Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

Watchmen WARNING (no spoliers)

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Steel, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Steel

Steel Bi-product of the 80's

Do NOT bring your kids to this thinking it's a superhero movie...

Quite a bit if violence, sex and wang time from Dr. Manhattan.

I post this because there were actually a few parents who brought their kids thinking it was like Spiderman 3 and were bent especially about the amount of times the blue wang was shown which was too much IMHO.

Great movie if you knew what it was going in.

2. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

And those parents are fucking idiots.

Watchmen - Rated R.

And the R doesn't mean Really cool

Palma and Miz like this.
  3. William Munny

William Munny Well-Known Member

When I saw Friday the 13th there were three families there with kids under the age of 8-9. Hilarious.

4. Steel

Steel Bi-product of the 80's

It's fucked up. Then people wonder why their kids grow up swinging around a pole wearing clear heels or mugging old people.

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Many sociological studies have shown that admiration and approval of peers has more to do with the development of a young mind than a parent ever could hope to have...

While I am under no illusion that there are many parents who should not have children, not all bad seeds arise from bad apples...

rivethead and Poindexter like this.
  6. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

are you saying that if kids go to R-Rated movies they'll become strippers or muggers? what does seeing a movie like watchmen or friday the 13th have to do with becoming a stripper or a mugger? if you're argument was "and people wonder why their kids grow up to show their big blue dick to everyone" or "and people wonder why their kids end up getting hacked to death in a forest" that'd be one thing. i grew up watching r-rated movies, and aside from smoking weed ive never broken the law in my life, and most people i know and grew up with saw the same movies growing up and they're fine upstanding citizens as well.

its not always the fault of media. people don't become muggers because of the movies they see. they become muggers because of poverty and upbringing. its ridiculous to claim otherwise. its been proven through numerous studies that violent movies and video games have little to no impact on how a child will turn out, and in the cases it would have an impact its really only piggybacking on an existing condition, like bad parenting or a preexisting mental disorder.

7. jesusatemyhotdog

I don't think that it is so much that they will be damaged individuals, I just don't think it is fair to expose young people to sex and violence while they are too immature and underdeveloped to be able to contextualize what they are seeing. It creates confusion and as such I don't think that they should be exposed to something like Watchmen or Friday the 13th. Especially those under 12 or so years old.

rivethead likes this.
  8. Ninjastix

Because we make them that way heysuess...

Depriving young people of responsibility and raising them in "contained" environments with rated information will keep them immature and under-developed...

A child is as capable of understanding a human body or form just as an adult is, and violence permeates every facet of American culture and life, they may not understand the nuances of it, but I'm sure they could understand the force of violence...

Watchmen isn't a movie for children because of sex and violence, no movie should be restricted in such a way, because both sex and violence have everything to do with who and what we are... instead it isn't a movie for children because they clearly lack the experience to disseminate the information...

Shielding children from sex or violence doesn't make them "better" people, just less informed in my opinion...

In a world of sex and violence it's never to early to expose people to the truth... more than likely they're not going to run off into the woods screaming naked... and if they do...

One less person to deal with...

9. Mac

Mac Member<br>I am Macatron!

I have a 13 year old son. I plan on taking him to see Watchmen and already took him to see Friday 13th. I don't mind him watching this stuff if myself, his mother, my fiancee or another adult is present because then there can be a dialogue about it. I do however have the parental controls on his TV set so he can't watch when no ones around.

10. jesusatemyhotdog

The bolded statement is the exact same point of mine that you bolded. I didn't propose to shield them from the ideas of sex and violence. I think in the instance of certain movies (this being one of them) it is unfair to show it to a child because they cannot disseminate the information as you say within the context of the presentation as I say.

I don't think simply because a movie is R-Rated means a child shouldn't see it. It depends on the context. In a slapstick comedy with some F-Bombs and maybe some tits is fine (Slapshot is a prime Canadian example every kid sees that by age 10) because it is easier for a child to contextualize the purpose.

11. Ninjastix

well I didn't say that to consider it was either fair or unfair, harmful of harmless...other to say that a child isn't going to lack to the reference to make clear sense of the material... so they don't really understand what's going...

For example, Richard Nixon alone carries a certain weight of expectation and understanding that a 5 year is probably going to lack unless he has some pretty involved parents...

But they can still watch the shiny blue man take things apart and put them back together...

For me it's just a matter of kid not understanding the overall picture, and therefore not understand more than the spectacle of it all, but you never know... a fresh perspective can surprise... sometimes kids see things we take for granted or over look...

I guess what I'm saying is...

Take your kids to see Watchmen...

12. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

Jesus remember when the Passion of the Christ came out? of course you do lol, people brought their kids to a snuff film, so unless The Watchmen is as bad the passion. I don't think it's a big deal. When I was a kid I remember watching Werewolves of London, man thats was scary, but if my parents let me watch The Passion of the Christ well that's just is child abuse.

13. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

14. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Show comes out October 20th! I’m excited. Anyone else? I loved the graphic novel.

15. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

I'm also excited.

16. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I’m super on the fence, because it doesn’t make sense to make this series and it’ll be made by the king of guys that make shows that don’t make sense. But it looks good and I wanna like it. So I’ll be watching

17. Ninjastix

I'm cautious. I think the initial premise seems interesting, I really like the aspect of Police concealing their identities. That's a very clever plot element that has broad implications for the world they're creating. So long as the show has a purpose. I'm beyond tired of meandering narratives that lose their own momentum because the story or show forgets it identity. If Watchmen can do 1 or 2 clever things well - it'll appease me.

But let's be honest that's not what's going to happen here. There's going to clusterbomb you into submission with potential plotlines. I foresee subplots upon subplots upon subplots.

18. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I can’t remember the book, or movie, super well. I know this will be way different, but will the naked blue guy be in it? Asking for Iljo.

19. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Well I'm depressed. Thanks alot

Poindexter and Miz like this.
  20. Ninjastix

Well I'm happy to report I'm right as fuck.

I did enjoy the first episode but they are setting up an AWFUL lot. There are a lot of spinning plates here. Political divides, racial divides, geo-political divides, extra-dimensional divides! But it's interesting. It's extremely interesting. It's a gosh-darn interesting take on this world. It took an established property and did something new with it. I'm fucking shocked. A story.. advanced? In 2019? What magical world of possibilities did I stumble into?

Also the music is so sexy. This Trent Reznor guy ain't half bad.

Palma and Poindexter like this.