Alexander Volkanovski vs Jose Aldo set for UFC 237 (1 Viewer)

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
[DOUBLEPOST=1553868985,1553803254][/DOUBLEPOST]Jose Aldo non-committal about UFC 237 co-main event, Renato Moicano ready to fill in

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, is tasked with shutting down streaking 145-pound up-and-comer, Alexander Volkanovski, in the upcomingUFC 237 pay-per-view (PPV) co-main event on Sat., May 11, 2019 inside Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

There’s just one little problem.

Aldo was recently hospitalized with a leg infection and his status remains unknown. While “Junior” was eventually released and permitted to resume light training, he still needs to finish his antibiotics and then be reevaluated by a physician before getting cleared to compete.

“When I got to the hospital I was only supposed to be there for a night and then the antibiotics they gave me didn’t work,” Aldo told MMA Fighting (transcribed by BJPenn.com). “So they waited another two days until they switched the antibiotics which started to work. Obviously, I thought about not being able to fight and I still can’t say that I’m going to fight because I need to go to the doctor and get re-evaluated. But we’re doing everything we can and hopefully, I’ll get healed up.”

In case “Junior” is unable to answer the call, UFC matchmakers can hang up and dial again.

“I’m just waiting for a call,” the No. 5-ranked Renato Moicano told MMA Junkie. “I heard about Jose Aldo can’t fight in Rio (and if he can’t) maybe I can fight with Volkanovski. I don’t know if Aldo can’t, but I’m ready to go. I want to fight with a top guy. It can be Zabit, it can be Volkanovski, Brian Ortega — I don’t choose. If UFC put I will fight.”

Moicano was stopped by Aldo at UFC Fight Night 144 back in February, in what marked just the second defeat of his professional mixed martial arts (MMA) career. No question Volkanovski — unbeaten since 2013 — would be a formidable test for either fighter.

S=E

5x Pick 'Ems Winner
Site Donor
Sorry Frankie, but Alex Volkanovski says he deserves title shot with win over Jose Aldo

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has been lobbying for his shot at the Featherweight strap currently held by Max Holloway. The only problem is, “The Answer” is currently sidelined with an injury, while “Blessed” is looking to become the promotion’s next champ-champ at UFC 236 (details).

Aside from that, Alexander Volkanovski has emerged as a top contender in the 145-pound weight class. And to hear him tell it, should he dispose of former 145-pound king Jose Aldo at UFC 237 on May 11, the championship fight should go to him.

Because there are no sympathy title shots in the world of mixed martial arts (MMA).

“(Edgar is) dreaming if he thinks I’d take out Aldo in his hometown and then he gets a shot in front of me,” Volkanovski told MMA Junkie. “Surely that just does not make sense. I feel bad for him, because I know he deserves it, especially with the whole (Brian) Ortega thing that happened. But this sport can be so unforgiving, man. But do we have sympathy out there just to let him have a title shot? I don’t think so. It’s unfortunate. I feel sorry, but mate, I’m the guy.”

Since making his UFC debut in 2016, Volkanovski has been on a tear, winning all six of his fights, including his most recent destruction of Chad Mendes at UFC 232 (recap here). With only one spot separating Edgar and Alex in the official UFC rankings, Volkanovski believes he’ll get the nod over Edgar.

But should the division be put on hold if Max wins the interim Lightweight strap in a few weeks, Alex says he should definitely be one half of the equation if an interim belt comes into play.

“We know how this game works now. How many interim titles are there? I’m not throwing shade on the guys organizing that, but it’s happening a lot, and I’m expecting it to happen to me,” Volkanovski said. “If Holloway wins, and he wants to fight Khabib (Nurmagomedov) and wait around, give me the interim. You’re throwing them around – give me one,” he added.

“But I’m not going to wait around. I’m almost certain I get the next shot after this fight. I beat Aldo in his hometown, nobody’s got a better claim.”

Volkanovski vs. Edgar for the interim title sounds appetizing.

First things first, Alex still needs to get through the living legend Aldo, who most recently scored consecutive wins for the first since since 2014 by obliterating Renato Moicano after knocking out Jeremy Stephens months prior.
[DOUBLEPOST=1554473495,1554389042][/DOUBLEPOST]Jose Aldo eager to pursue boxing career after UFC contract expires

For a couple of years now, former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has been looking toretire from MMA and pursue a career in boxing. Now down to two fights left in his UFC contract, these plans are becoming clearer for the 32-year-old Brazilian.

“My plan is to fight Alexander Volkanovski on May 11,” Aldo told ESPN in an exclusive interview. “Then I’ll have only one fight left in my [UFC] contract, which I plan to have. But I already have another thing in mind: boxing.

“I want to push myself. I’m not here for a specific match. I won’t call anyone out. I want to start from the bottom, really push myself, get ranked and who knows ... fight for the title one day. Of course, my name already puts me ahead of lots of guys.”

Aldo says he is not shutting off the possibility of competing in MMA in the future, as long as the right deal will be put in place.

“Everything is about the negotiation. We are open to discuss,” he said. “We can always have a conversation and try to find the best possible way to do it. I don’t see a problem in [re-signing with the UFC and being able to box].

“I don’t see myself fighting MMA elsewhere but the UFC.”

Aldo and Volkanovski will face each other at UFC 237, which takes place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Woodley vs Burns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zxel