1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

YUUUUUP: Dave Hester fired from Storage Wars after accusing the show of fraud

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ATJ-Lucko, Dec 12, 2012.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

i know lol. i think this is a good example of what i think happens. they go through them after the sale, and plant their little prizes

2. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

Everyone keeps saying they find shit every time. A great deal of the time they all lose their ass. They don't hit gold every time.

There is shit shot and reshot for sure though. There was one episode where Jarrod and his guy Mark were loading a truck. In one scene Marks head was shaved pretty close and then the next cut, they're in the truck leaving and his hair is two inches long. You gotta know people are gonna pick up on that.

I tell you who I loathe. The guy Alan on Auction Hunters. Can't stand that motherfucker.

3. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

Of course the show is fake.

But Fuck a Dave Hester.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

I didn't read teh whole thread, but I assume you guys saw where the hsow bought brandy some fake tits.

4. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

that show is really fake, they always hit the jackpot and never lose.

5. The Sundance Kid

I did a few storage auctions before the show and made some decent money for a short period.

Indeed the show has killed the industry.

To the point where at some auctions they open the units and sell EACH item, item by item.

6. tmlfan

tmlfan Member

like an auction...imagine that :)

7. The Sundance Kid

Yea, but when you have a 30x10 storage unit for auction, and it's packed to the gills, it can take 3 or 4 hours or more just to auction off that shit. I talking bag by bag, item by item.

This knife, that knife.

Sometimes they run 2 or even 3 auctioneers at the same time and run different units at the same time.

Then if you seen something you can make money off of, you best believe you are going to pay out of the ass for it and all profits are going to be cut super thin, because some asshole that watches thsi show on tv seems to think he' "Picker" and doesn't mind telling everyone and their mother.

8. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

Storage Wars or Auction Hunters?

9. tmlfan

tmlfan Member

I have been to conservativly.. 500+ auctions in my life, I know exactly how they work. I have been "Picking" long before these shows became popular.
    It is much tougher now then pre Ebay for sure, but there is still lots of stuff to pick, you just need to stay ahead of things.

I bought this last month for $25, most people think its old and worthless

[​IMG]

10. The Sundance Kid

Yea, there are some boomboxes out there that bring some money.

I see one like that sold on ebay for $1200, but there are also some for sale for less than 300 and they aren't selling.

In my market I would probably start at $125-150 and first 100 dollar bill gets it.

What are you going to do with it? what are you going to try to get out of it?

I do flea markets 2-3 days a week and live auctions 3 or so times a month.

I do most of my buying from local online auctions via proxibid.

11. tmlfan

tmlfan Member

there are 4 or 5 boxes that will break 1K easily if mint and working, condition is everything with them, the ones selling for under 300 are parts boxes. This one (clairtone 7980 or Conion c-100f in the US) is waiting to go to the shop to get the bottom tape deck working. I collect them, I have 2 of them now. Once fixed and 100% working if I put on ebay and include videos of it all working would get $1500.

I was picking fulltime many years ago when Ebay was just getting going and you would get stupid prices for stuff, I would hit every yard sale, flea market, auction I could. I love going to the US and looking for stuff, you got way more down there. I still do it part time for extra cash

12. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

I honestly think one of the ways the network plants this shit is to simply rent lease on a locker for a month, pack it with junk and a few good finds, then let their lease expire and film it being busted open and auctioned off.

13. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

You're thinking of Barry Weiss the music producer. That's not the guy from Storage Wars. The Barry from Storage Wars owned a produce business with his brother and he's retired now. His estimated worth is around 7 million and a big percentage of that is tied to his car collection and antique collection. Yes he's rich, but he's not tv or music producer rich.

14. thumper

ahhh.. I read that stuff somewhere. I guess it's easy to confuse with the same exact name.

Fuck em both, they're rich, i'm not. I hate them because of it.

15. Paytheplayer

Paytheplayer Left leg put u 2 cemetery

Obviously the show isn't 100 percent real. How exciting would it be if we saw these guys buy lockers, and nickel and dime their way to make small profits Everytime on furniture and household items?

Fuck Hester he's annoying as hell anyways. I can't stand how no matter what, if he buys a locker he's like "this piece of shit table is an easy 500, this bag I haven't even went through will be 300...I already made my money back now everythin else is profit"

16. thumper

The funny part is when they run into things I'm familiar with retail and used pricing on. they are sometimes probably close, but other times they are MILES off saying shit is worth so much more than it actually is. They did that on some computer monitors. They were old, 17 inch CRTs that were used in boxes. Like 4 of them. he says 'these are easy 500 for the bunch' and in realty, they probably aren't worth 80 bucks for all of them.

You'll notice there is NEVER a variance as to what they claim something is worth, and what the end dollars are. They're just taking their word. hell I bet some of that stuff, a lot of it actually, is still sitting on their shelves, unsold.

But, for all it's shitty things, i enjoy it so fuck everyone.

17. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

Who the fuck would buy a CRT monitor AT ALL?

18. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

yeah they over price what they find all the time, although Darrell hit the jackpot with those Gutierrez painting, that was the biggest score ever.

19. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

20. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

Dan Dotson, the auctioneer almost died last week of anherysms.