look forward to working together in the near future to showcase the best talent each organization has to offer.”

Fedor vs Rampage December 29th in Japan! #BellatorJapan pic.twitter.com/uXfXlowpn9

— Bellator MMA (@BellatorMMA) October 9, 2019

Emelianenko is widely considered to be the greatest fighter to compete in Japan, and is still revered by many as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. “The Last Emperor” fought 15 times in PRIDE, winning 14 and drawing 1 of his bouts for the Japanese promotion and holding the heavyweight title from 2003 to 2007. His fight with Jackson will be his 26th contest on Japanese soil, having competed there for the RINGS, PRIDE and Rizin promotions throughout his career.

“Rampage” was also a huge fan favorite during his time in Japan. Wearing fight shorts bearing the American stars and stripes, Rampage was one of the sport’s biggest characters in Japan, and fought 17 times for PRIDE during his career. Now set to make the 20th appearance of his MMA career in Japan, Jackson has the opportunity to face a fellow legend in the arena that saw him become a hero to millions of fight fans in Asia.

SandyWH

CHAOS KREATOR
I miss 3am screaming Japanese announcers, yellow cards, 10 minute entrances, and all of that shit.
I miss doing my best to stay awake long enough to watch freakshow fights, Kawajiri, Gomi, Sakuraba, Mayhem, Bibiano Fernandes, JZ Cavalcante, etc.
I miss magic submission pants and not understanding a single word from the Japanese broadcast but feeling the passion
I miss watching some American fighter do stereotypical American things in front of the Japanese crowd only to get handed his ass.
I miss an Australian broadcaster breaking down fights like he was sitting next to me in a bar 8 shots deep

Poindexter

Staff member
I miss 3am screaming Japanese announcers, yellow cards, 10 minute entrances, and all of that shit.
I miss doing my best to stay awake long enough to watch freakshow fights, Kawajiri, Gomi, Sakuraba, Mayhem, Bibiano Fernandes, JZ Cavalcante, etc.
I miss magic submission pants and not understanding a single word from the Japanese broadcast but feeling the passion
I miss watching some American fighter do stereotypical American things in front of the Japanese crowd only to get handed his ass.
I miss an Australian broadcaster breaking down fights like he was sitting next to me in a bar 8 shots deep
Anyone ever call you Li'l Missy?

m1ckey kn0x

deranged derelict
Site Donor
I love Rampage. I watched him recently do this role play on GTA 5 that was one of he greatest role play gaming sessions I have ever seen. He has it recorded on his Twitch. Shit was 6 hrs long or some shit.

Kano

My New Challenge
Site Donor
Please Please Pretty Please with sugar on it, MMA Gods don't let FEDOR lose to Jackson.

Cat--Smasher

Staff member
Lorenz Larkin, Patrick Mix among five to compete in Bellator vs. RIZIN fights in December
Bellator MMA and RIZIN will produce a pair of year-end cards on Dec. 29 and Dec. 31 that will also include several crossover fights between the two promotions.

First up will be Bellator: Japan with Fedor Emelianenko vs. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson already announced as the main event.

That card will also feature top-ranked welterweight contender Lorenz Larkin back in action as he takes on RIZIN veteran Keita Nakamura.

Larkin is coming off a win over Andrey Koreschkov in his last outing with a potential title shot waiting in the wings against new champion Douglas Lima. First things first, Larkin has to get past Nakamura on Dec. 29 to hopefully secure his spot as the No. 1 contender at welterweight in Bellator.

Ilara Joanne, who is fresh off a submission win over Bec Rawlings, will also fight on the card as she faces undefeated prospect Kana Watanabe on the Bellator card. Joanne trains out of the same gym as Patricio and Patricky “Pitbull” and she will look to hand Watanabe her first defeat when they clash in on Dec. 29.

Goiti Yamaguchi will also represent Bellator in a fight against RIZIN veteran Daron Cruickshank in a lightweight fight on the main card from Japan.

Two nights later at RIZIN 20, undefeated bantamweight Patrick Mix will put his perfect record on the line against Yuki Montoya while John Macapa faces off with Mikuru Asakura in a featherweight showdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel