1. The raw hunk of meat that used to be my enemy makes a sound, and I know where the mouth is. And I think the word he's trying to say is 'please'. Pity, not vengeance sends my fist flying into his skull. "UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims start at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II.

Where Do You Train?

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Noob, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Noise

Noise Ruido

Fuck yea, bro; that's awesome - keep us posted, love seeing positive life vibes like this.

Palma and Dimson like this.
  2. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I know man. It is great. I even think I am starting to develop a Brazilian accent.

Palma, Noise, Miz and 1 other person like this.
  3. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

Congrats man. The first of many. Now is when it really starts to get addictive.

Dimson and Palma like this.
  4. strife

strife I

What does it mean when you overhear your instructor say "he will never get a Purple belt from me"? This happened years ago at an open mat, another black belt asked saying "strife is ready for his purple" and I'm sure he hardly remembers. I started training in 2006 nearly 7-8 times a week and was promoted to blue belt in February of 2009, and remain one to this day. Many of the regulars know my story, humerus spiral fractured in my first tournament Dec 9th, 2006. I've still trained, some times a lot more than others but I show up and have even competed, although the PTSD or whatever it is makes me lock up and freeze. I was never like that when I wrestled. At this point in my life the belts are meaningless and I've remained resentful over it. That resentment has led me to nearly stop training entirely after I come back and come back, and life shits on me in the form of an SUV hitting me when cycling to work, or falling at home in an accident throwing a high kick on hardwood and damaging my cervical spine.

There was a specific moment in my training, a seminar and belt promotion where Julio Fernandez comes down and gives belts, and a gentleman who did not even dress was promoted over me, someone who had never had a dominant position or had me in trouble over months of rolling. Julio was annoyed and actually paused the promotion to say something. I've watched my friends promoted past my rank who started years later, who I helped coach at white belt, or random passerby's. Maybe it's that I'm stubborn and should move to a new gym, but whatever my reputation might be in this region, people who have trained and instructed know where I've been for the past 9 years, and someone with a 4-stripe blue belt showing up to a different school after all that time, I feel, raises red flags. I'll go to open mat tomorrow, stay safe from all of the aggro blues trying to prove something, and have some good rolls. But I have to wonder if I still love jiu-jitsu if the idea of the respect of earning a black belt is something that might never happen. It feels like a cop out in a way as I've had broken bones and so many incredibly sore nights after a decade+ in an understanding type of anticipation for a long, but profitable journey. Just figured I'd update you guys.

Poindexter, Miz and Afro like this.
  5. Palma

Palma I am chaos

You must have inadvertently pissed him off or disrespected him. If you've been training that long, even if you suck, you would have been promoted by now.

The only people I don't promote or tell our head instructor not to promote are students that refuse to get better. Show up late, leave early, train until they are tired and sit out, don't pay attention during technique, stop drilling half way through. I want them to ask me why.

People who piss me off or disrespect me, I address on the stop, so we understand each other and there is no wondering on how to be a practitioner.

Poindexter likes this.
  6. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

My uneducated opinion would be get a fresh start and go to a new gym. Palma would know better. I’d think if you gave it your all then a professor would promote you. If you want to still train then don’t stop because of this. Make the guy eventually promote you or get a fresh start at a new place. Do you respect your professor? I respect mine and couldn’t train elsewhere unless he retired.

Poindexter likes this.
  7. Dimson

I am not sure if you would like me or not. I gas easy and due to being as over weight as I am I have a hard time even completing our warm up drills (shrimping, reverse shrimp, shoulder walks, ect). I also tend to drink a lot of water. I have never left a class early though and I am never late. I do pay attention and ask questions even if I get amnesia as soon as I start drilling after our instructor has gone over a move/drill.

8. Palma

Palma I am chaos

That's not what I am talking about at all. When people first start to about 6-12 months, I am very nurturing and hand hold along the way. After that, I still mentor them and have the upper belts mentor as well.

I'm talking about blue and purple belts that become complacent and are selfish with their time and energy. They just want to headhunt certain teammates and roll when they want.

9. Dimson

Ah I got ya. Well right now we don't have many blue belts and no one purple belt or higher other than our 3 instructors. We will have at least 2 purple belts by the end of the year though, which will be the first ever given out by our gym. We also have a strict no douche policy and so far I have yet to roll with anyone who is selfish and unwilling to help out.

10. strife

strife I

Honestly, I don't know if I pissed anyone off but I was minorly vocal at a buffalo wild wings during the Cain x Werdum fight to another black belt at the school when I was butthurt following the promotion I mentioned. They agreed with me, honestly, and said all that anyone will tell you, to "just keep training." I didn't make a deal out of it, I just continued training. I don't headhunt but I do roll a flowing catch style, it really depends on who it is and how aggro they are, I mold my game to meet with my opponent during rolls. Honestly Palma, I can't promote myself, and my original gym where I was training when I had my arm broken wanted to promote me to Purple belt to teach after less than 1.5 years total training and with a giant intermission due to the competition injury. I received my blue belt in 6 months but again, I trained 7-9 times a week. I left because it did not feel organic and felt rushed/insincere to me (maybe I was wrong here) and I did not ever want to be someone that people looked down on in the tight knit community of the region. I even removed the stripes from my blue belt when I started at Revolution. I'm more 'business' minded when I train. I get in and get out these days, but I'm always open to help others when asked and walk the class and help correct technique during more beginner classes. I know I just need to train and shut up, I have just been extremely demoralized for the past 3 years and barely training because of it and thought it appropriate to share in this thread.

11. Dimson

@strife . Just move to Central Florida. We have a spot for ya.

Afro likes this.
  12. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Don't talk people into moving to this hell hole man, it's fucking HOT

Palma and Dimson like this.
  13. Dimson

I thought you left Florida?

14. Afro

I'm back unfortunately, im over in punta gorda now

Dimson likes this.
  15. Dimson

Ewwwwwwww...

16. strife

strife I

The man truly does himself no favors. Offered him dirt cheap rent in RVA, too.

Dimson likes this.
  17. Afro

Dirt cheap? Don't you lie to these people lol

18. strife

strife I

You'll say anything to prolong your suffering.

19. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I understand. It helps to get it off your chest.

When did you start training at Revolution?

20. strife

strife I

2009 after being sketched out about the quick purple belt promotion and absentee black belt. I found Andrew to love BJJ more than anyone I've ever met, he helped found US Grappling as an alternative to a biased IBJJF and one of the only grappling promos that does pure submission grappling. Honestly the writing was on the wall at first glance, thought he'd go far in his pursuit to teaching and I wanted to be there for it. He had won Pans at Brown belt at the time and was just promoted to his black belt. His teaching and emphasis on leverage and pressure was so different, it was very simple but incredibly thorough. The gym shared a space with a karate studio and had a metal pole right in the middle, it did not even have grappling mats, they were reasonably decent floor mats and let me fucking tell you those things sheered the skin off of whatever they touched...

...Then it moved locations to a hole in the wall space which merged with another friend in the scene, they were a great bunch and it was the perfect decision to make. It was in a roughly 10'x20' room in the back of a power lifting gym called the Iron Factory but at least they were wrestling mats lol. Time is strange in this regard because it felt like a few months but it was over a year or two years before it moved to the strip mall location they're at now, jumping to a new lot at one point and joining it with a vacant one through renovation. I've seen many iterations of the place, he has even told me we would go far together. It's probably on me and how I deal with injuries or how I train, the depression is/was killer at times.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018