1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

UFC working on Robert Whittaker vs. Luke Rockhold for UFC 221 in Perth

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:19 PM.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

--- Post Added -- Dec 6, 2017 at 4:20 PM, ---

2. Miz

Miz Badlands

That will be a good fight. I’ll root for Bobby Knuckles. That is what the cool kids call him?

Malevolence, Kevo and Qball1974 like this.
  3. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

man that would be a great fight

I would like to see him be not such a dickhead and be champ again. we all know GSP is out at MW
    --- Post Added -- Dec 6, 2017 at 8:10 PM, ---
    So help me understand something. what is he bummed about? both luke and robert have great records, whitiker is the interim champ and luke lost what everyone knows was a fluke.

i don't understand what grounds he thinks he has to complain? is it his 4-3-1 record over the last couple years? can't be

what in the world is his complaint?

you really have to stretch to find something to complain about that matchup. i don't get it. how could he justify thinking he should be next?

i have to be misunderstanding

4. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I have no problem with the match up.

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

It's a great matchup. Luke is tough for anybody, but I'm a fan of The Reaper. I'm also a fan of seeing Rockhold get smashed. I'd hope for that. I'd be down for Kelvin getting the shot as well.

6. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

I don't think it was a fluke at all

Malevolence, Qball1974 and Kevo like this.
  7. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Oh Fatsolum......

What the fucking fuck are you complaining about?

A guy misses weight as many times as you, should be fired, not given Main Events.

And yes you main evented 2 Fight Night cards on foreign soil. That's almost as prestigious as being on the Spike Prelims for a PPV. Some dude named Brandon Moreno headlined a UFN. You're not special.

"Against former champions ranked in the top 10..."
    Yup, you beat a wouldn't have been medically cleared to fight Bisping if this was the US. Lost to Weidman, whose stock is dropping like panties at a Nick Jonas concert. And your fight against 87-year old Vitor was overturned (which is another reason you should have been fired).

Don't wanna hate on you so bad, but WTF? For whatever reason the powers-that-be fucking love you and are giving you golden ticket after golden ticket and you've done fuckall with them. Outside of Micahel Bisping I literally cannot think of a single fighter that has been handed so many opportunities to succeed.

And if you wanna be a model........Krispy Kreme always needs a spokesperson.

Malevolence likes this.
  8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

9. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

It wasn't. Lucky punches and flukes are a myth, an excuse used by losers.

10. Afro

Bas Rutten agrees with you

Malevolence and chuckthechamp like this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Good, than I know I'm right.

Malevolence and chuckthechamp like this.
  12. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Good thinking because it wasn't.

Malevolence likes this.
  13. chuckthechamp

chuckthechamp #NinerEmpire

Ive said this before and i say it again. In combat sports, there are no such things as lucky punches. If a pro fighter thows a punch combo, it is intended to land. No luck there..
    --- Post Added -- Dec 7, 2017 at 6:33 PM, ---
    Great fight too btw..

Afro likes this.
  14. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Ok, but as someone who does compete, I can confidently say sometimes punches are thrown WITHOUT the intention of them landing because you use them to set up other strikes.

So if it's not intended to land, but does, is that a lucky punch?

15. Afro

I hope I don't come off sounding like a douche here but what is a punch thrown that you don't intend to land exactly?

Kevo likes this.
  16. NotSoDarkAngel

Personally, I like to throw a jab, cross, and follow with a right side body kick. I use the cross to force my opponent to raise his guard to expose his body. So my cross barely lands, it's more of a distraction.

I also like the jab, cross, left hook to the liver. Again, the cross keeps my opponents hands up as a distraction while letting me load up on a left hook to the liver.

Let me be clear though, I'm not saying bisping did or didn't do anything like this, all I'm saying is it's not uncommon to throw a strike without expecting it to land. I've always approached it as a chess match, moves and counter moves. If you can force your opponent to react, you give yourself an opening.

17. Afro

Oh so feints?

18. NotSoDarkAngel

Feints are more of throwing your shoulders or hips to cause a distraction. You can also throw a strike AT an opponents guard not expecting it to cause damage but to distract.

Feints aren't meant to make contact, what I'm talking about are strikes that are intended to land but not cause damage because you're using them to set up a subsequent strike. I'm really not sure if doing so has a specific name or not, I just do it because it works. I first noticed Carlos Condit doing it ( jab, cross, rear head kick) and loved it. Not the same as the one he did vs GSP though.

Malevolence likes this.
  19. Afro

So like pop shots kinda? or light punches

20. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

You can pump your jab to gage distance with no intention of landing.