1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Thamob, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

I first got into the law of attraction and got some spooky results with it; that was when I realized scientific materialism is bullshit and that consciousness can affect the material world. I then researched the origins of the LOA and found out about the New Thought Movement. I then looked into the origin of that and found it was rooted in Hermeticism, which itself is rooted in the mystery schools of Greece and Egypt. From there I learned about the Golden Dawn and then Aleister Crowley. Now I'm researching left-hand path philosophies. My current practice is to always be reading two books at once, one nonfiction and one fiction.

The occult is not for dilettantes. It's extremely complex and most of our conditioning has been designed to keep us from understanding it. The only way to understand it is to experience it. Pedantic debates about its philosophy are useless because the only truth that can be deduced is mathematics. The only way to understand that consciousness can affect the material world is to do it for yourself.

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

That is a good practice. I try to do it, but generally veer to non-fiction, unfortunately.

3. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I truly believe human beings will make the greatest evolutionary progression when consciousness becomes hackable or is trained in such methods from birth. It is saddening that even LOA is considered to be fringe pseudo-science to most even though meditation and visualization is recognized.

How far have you taken such studies? How does it differ from LOA? Is it more about ritual than anything else as portrayed by media? The occult generally has a negative connotation. Do you find it to be so after your studies?

4. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

I have not read a new fiction book in about a decade, unless you count God's Debris, which was an existential thought experiment in the form of a fictional dialectic.

5. Poindexter

@jokerthief Did you ever check out "Wandering Joy: Meister Eckhart's Mystical Philosophy"? I read a little bit. Fascinating stuff.

6. jokerthief

There are several schools of thought and various practices. There are ritual invocations and evocations, meditations, yoga, divination, and practical magick techniques. I've stuck to mostly invocations, meditations, and tarot. Tarot meditations have been the most amazing as far as gaining insight into how the mind works. I always invoke IAO (Isis, Apophis, Osiris) before working with tarot. Working with the Tree of Life has been instructive on how the universe works. I've healed two colds within 12 and 8 hours each respectively with the Middle Pillar meditation.

I also still use law of attraction meditations every day. Many occultists poo poo it, but it's damn effective in my experience. I think part of the problem is the book "The Secret." That's a poor treatise on the LOA. It's too basic and is insufficient. A better name for the LOA would be mentalism. Basically, you get into a meditative state and send out your will to the universe with thought and strong emotion. It's a skill to do it right. Doing it wrong won't yield any results. I was good at it right away because I had a couple hundred hours of meditation training before I came across the LOA. You have to get into a meditative state before it will work well. You also have to be able to focus your thoughts in an intense manner.

One thing that I do every day is envision that I will have harmonious interactions with the people I interact with. It's amazing how differently people treat me since I've begun this practice. I'll also use it for little things like attracting perfectly ripe cut mangoes at the grocery store. Before I started to do this I would rarely find perfectly ripe mangoes. After doing this meditation I've always found them to be perfectly ripe. I've also used it for bigger things like attracting business opportunities.

Basically, my life has been utterly transformed since studying the occult. I've developed a strong internal locus of control and life just flows positively.
    --- Post Added -- May 3, 2016, ---
    I'm aware of his work but haven't read that book.

7. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

@jokerthief said, "Basically, my life has been utterly transformed since studying the occult. I've developed a strong internal locus of control and life just flows positively." If you knew a guy who was not super smart and you were going to advise them to read one book, that they could understand about what your talking about, what would it be?

8. Thamob

Thamob ISYMFS

I'm trying I Robot right now by Asimov. Interesting read so far.

Trodden likes this.
  9. jokerthief

The first thing to read is the second line of Isaac Newton's translation of the Emerald Tablet of Heremes. Don't worry about the other lines at this point. The second line reads, "That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing."

What that refers to is that there is some creative quality of the macrocosm (the universe) and that the same creative quality is found in the microcosm (human beings). The most fundamental principle in the universe is consciousness. Matter is one mode of consciousness like ice is one mode of water. Humans have both matter consciousness and that type of consciousness that gives rise to matter. Each of us affects our material circumstances with our thoughts and emotions.

The basic theory of magick is that the subconscious mind is the higher form of consciousness in us that can affect the lower form of consciousness in the universe (matter). The conscious mind can program (or send instructions) to the subconscious mind if it is disciplined or if the will is directed in a certain way.

