1. "UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Early Prelims start at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

using the term 'undisputed champ' in the UFC. here's the truth

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by thumper, Feb 17, 2012.

1. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

I posted this in a thread elsewhere when someone was asking a questions about the term, and it's something that's always bugged me that they use in the UFC. but it seems a LOT of people misunderstand what it means.

for one, there really is no such thing as a 'disputed' champion in the UFC and 'undisputed' is a silly claim when used anywhere in the UFC since there are no other orgs that compete with the UFC (holding co-promoted fights)

undisputed champion is a term for boxing, and it means nothing about a interim champ. It refers to other orgs. an undisputed champ has won the belt at least two of the organizations WBA, WBC, WBO, and IBF. it's a term the WBA coined i think when it was still called the NBA (national boxing association), if a fighter had two of the four belts he was considered undisputed (or a super champ in the WBA). ironically holding a belt IN the WBA is not required for them to declare a fighter an undisputed champ. as long as he holds two or more of the same weight class belts in the other 3.

Some people consider an undisputed champ as someone that holds ALL the org's belts, but I dont think that's official. (could be wrong)

this is also where the term 'unification bout' came from. two belt holders from the same weight class in different orgs would fight to unify the belt. The UFC tried to use that term with the Rampage/hendo fight but that was laughable. pride was already dead.

in the UFC they use it because it sounds cooler i guess. but it's completely irrelevent.

2. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

Yep you are correct on every level, it's silly and not needed.

3. Malevolence

Malevolence ...TESTING POSITIVE FOR TURINABOL

I agree,unless they co-promote then the term undisputed is a redundant one & we all know it'll be a cold day in hell before the UFC runs cross promotions.

Call me a cynic but I think they drop the word undisputed in as often as possible because it's the name of their Xbox/play station game,it's a way to keep reminding you,to keep shovin it out there...it's the Costanza method...Costanza,Costanza,Costanza.

Palma likes this.
  4. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Just one of those things I don't mind it, Carlin said it best when he said "if it's undisputed... then what's all the fighting about?"

kanobro likes this.
  5. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

I can understand the term "undisputed" in terms of who it was between Rampage/Hendo and Hendo/Silva, mainly because even though Pride was dead...Hendo was still their champ and did the unification of the belts in those two fights.

I was gonna quote that you fucker...

6. thumper

actually, I was wrong (shocker). I guess I'm old and forgetful because I just looked this up.

You are now the undisputed champ if you hold ALL 4 belts. you are the unified champ if you hold 2 or more (meaning you unified some belts, but not all).

also, you don't have to beat 4 champs to be undisputed. if you have one strap and beat a guy that had the other 3, your're undisputed.

Some orgs have other titles too like Champion Emeritus (WBC), which means a fighter that has taken an extended period off that holds the belt. it means he can take his time off but is immediately the first in line whenever he comes back for a title shot. Klitschko did this after being gone a few years and coming back.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

i don't think that's the case. though I could be wrong. I remember bruce buffer saying undisputed way before TUF even happened. years before UFC Undisputed the game.

7. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

It is simple just say Undisputed UFC champion of the world.

8. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

Most of those belts are just bullshit anyways, boxing is so fragmented, every promoter is just out fill his pockets.

9. Malevolence

Malevolence ...TESTING POSITIVE FOR TURINABOL

Buffman has certainly been using the term 'undisputed' to describe UFC champs during his intros for ever,I'm pretty sure he did with Tito at the first UFC I watched (#40),I'm just finding that the U word is being banded about a lot more since the advent of the video game,but like I said I'm a cynic & sometimes I'll convince myself something is happening when really nothing of the sort is going on.

Costanza,Costanza,Costanza.

10. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

[​IMG]

Hell must be freezing over

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  11. Notrightn0w

Notrightn0w Smells like a whorehouse

Well technically the UFC's belts have been fractured as well but the only should be "undisputed champ" that isn't holding the title is Overeem.

12. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

undisputed champ in the UFC seems pretty silly in at least one weight class weight class.

Poindexter likes this.
  13. thumper

it sounds sillly in any capacity in an org that fights only within itself.

kanobro likes this.
  14. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

I never really thought about that because I assumed it was promoter hype. Is the idea that you're only the undisputed champ if there's no interim champ?

15. thumper

in the UFC? yes, originally? no, undisputed means you own the belts in all the relevant orgs.

there's a shitload of orgs in boxing, but the only ones that matter are WBA, WBC, WBO, and IBF

they all have the same weight classes. so you can call yourself the WBA world champion. but in order to be an undisputed champion you'd have hat to beat all the champs in all of the other 3 orgs too. That's where the term came from.

the point is every single title holder is an undisputed champ. the orgs WBA, WBC, WBO, and IBF all recognize each other now.

since 2007 to be undisputed you had to win all 4 of them. There has never been a champion that owned all 4. before that lenox lewis was the last 'undisputed' because he had the WBC, WBA, IBF belts. but that was in 2000. so it's been almost 18 years since there was an undisputed champ

the whole pride ufc stuff is mental masturbation. you can't 'unify' belts when one is even in operation anymore. it was the closest thing to it, but it's like calling someone a two division champ in the UFC at the same time when they aren't even actually active in one of the divisions. it's pointless.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  16. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

If you're going to use it in UFC then it should be the linear champion and also having the belt.

@Notrighn0w did a linear thing a few years back. It would be interesting to see the current linear champions.

17. thumper

hmm you mean a lineal champ? that still wouldn't work because a lineal champ is either someone that has beaten an undisputed champ but didn't beat the champs in the other orgs, or a lineal champ would be say, someone that's a belt holder in one org then came to the UFC and became champ

So a lineal champ would have to be someone that comes from, say Bellator as the champ, and beats the UFC champ. but that can't happen because all orgs have a championship clause that doesn't allow the champ to just leave.

the ONLY way that was possible is when the UFC bought Pride, strikefore etc, but they fedexed those belts to people before they ever fought in the org (aldo, rousey).

and if the org is bought and dissolved it really doesn't count because it's no longer active in the other org anyway

both examples require a fighter to have belts in multiple orgs and that doesn't work in mma except maybe invicta/ufc., and since no orgs cross promote it can't happen. A bellator champ can't come to the UFC, win a belt then go back to Bellator, or vice versa

18. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR