Vent and Post Your Random Rant Here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by FrankieButNotEdgar, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

i never did get to fixing that, i am 42

Trodden and Kano like this.
  2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

So tried to watch Joe for the first time,

He's far from funny.

3. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

You have my sympathies. :lombard:

Kano and Poindexter like this.
  4. Qball1974

Now this is a funny guy.

5. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

^ never seen that one before.

6. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I think pinterest should be included in all virus definitions and never be allowed to be on my computer again.

here's a hint. you can edit your hosts file and set the ip to something else and never have to be plagued by it again.
    --- Post Added -- Mar 22, 2018, ---
    i thought his early stuff was pretty damned funny, but as time went on i didn't. never figured out if I just got tired of it, or if his material just got weak

check out some of "I'm gonna be dead someday"

Qball1974 likes this.
  7. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

So this is a tough pill to swallow..

When I took my current job it was a gamble. The gamble was that I wouldn't be directly applying what I had just completed my technical schooling for, instead I'd trade that for the opportunity to work myself into Software Dev, Dev-Ops, or Management. Initially the gamble paid off, I made Manager in less than a year but that was a very short windfall.

Since that time I've seen my team cut by 75%. I've seen outsourcing and 3 product transitions within the business (meaning we moved from segment to segment to segment). The last one has me with the biggest earner in the business that operates as a platform, not installation software so they have no idea what we are or what to do with us. All they know is that we cost them money so at the end of 2017 the pursue strings were cut.

Now I float on both a literal and figurative island. Literal in that I'm the last product person in my entire office section. I sit by myself as my two remaining domestic reports are remote (different states actually). The remnants of our product knowledge have all but left with my former manager and BA leaving next week. To make it even more jarring, the products adjacent to me that were once all part of a litigation software portfolio were sold. These were two products in "maintenance" meaning they weren't being sold or developed. They now have a new lease on life and will eventually be departing this building to work at a new office space in Raleigh.

While I'm happy for those teams I can't help but further feel slighted by multiple facets of the business. But that's small potatoes. In the last few months I have a sneaking suspicion that my lapse in growing my tech skills will have hurt me. I think I have no less than 20-25 applications in circulation, all within my wheelhouse for the most part, nothing over the scope of what I'm earning now. Thus far I've been getting 0 traction.

I'm stuck here watching something I believe is viable and useful software die. Everything I tried to do to manage the slide of our client and employee experience has failed for the most part. And I'm losing the last remnants of being able to mentor, coach, and aid our lateral teams. When I started this job it was EXACTLY what I wanted -> project managed technical support that offered pathways to expertise. I became an expert, and a leader just in time to watch the bottom fall out.

I have 0 help. I have 0 resources. And currently, no way out.

I think this makes this the single worst employment experience I've ever had.

Goremire, Noise and Poindexter like this.
  8. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

How do people still manage to lose all of their contacts when they change phones?

9. Qball1974

Wouldn't know,

my phone is on the wall.

[​IMG]

Spoon likes this.
  10. Noise

Noise Ruido

Decided I'm not going to leave a tip for anyone, anywhere, for three years because of that pussy ass Virginia restaurant that got uppity about a little kid paying his tip in quarters.

Hm, just re-read this: five years.

Qball1974 likes this.
  11. Qball1974

I did that when I was younger, do your job asshole.

Then I had a job that tipped, cheap ass mutherfukers!!!

12. Noise

Noise Ruido

Way to let the terrorists win in both instances, pussy.

13. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

The demographics of who tips well and who doesn't is fascinating.

14. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I prefer to give just the tip.

15. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

If you don’t tip well, you should stay your sorry ass at home. Servers traditionally work their ass off and make less than minimum wage. They rely on tips. If you can’t tip them, then cook the shit and serve yourself.

Afro, sourdough and Miz like this.
  16. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I agree. I had a guy in my squad when I was in Kosovo that said he didn’t tip because they should get a job that doesn’t rely on tips. I made him wait in the humvees when we’d eat. What a jackass he was.

So I’ve been really trying hard to improve at golf. Lately I’ve been getting a lot better. Last night I took a lesson from someone who is good. Now I have to change my grip and stance. It will help in the long run but fuck my life I’m gonna suck for a while.

Kevo and Poindexter like this.
  17. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Tipping a small thing that goes a long way where it's socially acceptable to do so. Obviously some cultures it's seen as insulting or embarrassing, and that should absolutely be respected. But if you go out to eat and you have reasonably accommodating service then tip and tip well. My wife and I have seen servers damn near brought to tears by 15 and 20 dollar tips on even cheap meals because we wanted to express our satisfaction with the service.

Small thing. Long way. If you can't afford to tip.then just grab self or fast service food. Fucking even then I tip.

18. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

My dad, who has a decent amount of money, has become a bad tipper with age. He’ll tip but not well. After we get up I just say I’m going to the restroom and I go back to give more money. If you can eat out you can tip.

19. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

15% is normal for me to tip. I do go above that routinely for good service.
    Rarely below 15% but I will for terrible service.

Qball1974 and Ninjastix like this.
  20. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I don't even calculate a percentage. I just give what I feel like giving and it's more than the standard percentage. People who bitch about their job have never waited tables.

Kevo likes this.