1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

Where Do You Train?

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Noob, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

I was supposed to and all registerd but that week I got Impitego so had to pull out.My team go 2nd in points though. I posted a video I made in the mma media section.. Back to berimbolos and kiss of the dragons this week though:)

I might be going down to the worlds in june. I am 100% going to train at Mendes Bros new gym in feb for a week though (my school is affiliates)

2. ArMnHC

ArMnHC Great Chimdale County Man

[​IMG]

Just got my 4th stripe from Robert Drysdale! Now shooting for gold at the IBJJF LV Open on April 27th!

3. split2874

split2874 Moving Forward

-my couch I am 10x Black Belt in lethargic Jew-jits-sue

4. ArMnHC

I got my black belt in that at age 10!

5. split2874

split2874 Moving Forward

In lethargic or for real?

6. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

I just made contact with a blue belt(alliance) that I may start rolling with a little once a week or so.

7. ArMnHC

nice! I think blue belts are the best guys to start rolling with when you're just starting out because they will be the best to exploit all the mistakes you're making because they just stopped doing them themselves.

8. bradlabo

You will still make a ton of mistakes at blue. Trust me, sometimes I do dumb shit lol. That is awesome on the stripe man, congrats and good luck in the LAs Vegas Open.

I am heading down to New York Thursday and doing the New York Open, should be a great tournament. This is my thid week in a row of competing. Silver week one, went 2-2 last weekend and hopefully bringing home some hardware Saturday.

9. ArMnHC

that's great man, good luck! wish there were more opportunities to compete around here without having to travel. but seems like Nor Cal has lots of tournaments and since I'll be moving there soon I'm still going to try and compete as much as possible. it's too fun not to.

and you're right, I see my fair share of blue belts make dumb mistakes, it's probably why I tap a few here and there lol

10. bradlabo

Our jiu jitsu scene up her is crazy. At least one tournament a month sometimes 3 all usually within an hour of me. We also take road trips to montreal pretty frequently to compete.

Where are you going to train when you move?

11. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

How much are the entry fee's to these tournaments?

12. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

I'm thinking about joining a gym. I did some research, aka Googling, and found a gym that does Muay Thai, BJJ, Kickboxing, and the like. When I was watching one of their videos, I realized my old buddy Sam Oropeza (the guy who won in Bellator a couple weeks ago by the early stoppage while his fibula was fractured) coaches or coached there. I sent him a text to see what the deal is with the place and I might go check it out. Nak Muay Gym is the name of the place.

13. ArMnHC

It will be at Crispim Barra Brothers in Pleasanton CA. It's my hometown, and I was up there a few weeks ago and trained there for a few days. It's a smaller gym, but the atmosphere is very similar. No egos, just friendly people who all want to learn Jiu-Jitsu. They were very welcoming and I look forward to being part of that team. I am going to mis Drysdale's though! It's the best gym for JJ in Las Vegas, period! And since I've been there since I started in Jan 2012, those guys are like my brothers now. If you ever come out to Las Vegas, stop in to train you'll love it.

14. bradlabo

Ranges from 60 for regional tournaments to $100 for IBJJF, Grapplersquest and Naga ones

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

Yeah I have had some friends go down there to train and said nothing bu good things.

I notice BJJ gyms have no egos but as soon as you step in an MMA gym it changes.

15. ArMnHC

I paid $100 for NAGA in September, but that's because I was competing twice. Brad's right though, it's usually $80-$100 depending on the organization. Early registration for the LV Open was $92.

16. bradlabo

I am not a fan of Naga, I like Grapplers Quest though, being able to do knee bars at blue is pretty fun lol.

17. ArMnHC

When I did NAGA, pretty much everything (minus slams) was legal. but that was No-Gi...I hear Gi is a bit different. Never did Grapplers Quest, but everyone I know who has said they were the most unorganized competition out there.

18. bradlabo

Yeah they are all over the place but one of the better no gi comps out there competition wise.

Up here insurance dosen't allow heel hooks. Advanced no gi most things are legal though, which is where I am now, can't wait to do some toe holds:)

19. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

What do you guys typically pay for your training?

20. bradlabo

For a legit school it is usually at least $120 a month some go as high as $200

At some MMA gyms though you can get training in all aspects for $80.