1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

YUUUUUP: Dave Hester fired from Storage Wars after accusing the show of fraud

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ATJ-Lucko, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/11/storage-wars-war-sues-ae-claims-fraud/?hpt=hp_t3

2. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

Whooaaaa. I might hate Hester, but if he can shine some light on how much of that show is staged, I'd be all for listening to him talk.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

Of course that shit is staged.

kanobro likes this.
  4. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

Actually i read that he's suing them, and he's making his outrageous clamins because they fired him, not the other way around.

I know some of the stuff is staged but the story I was reading was from an outsider saying how these locker auctions are legit, and that by law they cannot be opened at all before the auction.

So i wonder how it really is.

What I think? i think they auction them for real, then the crew gets a shot to do stuff in the locker before the buyers get to go through them, so they can add the little treasures.

Dave is most likely pissed because interest in him was WAYYYYY down, he wasn't even on the last two episodes (before yesterdays)

I also think you'll see a counter suit pop up (that will win) for breach of contract Suing dave for saying that shit

5. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

Yeah Dave is pissed that his business isn't doing good, maybe that is because he comes off as the bad guy, maybe people don't wanna give him their money. And it's Why Brandi and Jarrod are doing good cause they are more likeable.

Some of the lockers could be fixed with stuff, I always thought, wont they run out of lockers and then the show will have to fill lockers up and default on them so they can continue with the show.

6. neo

neo Misses Karo

Brandi used to be a stripper

and apparently this show has just completely killed the industry

7. thumper

yeah she was a stripper and brandon worked in the strip join doing something.

I have to say, his attempt at 'outlaw' t-shirts is terrible. ALL of those shirts are just awful lol.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

Dave went out after the first season and bought that truck and put those stupid 'yup' stickers all over it thinking he was the star. Christ Barry is more popular by a mile than him, and the first time he was on the show was the first time he'd ever bought a locker.

Davce also must have been doing bad, because last season he talke about how he sold his really big store. and suddenly his trucks have 'dave hester auctions' all over them. Who would want to go near that auction?

Sounds like he might be the industry veteran, but that doesn't make him real smart.

as for running out? never. those auctions are all over the place. what they meant by ruining the business is that now every tom dick and harry shows up thinking it's easy. and I'm sure it's driving the prices WAY up because so many people are there, it costs more to be the last guy out.

8. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

it's crazy that there are so many people that default on their lockers, I also wonder now if people are defaulting on purpose to see their shit on TV.

9. thumper

I doubt it. it doesn't really surprise me. When i was growing up, we all figured that the last thing you ever want to do is put things in storage, because there's a very good chance you'll never see them again.

I think what happens is most times those lockers are junk. even the people on the show admitted great finds are very rare, and most are just normal nickel and dime stuff which is why they all own junk stores.

I had things in storage once that's why i kind of think i know how it happens. When i divorced my cunt ex-wife i gave her the house, but took some of the furniture. Didn't hav anywhere to put it. so i put it all in storage and just paid monthly. back then you could pay yearly too but I don't know if the still do that.

when they say out of sight out of mind that's true. I had probably $25,000 worth of shit in my storage unit, but after a couple years there were many times when i got lazy and thought about just blowing it off. I figured if I didn't need the shit in 2 years, I was probably never going to need it.

So i can see why so many people let their lockers go. but there are other things that happen every day. People that are alone die, people turn to crack and never come back. People run away etc. Shit, people get alzheimers and don't even remember who they are. there's a ton of reasons why it would happen. but i'm thinking a lot of them are when family members die etc people don't take the time to go collect the stuff if they don't live in the same city, so they hire someone through the estate just to throw everything in storage, then that out of sight out of mind thing kicks in again. or the dead person had a locker and they never even told anyone in the family about it.

What I'd bet happens sometimes is the owners of the storage units weed through that shit the day before they put their tags on and seal the unit off. i'd bet a LOT of shit gets taken out of them that way

10. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

Hester didn't get into storage auctions until 2005. He was doing community service at a Goodwill store because he had gotten a DUI and he got the idea to convert his furniture store into a buy/resale store from Goodwill and starting stocking it using storage auctions.

There was speculation that he was broke but the truth is, he sold the store to start the auction business that he currently runs and it's doing well for him.

I love this show but I don't really know why. Barry is a fucking ass. He buys a bunch of units and then trashes most of the shit that people would sell only because he's looking for valuable antiques.

Darryl is as dumb as a rock and I'm sick of him starting every episode misquoting zen acting as if it's his day and then leaving blaming everything on Brandon.

Hester just likes to run the price up on everyone else.

Jarrod is a lush and is mean to his old lady. He and Brandi are the only two tolerable ones on the show. Who cares if she used to be a stripper? They make damn good money and it doesn't make them bad people.

Dan Dotson, the auctioneer, actually does run that auction company and his business is worth way more than the A&E contract. He released a statement to the effect that every locker is sealed for 64 days before the auctions and it would be illegal for A&E to come in and tamper with the units before they film. The auctions are legit. As someone else pointed out though, the reveal of what's in the units is where it could be tricky.

That said, where are all these "hidden treasures." More than half the time, pretty much everyone loses their asses on the show.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I haven't this show.

12. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

[​IMG]

13. thumper

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dave-hester-auctions-santa-ana

lol

my guess is this is what doing well leads to

http://www.yelp.com/biz/don-presley-auction-orange

but the speculation came from HIM, when he said that he was selling his warehouse and store because business dropped off.

and posts like these are what make a lot more sense. First, before pasting it, he doesn't own the auction anyway, he's partners in it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  14. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

He's an ass to the other buyers even on shit he's not interested in. I always hated that.

15. thumper

yeah taht's what I hate about him. He's a dipshit too. if he buys something taht someone else runs the price up on, he claims he showed them who's boss. but if he bids on something and someone else wins it, he claims he wanted them to buy it.

Sometimes that happens, but not like he pretends.

I like the show, but I like Barry a lot. he's my fav. The one I can't stand is Darrel. he's just gross and stupid. his son is actually worse if that's possible.

16. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

I don't know why Dave runs up Barry, Barry has tons of money, you are not hurting him if you run him up $200's or more. Why make enemies with the richest guy in the room?

Darrel thinks he is the smartest and funniest guy in the room. And he always complaining about his son, and his son calls him by his first name, which is just strange to me, kinda like Dakota Fred's son calls him Fred.

17. thumper

exactly. barry could buy every locker at every auction and never run out of money. he's a TV producer. if even half the cars he drives are his he's got a shit ton of money just in cars. he drove a million dollar rolls one time. course those easily might not be his

Darrel is just fuckin bizarre. but he reminds me of lots of people i remember from high school that were just plain dumb, but didn't know it.

18. tmlfan

tmlfan Member

Stuff on the show is Definitely planted. The episode where Jarrod found some Rare Mego/Star wars figures the items were from a collector who "loaned" them to the show.. There was a discussion I read on megomuseum where it was mentioned. Its impossible to have all these great items every time

19. thumper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-1yIuz4GPuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

20. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

lol does that uploader think reality shows are real??