What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Thamob, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

On the 5th book, fucking love them.

2. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Fire and Fury. Interesting to say the least.

3. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I finished that a couple days ago. Very interesting for sure.

Funny story, today I was browsing Bing's news section and clicked on a Fox News article about Bannon, wherein the book was mentioned, though referred to as a novel. Classic Fox News.

4. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

TV Guide

Dimson likes this.
  5. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

Just finished "Dead Man's Blues" by Ray Celestin. Really cool noir mystery/historical fiction that takes place during Capone's reign in Chicago during prohibition and is a follow-up novel to Celestin's previous book, "The Axeman's Jazz", that similarly follows a true crime story and writes a fictional accounting solving the murders that in reality, are still unsolved. Really entertaining read.

Now starting "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", since I'm a big fan of Ron Hansen's style and detail in writing the western genre even though I thought the film adaptation was a tad too languid.

6. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I wish I was reading Winds of Winter but George RR Martin hates me.

Dimson likes this.
  7. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Any good place to download audio books? Don't mind being a pirate either. Audible seems like alot of money for 1 download book a month?

8. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Reckless Daughter - A Portrait of Joni Mitchell

9. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Now on the 7th.

10. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Started reading again recently. I always read but I usually just read news stories and articles. I don't like books very much. But I used to read the Dexter books many years ago and I picked up Darkly Dreaming Dexter on the Kindle app on my iPad. It's a nice way to kill an hour in bed every night before I drift off to sleep.

11. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

Moaning at midnight, life and times of Howlin wolf.

12. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I just finished this book:

[​IMG]

It was great. It forms a consistent trajectory with two books I read prior to it. It was much more academic in terms of exegesis.

I read this first:

[​IMG]

The critiques of technology, alienation, and the description of types of change agents were coherent, though not incredibly sophisticated or new. It did get a bit sniggly here and there.

After that, I read this:

[​IMG]

Ol' Ted got some of his ideas from Hoffer, though Hoffer's explication was much more nuanced and especially timely given today's political/social climate.

13. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I haven't been very long finished Rex Brown's side of the Pantera story. I really would like to hear what Phil has to say about his side of their story. Vinnie Paul came across very negatively in Rex's book.

14. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

15. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I finished Fear, Bob Woodward's new book on the Trump White House. It's hard to put down once you start. It's very well written and flows well. It's a great read, but it's also a very alarming one.

Kano and Poindexter like this.
  16. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Recently finished "Fools and Mortals" by Bernard Cornwell.

17. Miz

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. Book 5 of the Dark Tower series. I’ve been reading this off and on for a long time. Need to buckle down and finish.

18. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Awesome. I read Gunslinger like 10 years ago and had to reread it recently. Picked up the next two or three audiobooks to listen in the car soon. Currently going through the Harry Potter books, though. Hope I get to start the second Dark Tower book before the end of the year.

Miz likes this.
  19. Miz

I’m actually on book six b/c he wrote a book after he finished the series that takes place between books four and five. Book four has been my favorite as it was a prequel and told the back story.

You like audio books? I’ve never listened to one. Maybe I should try one out.

20. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. I've been a big podcast guy for like 12 years now, but I recently got a car with both a CD player and a cassette deck, and there's a ton of very fair priced audiobooks at Half Price Books, so I picked up a bunch. I spend about 2 hours in my car a day on average, so I've been able to run through a bunch of stuff lately. You can get almost any audiobook through Audible.com, but I've found that buying the actual, physical audiobooks in resale is far more cost-effective. On average, I'm spending $3-12 each book.

You seem like a guy that loves the act of reading, so you may not get everything out of audiobooks that most of us do, but they're great if you commute or want to multitask around the house. I'd recommend at least giving it a shot. You can start off on Audible for free, to test the waters.

Miz likes this.