I think the best place for a newbie to start out would be studying the law of attraction. The best book on that is The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I would also start meditating, as being able to focus the mind plays a big part in the effectiveness of the law of attraction. Start by just meditating one minute a day. Then slowly work yourself up to 10-20 minutes per day.

Once you understand that consciousness can affect matter, you'll start to live differently. You will be very careful what you say to yourself and how your attitude is. Anything you think will have an effect on your life. Once you fully accept that fact, you will begin to tend the garden of your mind very carefully. Then your mind will start to have an increasingly positive influence on your life.

The major reason why people fail with the law of attraction is that they don't intensely focus their will during their Creative Workshop (a law of attraction meditation that is explained in the book). The book, "The Secret" kinda gives off the impression that you can lackadaisically think positive thoughts every now and again and you'll attract abundance in your life. That won't work. You have to do multiple focused meditations during the day (most will only be few seconds long) in addition to just generally having positive thoughts.

One more thing. The subconscious mind doesn't understand negative instructions. If you meditate "don't let me see anyone I don't want to see," the subconscious mind will interpret that as "manifest for me people I don't want to see." You always have to program the subconscious mind with positive commands (I will only see people I want to see).
    --- Post Added -- May 3, 2016, ---
    An addendum. There is a very good reason why nearly all professional athletes visualize success prior to performing. It's because it taps into the higher consciousness and manifests better results for them. It's been proven time and time again that this is an effective strategy. They are all basically doing a law of attraction meditation when they visualize.
    --- Post Added -- May 4, 2016, ---
    I'm a little bothered by this line. Miz, you're definitely smart enough to understand the occult. I can tell by how well you write.

10. Miz

Thanks JT. I was just being a little self deprecating. I do need to be more confident at times.

@jokerthief i ordered four books by Steven Pressfield b/c I liked the war of art so much. Have you read do the work, gates of fire, legend of bagger Vance, or turning pro. The legend of bagger Vance was the first movie my wife and I saw on our first date almost 16 years ago.

11. jokerthief

I've bought "The Legend of Bagger Vance," "Turning Pro," and "The Authentic Swing." I've read the last two and I think they're both really good. I plan to read "The Legend of Bagger Vance" after I finish Faust. "Turning Pro" is "The War of Art" on another level. It's a great sequel.

About intelligence and confidence: intelligence is way overrated. Those who underestimate their intelligence are probably able to out-compete someone who is really smart but arrogant about their intelligence. What matters in this world is work ethic.

My accounting professor in college gave our class a really good speech on the first day about intelligence. He told us that he has a below-average intelligence but that he was able to overcome it with a strong work ethic. The guy went on to get a PhD in one of the most difficult majors. At the time I thought he was lying, but as I got older, I realized he was telling the truth. I've met a lot of people who seem a little slow but have accomplished great things because they have a strong work ethic.

One of the things Steven Pressfield writes about in "The War of Art" is that the true artist is not confident. Confidence is not a good trait for an artist because it creates self-satisfaction and stagnation. The unconfident artist will always strive to improve. And that will eventually turn them into a great artist, if they are not already (many are).

Miz, you're smart enough to do whatever you want to do in life. Your lack of confidence can be transmuted into something positive if you use it to drive yourself to work really hard. You'll get much further in life than most "smart people" because a strong work ethic is much more rare than high intelligence.

12. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

azazel was always my favorite Asimov creation

13. jokerthief

Just looked that one up. Looks interesting. It's going on my queue.

Another funny thing, I just finished the Call of Cthulhu before starting Faust. Are you controlling my mind or something?

14. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

Azazel is a great read. Tons of different stories that make u think.

I'm not smart enough to control your mind. I'm barely in charge of mine. But the power of Cthulhu compels you!

jokerthief likes this.
  15. Miz

Just got done reading Do The Work by Steven Pressfield. Going to read the Legend of Bagger Vance next also by Pressfield.

16. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Re-reading Are You Ready To Succees because it is that good.

17. Poindexter

I'm not ready to succees. I'm trying to get ready though.

18. Beardown98

Beardown98 Well-Known Member

Just started Trigger Warning a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. He is one of my favorite authors Neverwhere and American Gods are two of my favorite books.

19. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

My signature "You get what anyone gets, you get a lifetime" is a Neil Gaiman quote. I know I should credit him, I don't want to change the way I've had my signature.

20. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Pick the book up for yourself. You can get it used for 1 dollar and 7 in shipping. That book is a mindset shift for anyone who is unhappy with their current circumstances from the massively rich lawyer to the pauper who strives to be an entrepreneur.