Why does the referee stop the action for a stand up?

Discussion in 'MMA University' started by ILJO, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

When one fighter is standing up and the other fighter is on his back, and the standing fighter backs off to let the downed fighter get up, why does the ref stop the action until the downed fighter gets up?

2. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Survival Pool Champion

Well because it would be totally unfair for the fighter standing to be allowed to attack the fighter that's getting up, and it if he was allowed to attack the fighter that was getting up no fighter on the ground would ever believe it, he would just stay on his back.

Plus only the ref can stand the fight up and i would suspect tons of refs would gets punched accidentally by attacking opponents.

Did someone hack ILJO 's account? Is this Bran's Mom, WTF

3. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

I'm assuming your talking about the Holloway fight yesterday? I found that weird,it hasn't always been that way in mma,don't know if it's a hard & fast rule or a referee interpretation,perhaps if the fighter standing beckons the downed fighter to get back to his feet & shows no sign of following him to ground (as Holloway did several times) then the ref will step in between them,allowing space for the downed fighter to get up safely.

I don't think there's anything wrong with or unfair about attacking a downed opponent while he's trying to regain his feet,either to land a strike or obtain a dominant position,if I were fighting & had my opponent on his back the last thing I would do is let him up free of charge. I trained for mma for a little while & we were taught how to get up while protecting ourselves against a standing opponent & avoid getting kicked or punched,I've always considered it part of the sport.

4. ILJO

How is it unfair? If both fighters know it's allowed, what is unfair about it?

This may be news to you, but some fighters prefer not to be on their backs. And depending on the opponent, some fighters won't want to be on the ground at all. To suggest that no one would ever try to get up in that situation is stupid as hell.

And if they don't want to be in that situation, then they should not get taken down in the first place.

If you don't know why I'm asking something, then shut the fuck up and let someone who isn't a retard answer.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

I'm not talking about that fight in particular; I've actually been meaning to make this thread for a while... but yes, that is the exact type of situation that I'm talking about. I see it happen all the time.

Exactly. I don't get why a fighter in an advantageous position gets that opportunity taken away from him like that.

I'd understand if he was just standing there for a while and there was a lack of action (just like any other stand up), but when he just motions for the other guy to get up or takes a few steps back or something, why get in the way and stop the action like that?

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I didn't read the thread, not trying to be a smartass, but the reason there's a standup has nothing to do with fairness. It's advancing or resetting the fight so it isn't 3 minutes of cat and mouse where threat of actions produces no activity.

6. ATJ-Lucko

If the fighter standing up motions the fighter on the ground to stand up, but he what he really wants to do attack him midway up then the guy on his back is not gonna take the chance, they are just gonna wait for the ref to stand him up.

And if this question is about the fight last night i take the total opposite view the ref allowed him too much time imo, if you step back from your opponent and are not doing anything, then is should be stood up immediately.

You shouldn't get a infinite amount of time to decide what you are gonna do when u get on your feet, you stood up for a reason, one being u didn't want to be on the ground any more.

7. Ninjastix

I agree. Thought it was obvious.

8. ILJO

Dude, it's like 4 posts long ffs. Don't be a dick.

If you don't care, then fine, just move on. But why post something that could have easily been addressed already in a thread that you don't even care to read?

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Stop saying your dumb-ass opinions like they are facts. Nothing pisses me off more than some retard speaking in absolutes when he has no idea what he's talking about.

Just because you wouldn't get up, or you can't comprehend why someone would try to get up, does NOT mean that no one would try to get up. So stop fucking saying that they wouldn't try to get up, because you're wrong. You're so wrong that it's almost embarrassing for me to participate in this discussion

What is so difficult to understand about a fighter being up against someone he doesn't want to be on the ground with (or just on the bottom)? Are you that fucking stupid that you can't wrap your mind around this incredibly simple notion?

