1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

WWE (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TriangleSmoke, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Site Donor

They're aiming for like, Oct 2018 in a major market I think, which sounds like the exact time Bryan becomes available and WWE will have the world's worst optics, even for them, if they manage to clear Bryan now, just so he doesn't go work elsewhere, because they've made him such a poster boy for their concussion protocol and rigidity(unless you're Vince/KO lol).

Doing 10k outside of WWE without TV in the US hasn't happened since WCW and with Kenny and the Bucks, they're good to draw around 3K with great build, ROH TV and grassroots. I don't see Cody moving tickets as a "draw" as much as I appreciate his hustle, so they're gonna need more than just the usual NJPW/ROH dope lineup and the only two guys who have that level of buzz are Bryan and Punk and since Punk seems so burned on wrestling, I think the guy with the head trauma is the better bet.

2. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Is there no 90 non compete clause for Db when his contract is up?

3. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I'm not positive, but I believe the ROH Global Wars I went to in Chicago sold about 4-5k.

4. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

What city do you think they could go to and get 10k? The first town that came to mind for me was Chicago.

5. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Chicago is tricky because of venues. Global Wars was at the Odeum in Villa Park, and just for the sake of argument let's say they did do 5k, that place was packed to the gills. WWE usually does the All State Arena, which can do about 18k, but it's a huge upgrade for ROH. NXT Takeover did around 10k, I think, when they were here in May. But I don't know that ROH can secure such a venue

6. Dimson

@Fedorlei Gomipierre Any Canadian cities that could host the Buck's 10k show and actually pull those numbers?

7. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

I think they probably go Ontario Cali or somewhere in Cali personally.

8. Dimson

Cali was my next guess because I know the Indy scene is pretty big out there. Philly might be a good spot if they can get a venue to match their 10k goal.

9. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

10. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

He came out with a yellow hardhat on too haha it was so retarded.

11. Afro

We don't speak unkindly of Lord Regal no matter the gimmick...

12. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

Yeah because HE'S A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
    SUCH A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

The theme song is the best part about that. Probably the only good part, actually.

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  13. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Nope. When his deal is up, it's done.

The Hardys/Bucks WM weekend show did their best business at around 3500+ and the Chicago card did around 2500 and that was with Kenny as the attraction.

Running Toronto would be the only place that'd make sense population-wise, but there are always logistical issues with the border and exchange rates that make it a bit more challenging. ECW ran a show west of Toronto that I went to that drew around 5K in its dying days but we'd never gotten ECW before and it was still close to the Attitude era and it wasn't as if drawing houses was ECW's problem or the cause of their demise.

The way Vince starves Toronto fans of PPVs when they're one of the strongest markets would probably be a firm indicator that a special external show should do good business, but going from 2500 to 10k is a big risk.

People have had some success running in the SF area at the old Cow Palace where they did a big house earlier this year and that's a big population base, problem would be that they're running a bunch of big shows that die hards spend money to attend in that area with New Japan and things like BOLA, that there'd be a concern about over saturating the already niche market. Chicago and Philly are rabid wrestling cities and good options I suppose, but they get a lot of shows and I'm not sure they offer any special demo that sets them apart to think they'd pop a big house if it isn't a commuter-friendly special occasion like WWE's big shows that Indies piggyback off of.

If I'm calling the shots, I'd look at what was the most successful and why and IMO that's looking at creating a modern "When Worlds Collide"-type show in the LA area, where you book the card with an assortment of top indy/NJPW workers to attract the hardcore travelling fan demo, top Mexican workers to attract the Spanish language demo and then you use a Bryan or a Punk as your "WWE name" headliner to draw the mainstream recognition as your main event to get in more casual interest. The lynchpin there would obviously be the rent for a venue in that area, but those guys created the template at the right time to succeed and that's usually what one would look to, even all these years later and inquire why it worked so much moreso than others...

14. Afro

Chris Hero and Johnny Wrasslin' are killing it on NXT, I shed a tear every time Chris Hero does something incredibly amazing knowing that poor guy will never get a push.

15. Dimson

I have to watch that tonight. I heard it was epic.

16. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Imagine having prime Terry Gordy and booking him as an midcard jobber because he was a chubbster(even though it makes him look monstrous with his height and beard):

Also, this was great:

Afro, disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  17. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

And putting him a fuckin basketball jersey and underoos. He looks fuckin retarded.

18. Afro

So glad you posted that elbow, not gonna lie I popped pretty hard for that spot lol so damn awesome.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 7, 2017 at 7:26 PM, ---
    I just put on WOL and I am hearing that Sheamus might be done??? fuck! I mean I thought he was a sloppy wrestler, but that still kind of sucks if it's true.

Fedorlei Gomipierre likes this.
  19. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Neck issues. I was never a huge fan, but there aren't a ton of decent heels that can go. Sad if true. But if it leads to a singles push for Cesaro, I snap his neck myself

Fedorlei Gomipierre likes this.
  20. Afro

Everyone Cesaro tags with ends up with a neck issue.. he needs a singles push if only to save further tag partners from the jinx

Kevo likes this.