What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Thamob, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Listened to The Mist YEARS ago,

which was actually narrated by Stephen King.

was pretty cool.

Fedorlei Gomipierre and Miz like this.
  2. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

The book of 5 rings.

3. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

LOL Typical...

Although I will say in comparison to Bob Woodward's new book Fire and Fury does come off as "embellished non-fiction." I took Fire and Fury with a big grain of salt, but Woodward's book was jaw dropping. I highly recommend it.

4. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Thanks for putting the bug in my head about audio books. I checked one out at the library. It is a cd of a fiction book that I wanted to read but wasn’t sure when I’d get to it. Been listening to it in my truck. At first I didn’t know if I could do it as I’ve had attention problems and there are a lot of distractions while driving. Just took me a chapter to get hooked and now I’m into it. Pretty cool. Also got the BFG for the kiddies to listen to while we are driving.

5. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Glad to hear it. I've gone through so many books in the car since August when I got the car.

Miz likes this.
  6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

On the Abolition of All Political Parties by Simone Weil Simon Leys (Introduction, Translator), Czeslaw Milosz (Contributor)

[​IMG]

Same vein, or similar threads, as the three I recently mentioned. I recommend every one of the texts, wholeheartedly.

7. Miz

I’m listening to a book by Patrick Rothfuss called the Name of the Wind. It is a series called the Kingkiller Chronicles and there are two books. I’m really digging it and having fun listening to my first audio book.

Goremire and Qball1974 like this.
  8. Goremire

Goremire Senior Member Site Donor

Thanks for the recommendation; I just finished Name of the Wind and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am about to start Wise Man's Fear.

Miz likes this.
  9. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Audio books just on CD or is there an app for them?

10. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

There’s an app called Audible, but I’ve been having an easier time picking them up on cd from Half Price Books

Poindexter and Dimson like this.
  11. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

12. Miz

@Problematique i just googled the above book. It’s the 11th in the series. I’m assuming you’ve read the others, correct? Is the series worth it. 11 books is a commitment.

@Qball1974 what was that King short story collection you like?

I need a new book. I like fiction but I’m listening to a fiction audio book so it might be better to read something a little different. Anyone got any nonfiction that is a must read (nothing ancient that is hard to read)? Religious, philosophy, self-help?

13. Qball1974

The Bachman Books four early novels by Stephen King,

The story was The Long Walk in the collection (loved it).

Miz likes this.
  14. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

read that about 30 years ago. Had the hardback collectors addition. It didn't survive the trials and tribulations.

15. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Absolutely, one of my favourite series that I've ever read. My father and I started the series together when the first book was released, back in 2004.

Miz likes this.
  16. Qball1974

I bought the paperback in the late 80's if I remember right, absolutely fell in love with The Long Walk. Read it a few times over the years, last time was about 10-12 years ago tho. Still have the book, should give it another go :)

Kano likes this.
  17. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

One of the weirdest nonfiction books that's a mix those topics above. Pickover is a math professor who is also a believer in ideas like ESP and other dimensional beings. The title tells the story: it's a mix of everything, almost a musings.

I just remembered this: one of the best books that I've ever read. Blackmore is another odd duck of the university system. She interviews scientists and philosophers on the meaning and nature of consciousness. Cannot recommend this more (even if it's been years and I've forgotten most lol).

Miz and Qball1974 like this.
  18. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

Got the new SK novella "Elevation" on my Kindle cue but gotta finish "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" from Leif Enger which is really good.

Miz likes this.
  19. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I got to find more time to read.

20. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Try shitting more.

Qball1974 and Dimson like this.