Who's the #1 P4P fighter?

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by jokerthief, Apr 24, 2016.

?

Who's #1 P4P?

1. DJ

2. Jones

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

And I would argue that sure those are "notable" wins for Jones, but lets be real a minute.
    Bader has never been considered a championship caliber LHW
    Evans' two best wins came 4 years before Jones and looked like a shell of that guy
    Same could be said for Shogun and Rampage. He beat three names, but not 3 guys that in their primes.
    Belfort came up looking for money, and he got beat. Solid win, but not exactly GOAT worthy
    Texeira and Gus and DC are by far his 3 best wins and he finished exactly none of them.

Just because DJ doesn't have the "names" on his resume doesn't mean he doesn't have impressive wins.
    Dodson is very impressive win (twice).
    Cejudo was undefeated.
    Horoguchi is as dangerous a fighter as there is in the division.
    And he's flat out embarassing these guys hes in there with.

2. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

its the weakest mens division, the fighters are good but DJ is just so much better. His talent level is better suited at 135 where there are some actual challenges for him.

3. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

205 has been a shit show for years. I'm a fan of almost all the guys fighting at 205 with the exception of Jones but it's littered with has beens. Gus and DC are the two that stand out the most but I would argue that Dodson and Benivedez are on that same level. Hell he made an Olympian look like a bitch this weekend.

4. ATJ-Lucko

now we are going by finishes? if so who has had more finishes?

So its less impressive that jones beats a fighter that may be a little past his prime but its a major deal when Johnson beats Cejudo who not even close to his prime.

Cejudo was rushed into a title fight, so was Moraga, it just shows how weak the division is when guys are being rushed like this.

Rise likes this.
  5. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

I guess it all depends on what your definition of pound for pound means to you. From what I can gather, the overall agreement of the term is....

"...to reflect an assessment as to who the better fighters are, regardless of size ..."

In my opinion, Jon Jones has had success due to the size advantages he holds over most in the division. When he was matched with similar sized opponents, he has faced difficulty. To me, Jon's a very skilled martial artist but one of those "skills" is his size, more specifically the reach he has.

DJ fought up a weight class and still found success. After dropping to 125, where he still doesn't hold any noticeable size advantages over his opponents, his martial artist skills wins him the fights.

My vote is for DJ and it's not even close.

Nebraska likes this.
  6. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

It's the least marketed division. That doesn't mean it's the weakest. You can say that DJ hasn't beaten as many big names as JJ, but big names come from marketing more so than from actual talent. I posit that if you transformed the 125 pound guys, retaining their skills, into LHWs, they would displace many, if not most, of the current LHW division. There is a lot of old talent in the LHW division. The game has changed, and the guys really evolving the sport right now are the smaller guys. I think there is a bias against the 125 pound division because of a lack of marketing, not from a lack of talent.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    SandyWH likes this.
  7. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Its not totally about finishes. But Jones grinding out wins against legit, prime opponents. Isn't near as impressive as DJ SMASHING his.

Its not like we're arguing that DJ is #1 and Jones is #5. Its clear that these 2 men stand alone at the top in this conversation. Its razor thin between #1 & #2. And for my money, my opinion, Mighty Mouse is #1

8. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Might Mouse.

They both have 8 title defenses. DJ has finished five of those fights while Jones has only finished four, and the last three of those stoppages came against guys who are currently fighting at middleweight.

Johnson's opponents move up in weight after he's done dismantling them, not down like Jones's have where they can still take steroids and make 185 pounds without any problems.

Ninjastix and jokerthief like this.
  9. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Didn't read thread.

Mighty Mouse. MMA is a tremendously difficult sport to consistently win out in your weight class when there is quality competition. There are too many variables to have to mitigate. Dillashaw was on his way but Cruz put the kibosh on that run.

Mouse is just too consistent, constantly improving, and the only detraction is his height.

To be fair to Jones he's a beast. He's faced some of the best in the sport at the height of their powers and toppled them all. Jones is like any great team in any sport that's on a winning streak. No matter who they face there's a point it becomes a playoff atmosphere. Even before he was exposed as being the biggest douche in the UFC (really, really hard to pull off), people were salivating at seeing him lose. He was constantly discredited for his lack of experience and unproven mental toughness.

All that counts for a lot, but it's evened out by his length, height, reach, and penchant for poking fighters in the eye.

DJ is an amazing mixed martial artist. So is Jones. DJ is more complete.

But this is all meaningless anyway. You can't scale up fighters, you can't take away advantages, you can't equate competition. You can try. But it ultimately doesn't matter. For me no one is going to change what I see when I see DJ fight.

Rise and Poindexter like this.
  10. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

In my eyes, the only argument against DJ is the calibre of his competition. Jones faced the more dangerous of the two far more consistently. The difference in weight and muscle definitely makes LHWs more dangerous though. Thus, the opponent comparison is subjective rather than measurable.

11. ATJ-Lucko

for me that is the biggest argument, thats what counts the most.

12. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I favour the skill as opposed to competition. The individual rather than the antagonists. This is why I think DJ has surpassed Jones since Jones' oopsy daisy and a bit before then. At first thought, I think he surpasses Jones when facing Dodson. I think I overlooked him though. Perhaps P4P #1 since Carisao.

sourdough likes this.
  13. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

I vote by consistency

Jones has looked great at times, and then pretty good others

Mighty fucking Mouse is always on top of his game and looks amazing

I dont think its fair to judge a fighter by their competition

even a terrible fighter can have a good fight, but MM always looks amazing, no matter how good his opponent is

14. ATJ-Lucko

yeah he MM has looked good directly because of who his opponents are, Jones hasn't because he has fought killer after killer.

15. Trodden

that isnt what I meant

I was saying a fighter cant control how good their opponent is, how well trained their opponent is, how talented, etc

I am judging them by how they look in the cage, not the person they're fighting

16. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

Mighty Mouse has looked good because he is the most skilled fighter in the world. Anyone that watches MMA can see that. Jones has looked more human because he has more holes in his game. The fighters Johnson has faced are just as skilled as Jones' opponents.

17. Trodden

18. ATJ-Lucko

he has looked the most skilled because of the quality of his opponents though.

19. Trodden

or maybe his opponents were that great, but since MM is so damn good his opponents havent looked great

sourdough likes this.
  20. ATJ-Lucko

i think this is the rogan effect he pronounces something and repeats it over and over again and us fans eat it up..