1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole 30

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by Miz, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Sorry if there is already a thread for this. I just use my phone and I can't search threads. For some reason it won't do that.

Anyone doing this whole thirty thing? I know some people doing it. Any suggestions? I'm getting fat. I eat like shit. I need a reason to not drink (I do fine for a while but start back.). I think 30 days would do me good.

Basically no processed foods. Fruits, meats, veggies, nuts. Can you straight up just buy a can of cashews? Any advice is appreciated. @Trodden and @ILJO 's advice will be taken with trepidation.

Miz

Trodden likes this.
  2. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

I love ya brother, I hope all is well with the family

Ive experimented my entire life with diet and my opinion is there is no one thing that works best

You just gotta try different combinations of things, but one is for all. Diet and exercise is the best and only way, you need both

I love raw almonds, and use them to stay full. I also dont hit the gym for an hour or two, but try and get as many ten minute exercises sessions in one day as possible

stop all soda, and juices. Drink clean water and get limes, they are cheap and the juice with a small amount of sugar with water is great for a soda fix

if you want to quit something you always do, try and replace it

I also went with boiling chicken, rice, and vegetables for a while to lose weight. Tuna, rice and vegetables are also a great one. Season with spicy things instead of premade mixes that have a lot of sodium and sugar

one huge thing, never be full. never say 'I ate too much'. that will set you back. and get a sweat or something close to it every day

never take a day off.

kanobro and Miz like this.
  3. Miz

Day 5 of whole 30. I feel pretty good. I was pretty hungry on day 3. I already feel like I have more energy. I would, however, kill you with a hammer for a pizza.

Trodden likes this.
  4. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Make sure you stick with a lot of healthy fats, might help with the cravings.

Avocado, coconut oil, unroasted nuts

Trodden and Miz like this.
  5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

6. Cat--Smasher

Well they are healthy either way but roasting them kills off some of the nutrients.

If you prefer them roasted though, eat em roasted. Good snack all around.

When roasted, you decrease in some minerals and increase in calories due to the oils used in roasting them.

Trodden and Poindexter like this.
  7. Poindexter

Ah, I see. Thanks.

8. Miz

I had already bought my almonds roasted but next time I won't.

You guys ever had a date? They kick ass.

I feel better already and I'm sleeping less.

I finally bought that ghee butter. It's pretty good.

Do you eat pretty clean @Cat--Smasher ?

9. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Get a good blender.

Spinach or kale
    Thumb of ginger
    1 Tsp Chia seeds
    1 tbsp Flax seeds
    Banana
    Apple or orange or berries
    1 Tsp of Coconut oil optional.

Have at least 3 a week. Preferably 1 cup a day.

Will make your neurons explode and give you more energy than a bowl of refined sugar and milk in the morning.

I lost 35 lbs in 3 months although closer to 2. Anyways. It is consistency. Make your own damn food. Stop buying instant food. Stop going to fast food. Pack meal.

Tuna is your best friend. Sardines. Oysters.

@Trodden - how do you eat boiled chicken.... so rubbery. You can cook 6 breasts or a dozen thighs for the week. Shake and bake if you suck at seasoning your food.

Biggest trick to cutting is SOUP. Cabbage soup with all veg. Chicken soup with broccoli or cauliflower, carrot, celery, garlic, onion, everything in it. Don't be a noob and skim the chicken fat and bone from boiling.

Watermelon is great for testosterone and rehydration. Fuck loads of garlic. I make a garlic, ginger tea. Drink green tea after your first coffee of the day as it lowers cortisol. Too much coffee is a super ager.

Only nuts I like are pistachio and I rarely eat as they are an exlensive treat. Peanuts are meh unless roasted.

TLDR. Learn to cook - basics of making soup, baking meat, grilling veg. Eat real food. Do not work your muscles to failure. Train everyday. Realize the differences between cutting and bulking.

Diets are a guideline for structure. Most fail as they structure you too much. Just make a decision to be healthy. Get a list of healthy food if you dont even know what it is and consume a variety on a moderate basis. Never gorge. Eat 3 meals a day. If you need that structure then do it. If you don't then use your brain. Real food. Shop on outaide of grocery markets except for spices and cooking ingedients like oil. Do not overthink it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  10. Cat--Smasher

Dates are tasty. Make sure you get the good quality ones, makes a world of a difference.

I try to eat clean but days I forget to pack a proper lunch for work always ends up eating crap.... and the beer, thats not doing me any good.
    --- Post Added -- Feb 3, 2017, ---
    The biggest trick to soups is blend them. It has been proven it takes your stomach longer to empty when the soup is thick/ blended as opposed to 'brothy' or thin. Use lentils to help thicken also.

11. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I make brothy soups - veg, beef or chicken. I use a lentil/rice mix. I don't like egg/rice noodles. Main reason is that they are cheap.

I love myself a curried butternut squash and roasted red pepper soup but rarely make it.

12. Trodden

add lipton onion mix to the water, it softens the chicken, seasons it and after skimming the scum off you can make soup or take the chicken out

adding salsa to the water works well too

13. Miz

Over a week and no breads, sweets, booze, or dairy. I feel good. I can already see some changes in my body. I feel like I have more energy. I feel more of a drive to hit the gym and Bjj. Best part is I'm not drinking. I definitely like the challenge aspect of it being 30 days. Hopefully it will make for a complete life style change. It helps that my wife is doing it with me. This diet definitely feels legit.

When the thirty days is up I want to treat myself to some good sushi. I love pizza as well, but might just steer clear of that. Maybe after the thirty I'll eat good for the week, but then have a reward day on the weekend. That is all in the future. For now I just need to worry about the next 22 or so days.

Cat--Smasher and kanobro like this.
  14. Cat--Smasher

Good on you man. Glad to hear you are feeling it.

Treat yourself for sure, wouldn't sushi fit into the challenge or would you have to go straight sashimi ?

15. Miz

Can't have rice. What is sashimi?

16. Cat--Smasher

Just the fish. No rice.

17. Trodden

why cant you eat brown rice?

18. Poindexter

• Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.

Miz likes this.
  19. Trodden

brown rice has healthy carbs and a lot of protein

great for eating a couple hours before a workout

tuna, brown rice and fresh vegetables is a great prework out meal

20. Poindexter

He's doing the Whole 30, not the @Trodden 30.

kanobro and Miz like this.