UFC champ Tyron Woodley needs opponent for upcoming title defense, calls out many fighters

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, May 3, 2017.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

UFC champ Tyron Woodley needs opponent for upcoming title defense, calls out many fighters

Poindexter likes this.
  2. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

And none of those are ranked in the top 5 of his division.

Can ALL champions, every single one of them that currently aren't fighting the top 5 of their division please start doing so? And for those champions cleaning out divisions, and fighting the appropriate contenders, thank you.

3. Cat--Smasher

Hard to call out a top 5 guy in his division when 3 of them are booked for fights, 1 of them just lost two title shots against Woodley and 1 is basically retired.

MacEwen likes this.
  4. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

Masvidal is a tough opponent to face but I hope (and Woodley should hope for this as well since he's training) Maia can make quick enough work of Jorge and set up a fight for the title relatively soon.

5. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

Here are the rankings via UFC:

Champion : Tyron Woodley
    1 Stephen Thompson

2 Robbie Lawler

3 Demian Maia

4 Carlos Condit

5 Jorge Masvidal

6 Neil Magny

7 Dong Hyun Kim

8 Donald Cerrone

9 Gunnar Nelson

10 Kamaru Usman

11 Tarec Saffiedine

12 Ryan LaFlare

13 Santiago Ponzinibbio

14 Matt Brown

15 Leon Edwards
    *NR

-Thompson: isn't sniffing another title shot unless Woodley loses the title and or Thompson cleans up the remaining contenders
    -Lawler: is fighting Cerrone, which doesn't do much for Lawler outside of a payday. Great fight for the fans though
    -Maia: I wish they'd just give Maia a shot and make Masvidal vs someone else as a contenders match. Put it on the same card so we have a clear line of who will get the next fight.
    -Condit: He was just washed by Maia and has talked about retiring so he's up in the air. If he is willing to take a fight then him vs Thompson wouldn't be that far fetched
    -Masvidal: Masvidal should be fighting someone like a Lawler or Condit or even Thompson at this point to certify a new contender to the title
    Magny: Magny could be matched up with Condit or Thompson or even Masvidal

That's about everyone that could potentially be considered a title contender at this point. WW is sort of in a log jam as outside of Masvidal and Maia there aren't any 'clear' contenders but there is time to make them.

Nebraska, Poindexter, Trodden and 2 others like this.
  6. Sakara=Excitement

And?

The UFC can book whatever they want. A fight that hasn't happened doesn't mean anything. Woodley should've had a clear contender (which he has) immediately following the second Wonderboy fight.

Maia does not need to fight Masvidal. He's the number 1 contender. So bookings mean nothing when there are clear contenders who have been waiting for title shots.

7. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

“There’s a lot of fighters who say, ‘I’ll fight anybody, anytime, anywhere,’ but they really don’t mean that,” - Guy who sat out a year and a half waiting for his title.

If Tyron really wants a July title fight he shouldn't be calling out guys that are: booked to fight each other, trying to fight Mayweather, haven't fought since January 2015.

Malevolence, kc56 and Cat--Smasher like this.
  8. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

Yeah I really wish they had booked Maia/Woodley
    Masvidal/Lawler
    Cerrone/Thompson

9. Cat--Smasher

Gottcha.

Fight contracts don't mean shit.

Champs should be calling out the #1 contender, even if that fighter is already booked for a fight.
    --- Post Added -- May 3, 2017, ---
    This would have been smart.

Although, Maia vs Masvidal should be a pretty sick fight. As should Cerrone vs Lawler.

Fuck the idea of Woodley fighting another champ. Too soon for Woodley to be asking for that shit.

disposableassassin likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon

The article is a little misleading. I listened to the podcast yesterday, and it started with Din Thomas stating that Woodley actually already has an opponent. I guess Din's one of Woodley's coaches.

After speculating who it could be (Lawler & Cerrone mostly considered out since they were announce to fight), they got Woodley on the phone, where he (obviously) wouldn't answer who his opponent is, and then gave the statement in the article.

He also said it's not Thompson, and that he needs to get another win streak before yet another rematch. Essentially saying that he's sick of fighting him. He said Maia was stupid for agreeing to fight Masvidal before the Woodley/Wonderboy 2 fight even happened, saying he blew his chance for an immediate title shot. So it looks like he's out as well.

11. Sakara=Excitement

They don't. The UFC pulls fighters all the time and changes fights left and right. If Woolley (or any champ wants to fight the best) then call them out. He could've had Maia. But he doesn't want Maia. He wants an easy payday. That isn't championship level material. As the champion you become the draw and anyone you fight will bring you money.

Leading up to Wonderboy II, he could've said I want Maia if I defend my title. As soon as the fight was up, he should've called Maia out. He didn't. He still won't. He's calling for any fighter not even in the top 10 of his own division.

I'm all for fighters making money. But you can't skip the "becoming the money fight yourself" and expect to get big money fights.

Woodley's issue was he thought he was a big deal before the public thought he was a big deal as champion.

12. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

Fight contracts mean something to the UFC once they have begun marketing the fight and selling tickets to a card.

13. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

can we see Woodley rematch Kim

Id love to see Wood vs Dong again

14. JonesMadeDCcry

JonesMadeDCcry SMOKE BOMB!

No homo

Trodden likes this.
  15. Cat--Smasher

I thought you were more knowledgeable of contract law.
    --- Post Added -- May 3, 2017, ---
    Morning Report: Tyron Woodley says it was ‘stupid’ of Demian Maia to accept fight with Jorge Masvidal

16. Sakara=Excitement

So what you're attempting to say (and failing at) is that the UFC has never taken fighter A out of a fight with fighter B and inserted in to a fight with fighter C?

17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Definitely not a pre-requisite anymore. Hell you don't even need to be an active fighter to get a title shot these days.

18. Cat--Smasher

Nope, that's not what I was attempting to say.

I was just pointing out that maybe you don't know as much about contract law as you claim you do. You brashly stated UFC fight contracts mean shit all when in reality, you have never seen or read one.

Back on topic. Tyrone did call for a fight with Maia, which Maia agreed to. The UFC instead booked Maia to fight Masvidal. It seems to me it wouldn't make good business sense for Woodley to be focusing his attention on a fighter who is booked and the UFC didn't set him up with.

19. Sakara=Excitement

Do Canadians not understand hyperbole?

Now I have to see or read UFC contracts to have an opinion on such? Okay Cat.

You seem to have many opinons without much knowledge since you aren't in the inner workings of anything going on with the UFC. I would venture to say none of us do. So no opinions on anything.

Actually just shut the board down. No opinions. Cat thinks you need actual intimate knowledge of anything to have formed an opinion.

And I know plenty about real estate contractual laws here in the state of Texas. Thanks for asking. If you can point where I ever claimed to be an expert on MMA fighters contracts let me know.

20. Cat--Smasher

[​IMG]