1. If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by. "UFC on ESPN+ 9: Iaquinta vs. Cowboy" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 5:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
    Dismiss Notice

UFC on ESPN 2: Barboza vs Gaethje - Results and Post Fight Discussion

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by S=E, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

the Just bleed gods must love Justin

Dimson likes this.
  2. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

I think we should keep our heads cool on Justin right now. he whooped ass last night, and he is a wicked puncher with an obviously incredible chin.

But it almost seems like people are set and convinced this guy is going to be champ and that's that. We should also keep in mind that Justin is 2-2 over the last two years, and one of those guys is still in the UFC (Dustin).

I think Justin might capture the belt but it will be a very short lived reign because he lost the porrier fight convincingly 2 years ago and was one more loss away from looking a whole lot differently. Anyone that can take him down and work that game is going to be a whole lot harder for him to beat as well.

The one thing I'll say is I've warmed up to him a lot. Since he got beat a couple times and lost that undefeated tag I think he's looking at other aspects of his game, and you can hear it in his interviews now.

I am not 100% sold on the guy as a champion quality fighter, but i am most definitely sold on him bringing in big PPV buys which the UFC really needs and I'm hoping they can keep him in that role.

I don't know, I've got a whole lot of thoughts about him, but I'm not sure where he's going to land yet. What I do know is since that 'undefeated' chip is gone, I like him a whole lot better, and PRAY he starts to use his grappling more, because that dude is going to be the poster child for CTE and punch drunk and he doesn't have to be.

Kevo and Qball1974 like this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I don't think he'll every be champion, but he'll never be in a boring fight.
    --- Post Added -- Mar 31, 2019, ---
    Which in a lot of ways is even more valuable

Cat--Smasher and Kano like this.
  4. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

I could see a lot of ways he could become champ. As long as whoever is at that particular time that he gets the shot can't get him on the ground he'll probably win.

the bottom line is Justin will never hold and retain a title because he's missing a part of his game (IMO). But time will tell.

Could be wrong, but we're talking about a guy that has substantial wrestling capabilities that lost two fights because he wouldn't use his wrestling. I'm not convinced he's even got enough control to fight smart. he fights caveman style.

I wish he would round out that game. the fuckin guy has the skills. but the UFC is likely WAY more interested in showcasing him in stand and bang fights because they're almost guaranteed a big draw.

EDIT:
    Shit, not even 'likely'. I'd bet money that's how thy'll use him. notice he's already feeling slighted and passed up?

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

--- Post Added -- Mar 31, 2019, ---
    Just realized they mentioned that Big Dan had a quadruple bypass in February. Damn! No wonder why he slimmed down.

6. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

Edson Barboza welcomes newborn daughter Victoria hours after KO loss at UFC Philadelphia

--- Post Added -- Apr 1, 2019, ---
    Paul Felder, Karyn Bryant defend Justin Gaethje interview after UFC Philadelphia

Justin Gaethje criticizes UFC’s ‘ridiculous’ move of ranking Donald Cerrone above him

7. S=E

8. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Good night of fights but...

how the fuck does Ross Pearson still have a job?

9. S=E

I think because he was always competitive even in his losses. He hasn't been blown out like that I think ever. He's been finished but later in the fights he was competitive in. He's from the UK and I would believe has a decent following outside the states. This was his first fight in the US in over 3 years.

But after this, I could see him being cut. He wasn't competitive at all and is 2-7 in his last 9.

10. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Yea I looked back at his record, it sucks but it's not dominated with KO losses like I thought it was. For some reason, and maybe it's because I don't watch the prelims like I used to so I'm not catching all of his fights, but I thought he was getting KTFO every time.

11. S=E

--- Post Added -- Apr 1, 2019, ---

12. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Kano likes this.
  13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

^^^ makes no sense for Gaethje.

S=E, Sydman and Kevo like this.
  14. Sydman

Sydman Active Member

I don’t know much about twitter but did the UFCs official twitter page @ the wrong account? I’ve seen some weird twitter handles but is Gaethjes handle spelled Gaethhe? Or did they just fuck up?

15. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

Justin vs. the winner of Cerrone/Iaquinta is the fight to make.

S=E, Kano, Dimson and 1 other person like this.
  16. S=E

UFC on ESPN: Gaethje vs. Barboza averages 828,000 viewers, peaks at 1.4 million

17. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

No surprises here.