9. ATJ-Lucko

Some fighters would be most would just wait till the ref stood them up, or you saying the ref should never stand a fighter up?.

your original question "why does the ref stop the action until the downed fighter gets up?" and i answered, the ref would get punched more often than not, the ref comes in and orders the fighter to stand up, if the ref allowed action when he was ordering a fighter to stand up he would in the way or action. Plus what would be the point of a ref calling for a fighter to stand up if he was gonna get punched when he tried to stand up.

You call me names but this has to be the dumbest fucking question ever. Common sense answers it.

10. ILJO

Oh my god, you are so stupid. Please stop posting in my thread.

11. Ninjastix

I just thought the answer was obvious, two fighters are at an impasse and not advancing the action so the Ref resets. What's the mystery I'm missing?

12. ILJO

Have you read the thread?

What makes that situation automatically an impasse? I don't understand. It's impossible to get up from that situation? Is that what you're saying? Because that's not true.

13. Ninjastix

No it's not impossible but it's a cause of lengthy inaction. If there wasn't precedent for it I'd understand your questioning but when you can prevent two fighters from inactivity for periods greater than 30 seconds in a 5 minute round you do so.

14. ILJO

There are precedents for lots of things that I'm sure you don't agree with. So what? That means you don't ever ask questions about it?

And how can you be so sure about this inactivity? Maybe it would lead to the most exciting part of the fight or a finish. There is absolutely no way you can tell. That would be like saying you should stand a fight back up as soon as it hits the ground because you predict 30 seconds of inactivity. That's just silly. You can only stand them up after the 30 seconds of inactivity.

Also, I don't even think that is the reason that the ref gets in the way and stops the action. I'm not 100% sure of that, but that's part of the reason I made this thread and asked

And again, I'm not talking about when a fighter is just standing over someone not doing anything. I'm talking about every single time that the fighter backs off or signals the guy up or something, even if it happens right when he hits the ground, the ref will get in the way and stop the action to let the guy up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  15. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

I think stand ups occur more often under unified rules because there's no head stomps/soccer kicks allowed,used to see it a lot in Pride,one guy standing over the other throwing kicks to the legs of the guy on the ground,looking for an opportunity to blast his face with a stomp,which IMO was awesome,the refs hardly ever called for a standup,the standup would usually occur when one fighter backed off & gave the other guy space to get back to his feet.

I think the UFC has mandated this to press for more action,Dana reckons he has no influence over the refs but I think that the refs are pressured somewhat into providing the sort of product the UFC is looking to market i.e higher paced fights. I personally think that if a fighter wants to lay on his back & make no attempt to get up he deserves to get his/her legs battered & then be cut for being a boring passive fighter,provides more motivation for more proactive fighters to press the action of their own accord.

16. ILJO

That's what I'm talking about though. Why does the ref stop the action for that? I don't get it

17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Extreme - Shinya Aoki - he'd butt scoot for an entire fight if not stepped in on.

I remember the Melendex vs Aoki fight and Gil was waiting on Aoki to try and rise when he'd launch into a diving uppercut. After landing it 3 times the referee started stepping in letting Aoki up. To the ref, it was Gil taking advantage of the situation, but should have been allowed if the standing fighter is still wishing to engage.

I am OK with a stand up if its just leg kicks and the other guy "in the hammock". But once the standing fighter backs off, he should make eye contact with the ref to basically ask the fight be stood back up. The referee should never take it upon himself to stand it up.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Its basically the "Hey, I'm going down there, and he's not coming up here unless you tell him." if the guy on top can break the clinch and get to his feet, he kind of deserves the right to ask for the fight to be stood up. Plus people that paid $200 to be there don't want to see the two stare at each other.

18. ILJO

Right. I understand if the guy wants the ref to stand him up. That just saves time. But if he's just trying to lure the guy to get up and attack him while he's vulnerable or something, then why should the ref get in the way unless it's taking too long and they are inactive (just like with any other situation)

19. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

he technically shouldn't. BJM usually doesn't. Rosenthal has the quickest "stop. Get up" that I've seen.

20. ILJO

Are you 100% sure about this? Because they do it as if it's part of the rules. Seriously, I can't recall the last time that the ref didn't get in the way when the standing fighter backed up to allow the downed fighter to get up