UFC on FOX 29

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Kano, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

how do I say I lack subtlety in a coy manner?

2. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

The Diamond!!!

Malevolence likes this.
  3. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

4. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

JG & his team missed a huge opportunity during that fight.
    Why he wasn’t finishing every combo or engagement with a leg kick was stupid.

Also, DP was amazing. Threw a 8-strike combo in that fight. He had an almost perfect gameplan to stop JG coming forward.

5. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Fight of the Night: Dustin Poirier vs. Justin Gaethje

Performance of the Night: Alex Oliveira

Performance of the Night: Adam Wieczorek

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  6. Goremire

Goremire Senior Member Site Donor

He's like a Formula 1 driver who insists on driving with the handbrake on. On the one hand it's kind of impressive when you consider how many fights he's won despite himself.
    On the other, it's smack-your-head-on-a-desk frustrating when you consider what his ceiling could be if he would just FIGHT TO A SENSIBLE FUCKING GAME PLAN.

7. Miz

How many leg kicks did he throw? I thought he threw a lot of them. I bet Dustin is limping today.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

You have to mention a backup quarterback.

9. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

he threw a ton of them. DPs leg was toast a minute into the second round. But in the exchanges DP would plant his feet and and just use his shoulders to avoid shots. Perfect opportunity to get full effect on combo finishing leg kick. His corner should have spotted that and instructed him clearly. DP fought the right strategy. He was not going to back up when Justin came forward, instead he was going to stand his ground and out punch him in the exchanges. And it worked brilliantly. But had JG’s corner spotted this he could have adjusted and made DP pay for planting his feet and trading with him.
    --- Post Added -- Apr 15, 2018, ---
    As it was I think was still a FOTY candidate

Miz likes this.
  10. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

dustin was saying during an interview last night his leg was already stiff and he had trouble bending it. he was walking with crutches .

EDIT: here's the interview. he talks about it at the beginning
    You can also ff to 2:32 when he goes further about his leg and the kicks (but he talks about how it hurts right at the beginning). Looks like Thiago Alves told him to plant and counter when he started throwing way too many. holy FUCK. he did that shit intentionally

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Miz likes this.
  11. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

12. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Justin Gaethje might be the dumbest fighter in this sport today, his style is incredibly stupid.

13. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

After losing thriller to Dustin Poirier, Justin Gaethje believes he has five fights left

14. VimyRidge

VimyRidge Well-Known Member

Can you regret something if you can't remember anything? Gaethje needs to find a different camp where he can implement a completely different strategy. The Homer Simpson + leg kick strategy can only work for so long and against a certain level of competition.

15. Miz

I think that is who he is and who he wants to be.
    To be honest I like it.

16. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

So Stand and Gaethje the new Stand and Wang?

disposableassassin likes this.
  17. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

I propose that from here on out when a talented wrestler does nothing but strike, we call it "pulling a gay g"

Dimson likes this.
  18. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Aldo vs Justin at 155 would be fun

Miz and Dimson like this.
  19. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

when he said 'i don't fight to win or lose' it dawned on me either he's had his head beaten in so much his brain is like mac & cheese, or he was concussed.

either way, it's right up there with Tito as one of the dumbest statements i've ever seen in mma.

and that excuse sure sounds different from what he was saying when he was undefeated
    although I will admit something. i do remember seeing him say, way back in like 2015 that h knew he'd get knocked out sooner or later.

disposableassassin, Afro and Kano like this.
  20. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

I mean the way I see it, cool he's getting 50k bonuses for fighting like a complete idiot and probably a nice little level of job security too but down the line when he's shelling out cash left and right for brain scans just to find out if he's endanger of becoming a vegetable or not, is it really worth it just for what's essentially a cheap pop? I also think this sport is at a point where we shouldn't be celebrating these guys for fighting so sloppy... There's tons of guys out there now that can put out high levels of exciting striking offense without willingly negating their own defense for the sake of entertainment, it's just silly at this stage in the game.

It's funny because before the Gaethje fight I was thinking about a guy like Condit, 33 years old, high fight IQ throughout his career, aggressive guy but he didn't welcome his opponent's to punch him in the face like a Gaethje does and you could say Condit is pretty much punched his ticket at 33 due to all the wars he's been in throughout his career, and yet a guy like Gaethje is pretty much shortening his own career by choice.. It's odd, I get why people like these kind of fights and I don't blame them for doing so but me personally I find it to be an ignorant way of fighting, and sloppy.

disposableassassin likes this.