1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Do You Train?

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Noob, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Palma

Palma I am chaos

So 9 years. I wouldn't normally talk to an instructor about it, but after 9 years you really have nothing to lose.

2. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Any tips on picking a bjj school? What should I look for? There is a gracie and a 10th planet in the area, but there's one right down the street from my work. Serafin BJJ if that means anything to anybody.

3. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Avoid anywhere Hermes Franca is teaching.

Ninjastix likes this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I'm not underage, I should be fine.

Ninjastix likes this.
  5. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I googled Serafin Bjj and it looks like a legit all around school. Gracie could be a lot of different types of academies, but if it's a Gracie Barra or Gracie Jiu-jitsu Academy specifically, then they typically have their own proprietary way of doing things. 10 planet does as well. It doesn't mean I'd avoid them, but personally I prefer an independently ran school with a mix of competition style bjj, self defense, and NoGi.
    --- Post Added -- Jul 27, 2018, ---
    I googled Serafin Bjj and it looks like a legit all around school. Gracie could be a lot of different types of academies, but if it's a Gracie Barra or Gracie Jiu-jitsu Academy specifically, then they typically have their own proprietary way of doing things. 10 planet does as well. It doesn't mean I'd avoid them, but personally I prefer an independently ran school with a mix of competition style bjj, self defense, and NoGi.

Kevo likes this.
  6. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Thanks for the info

Palma likes this.
  7. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Go to hell!

Kevo and Afro like this.
  8. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

[​IMG]

Palma, Kevo and Poindexter like this.
  9. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Do the week free trial and see if you like the instructor and people. The one by your work sounds convenient. It will be great for your kids as well.

Kano, Kevo and Poindexter like this.
  10. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

You just described my mma/jui jitsu gym, twice.

Palma and Poindexter like this.
  11. Dimson

[​IMG]

Poindexter likes this.
  12. Poindexter

Strawberry and oranges. Bunch of fruits.

If any of you lived in NYC, where would you choose to train?

Dimson likes this.
  13. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Probably Unity

14. Poindexter

Why is that?

15. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I like Murilo Santana, but I'm sure there are a ton of places to train out there.

Without doing any research, and from the handful of schools I know of in Manhattan, that's the one I kniw I'd want to visit.

Poindexter likes this.
  16. Dimson

I would probably train at a place similar to Darkwolf. A small up and coming mom and pop type place with a family atmosphere.

Palma and Poindexter like this.
  17. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I train in my moms basement.

I have a 3rd degree blackbelt in masturbation,

and 4x fist of fury champion.

Trodden likes this.
  18. Poindexter

I train at your mom’s house too. And I mean run a train.

Dimson and Trodden like this.
  19. strife

strife I

Friday I have a general surgery consult to attempt to fix/rule out all of my long term training injuries. Naturally, when they happened, I was in 6-8 week camp for grappling comp and did not want to pull out, then I did not want to pull out of a football season for a team I was captaining and throwing for, incredibly stupid in hindsight, but that's how people trained and coaches coached, to "suck it up" and ignore the problem, but of course I've lived in pain for 5+ years and it has effected me.

First of which is a hernia on my right abdominal wall, a potentially broken right foot, a left knee with a partially torn meniscus and posibly torn LCL/ACL, rotator cuff cleaning/repair on the shoulder (right) of the arm I had fractured in competition, and finally if I can't get sorted out I may be having surgery on my cervical spine but this is a last ditch effort. If it goes well and I can mend up, I'm hopefully back full-time to silently humble everyone again.

20. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal