1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Shows Cop Slam, Beat Black Man After Alleged Jaywalking

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Trodden, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/v...fter-alleged-jaywalking/ar-BBzJYnx?li=BBnb7Kz

fuck the police

2. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

Lololol fucking jay walking. Are you fucking serious right now. That's fucking sooooooo ridiculous. Just the fact that a cop enforces that. Lol not to mention the rest of the bullshit
    --- Post Added -- Apr 12, 2017, ---
    The way the things are in this country, why would you bother with jaywalking. I mean it's so fucking NOTHING. The fact that a situation like this could transpire over it. What fucking value is there in it. All you need to do if you really are that bored, just a simple hey man, you can't be just walking out like that. I mean I even think that's pointless but fuck why the hell would you want to even have this happen. I'll never get it.

3. Trodden

cops are trained not to take shit and be the dominate one in all situations

anytime they feel someone isnt listening to them theyre almost encouraged to fuck with them

I hope the cop ends up guarding a walmart

I know they have this retarded philosophy of when cops are theyre, in any situation they are in charge

for the life of me I cant think of it, but its shit like that to blame for this. Im a cop and you have to do everything I say

I wish I could remember wtf its called

4. JeterLover27

I don't agree with that fully. In certain situations they are in charge and you do have to do what they say and in other cases you do not. I don't think "most" cops think that way.

disposableassassin likes this.
  5. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

Sometimes I wonder if these videos do more harm than good. I wonder if it's creating a sort of mania that is making it more likely that these incidents happen in the future. First of all, individual cases of police abuse should not be shocking, from a statistical analysis. There are about 1.1 million full time police officers in America. With a group as large as that, there are going to be thousands of bad apples within that group. There is no way to prevent that. So we should expect that these kinds of videos will pop up on a consistent basis. The law of large numbers dictates that it must happen.

But if people watch these videos and they don't have that perspective, they can easily be fooled into thinking there is an institutional problem here instead of mere statistical aberrations. And once that meme spreads, it can lead people to overreact to police interactions. Most of those will end well because most police officers will respond well, but those interactions could wear on certain officers and some of them could end up cracking under some future pressure. And some of those will get filmed and distributed on social media, furthering the mania.

It's a tricky situation because we want transparency, but spreading a false meme will also have consequences.

6. Trodden

lemme guess, youre white?

cause I strongly disagree there

Ive lived in Illinois, California, Oregon, Colorado, and now Missouri

Im half mexican and to most people I look arabic, and everytime the cops fuck with me they act that way. every. single. time.

and its not just me, Ive seen it a shit load, in every state. one of my closet friends is a black gay man and you wouldnt believe how often he gets fucked with for NO reason and every cop HAS to act like if they dont listen, theyre in trouble

cops are in charge when there is EVIDENCE of a crime, the rest of the time they are not

https://www.policeone.com/legal/art...rom-police-US-courts-apply-a-double-standard/

even if a cop tells you to stop, you dont have to unless they can prove youre in a high crime area, whatever that means (based on criteria), you dont have to

and if you dont think race plays a role, please find one video of a white guy jaywalking, committing no other crime, getting tackled and repeatedly punched in the head, while down, by a cop

wish I could think of that damn thing they teach cops about being in control all the time
    --- Post Added -- Apr 12, 2017, ---
    command presence, thats it

they teach cops that, and its a license to be an asshole to most

7. JeterLover27

From my experience I just don't think that's accurate is all. Yeah I am white. I still don't agree with you that most cops think that way. Also, command presence ,yeah how they hold themselves at a scene of a crime does mean every interaction goes that way at all. Most officers know what the rights are of the people they are interacting with and know what that and can not do and what they should and should not do. That's most police officers, clearly as joker said above there are statistic that say there are some that do take part in that other bullsht you describe. I'm not saying it does not happen but that's just my personal opinion is all.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    disposableassassin and Trodden like this.
  8. Trodden

theyre shouldnt be bad apples

they fired a taco bell employee for taking a picture licking taco shells

do we hold fast food workers to a higher standard of ethics?

I hate the bad apple analogy, as if you opened a barrel of apples and some were moldy youd throw them all out or risk an illness among those who were exposed to them

I expect the guy at McD's to give me a damn cheeseburger and not say shit about my health, I expect a cop to 'serve and protect' the people, not be judge/jury.

if you dont have the temperament to do the job, dont apply

9. JeterLover27

And more often than not those officers are fired. It happens all the time, people tend to get upset about instances where courts find the officer not guilty of something, such as when there is a shooting. They are not just getting off cause they are police, everything is looked at by prosecution ect if it gets that far they are given a trial just like anyone else and convicted or not convicted by a jury. There is so much that's not presented to the public and the stuff that is usually is the black and white version. (No pun) the specifics are neglected and the story spins a totally different way. Most officers who do things like this are terminated. Chiefs are not going to put their necks out for an officer unless it's justified. They just are not going to do that.

10. Trodden

I googled "number of cops reassigned for abuse" and got quite a few results, mainly like these

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nions-keep-abusive-cops-on-the-street/383258/

How Police Unions and Arbitrators Keep Abusive Cops on the Street

https://www.policefoundation.org/wp...et-al.-2001-The-Abuse-of-Police-Authority.pdf

page 26

then I googled "number of cops fired for abuse"

found some articles on Budapest Hungary, but most talk about cops with a history of abuse getting their jobs back

11. JeterLover27

From what I know, most lose their jobs. That's all I can say.

12. disposableassassin

disposableassassin A bucket of fuck it Site Donor

I have friends that are damn fine officers as well as friends that have been ruthlessly profiled, harassed, and assaulted by damn poor officers.

That said, I am completely against this whole war on police thing. I firmly support the police department and have full respect for the men and women that perform what I see as one of the more difficult and dangerous professions in the world.

How is it the fault of all officers if some don't get punished for wrongdoing? That is a failing of the legal system not a condemnation of all who don the uniform.

13. Trodden

faulting the officers, and faulting the system are different

but terrible things happen when the public doesnt trust the police, fewer crimes get reported, more criminals walk the street

a bad cop isnt the fault of good cops

a bad cop staying on the job is the fault of our system

14. Neganomics

Neganomics Your Trusted Web M.Deezy

Sounds like a good argument to not over-politicize and sensationalize instances of police violence. Is that what you're suggesting?

15. Ct_L33T

Ct_L33T Well-Known Member

This negative view of Police forces is widespread in American minority communities (Chiefly Black and Hispanic) and has been that way since the creation of police forces in America (in many states originating as slave patrols). At no point in history has this relationship been good. The only difference is now there are videos showing that their grievances aren't all just made up stories.

kanobro likes this.
  16. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

this

17. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Damn that cop beat the fuck out of that guy.

I got a $100 jaywalking ticket in Athens, GA on gameday 10 years ago. There were people in the streets everywhere and a guy vomiting on the curb 5 feet from me, and that fuckface wrote me a ticket.

Had I not been underage, drunk and high out of my mind I would have politely told him to go fuck himself. I'm glad I didn't do that.

18. jokerthief

Videos aren't evidence of anything significant though. Like I said earlier, with 1.1 million cops out there, incidence of police abuse have to happen due to the large numbers of interactions and the infallibility of human nature. Even a hundred videos is not statistically significant and can't be viewed as concrete evidence of an institutional problem. My fear is that a lack of understanding of statistics will lead the general public to think the problem is worse than it actually is and that this will lead to a feeling of despair for certain individuals, making it more likely that they themselves will become victims of something like this by not handling police interactions wisely.

But this genie is already out of the bottle, so something significant must be done. I think there needs to be a large-scale study of policing in America so we can get statistically significant information as to whether there is a problem or not. It's very possible that there is. It's also possible that there isn't. But we need to know, and anecdotal evidence (which individual videos basically are) is not enough to reach a conclusion.

The situation right now is very unorganized. We need good information before any solution can be found.

19. Ct_L33T

Ct_L33T Well-Known Member

Do the past DOJ reports on police departments in Ferguson, Baltimore, and Chicago not state this exactly?

kanobro and Trodden like this.
  20. jokerthief

No because I don't know about them. I'm saying the problem is so big right now that something very significant and something very public needs to happen.

The thing is, if there is widespread police abuse, then the problem I outlined earlier is still valid, if not worse. If there is a problem, people will be more prone to overreact to police interactions, which will lead to more incidents. Now you have a very serious political problem and the public needs to see action and feel like progress is being made.