UFC 239: Jones vs Santos Results and [Post Fight] Discussion

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by S=E, Jul 5, 2019.

1. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

[​IMG]

UFC 239: JONES VS. SANTOS
    JULY 6, 2019 T-MOBILE ARENA, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES UFC FIGHT PASS

MAIN CARD, PPV MAIN CARD 10:00 PM EST

205 lbs.: UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones (205) vs. Thiago Santos (204.5)
    135 lbs.: UFC Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes (135) vs. Holly Holm (133.5)
    170 lbs.: Ben Askren (171) vs. Jorge Masvidal (170.5)
    205 lbs.: Jan Blachowicz (205.5) vs. Luke Rockhold (204.5)
    170 lbs.: Michael Chiesa (170.5) vs. Diego Sanchez (169)

UNDERCARD, EARLY PRELIMS 6:15 PM EST, ESPN PRELIMS 8:00 PM EST

145 lbs.: Arnold Allen (145.5) vs. Gilbert Melendez (145.5)
    135 lbs.: Marlon Vera (136) vs. Nohelin Hernandez (136)
    115 lbs.: Claudia Gadelha () vs. Randa Markos (116)
    135 lbs.: Alejandro Perez (135.5) vs. Song Yadong (135.5)
    185 lbs.: Jack Marshman (185) vs. Edmen Shahbazyan (185)
    170 lbs.: Ismail Naurdiev (171) vs. Chance Rencountre (170.5)
    135 lbs.: Julia Avila (135) vs. Pannie Kianzad (135)

The UFC 239 official weigh-ins will be at 12 p.m. ET, and the UFC 239 ceremonial weigh-ins will be at 7 p.m. ET.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Cat--Smasher and Poindexter like this.
  2. S=E

3. S=E

--- Post Added -- Jul 5, 2019, ---

4. S=E

5. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

Over the years I've learned I don't watch Luke's interviews because mostly he turns them into a 'look at me' and 'how great am i' thing. he doesn't really say anything other than things like 'he's tough' but no specifics really.

it's comical but his interviews about opponents could almost be cut and paste into a group of about 3 that would cover anyone. A stand up guy, a wrestler and a jits fighter. maybe 4 to cover a guy that's good in two places.

disposableassassin likes this.
  6. S=E

7. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

I am so ready for this shit tomorrow night. This event has “it.” Maybe because there’s so very much on the line to lose for many of the fighters. I am pumped for this one!! Jones could get knocked out. That alone always makes an event monumental. It will be a real shame to see Thiago Santos’ killing spree be put to an end. Askren could get knocked out. Masvidal could get completely owned in a fight I feel like he’s never hated the thought of losing more than any other fight in his life. I expect the very best and game Masvidal ever.

Hell, Holm could very well pull off another upset of the ages in WMMA. Or we will see Nunes take the last notable head and reach singularity. We have Diego Sanchez in tip top maniacal form chasing the dragon against an always game Chiesa. We have Rockhold’s condescending ass back at it thinking way past Jan. The possibility of Rockhold getting knocked out or beaten up is always great material for a card!

Fucking Gil Melendez is fighting! Shit. Every face off on the card at the media day alone looked like everyone’s bringing the heat.

This shit is gonna be goooood!!!

Askren/Masvidal, however, has the most intensity between the 2 fighters in my opinion by a long shot. It’s not even close.

Edit:

Askren is one sly son of a bitch. The way he takes all his subtle digs at his opponents while knowing they can’t really do anything to him til fight night is fun to watch. It works so well with Askren cause of his personality and because he is very capable of manhandling any of his peers. It’s kind of like watching a hunter poke and prod at his prey, testing their self control. He just walks up all flippy floppy with his curly haired head cocked back like “hey, what’s the problem here, what’s your problem, tough guy?” As if on the outside he’s trying to make it all seem like nothing, but between him and his opponent, they both know what he’s doing. It’s a very certain kind of mental provocation coming from him that is high level trolling.

It’s especially interesting because Askren wants nothing more than to not just dominate his opponent but to put their asses to utter shame. If he can’t finish them, he wants them to hate how he wrestled them to death. It’s that wrestler mentality of stripping your opponent of his will down to the bone and then subtly (or not) rubbing salt in the wound. That is Ben Askren. He is very good at playing head games and taking those nonchalant digs while we all know what he really wants to do in there.

Masvidal is going to give every bit of his might to put a hole through Askren’s head. Askren is so good at making it personal. With Askren/Masvidal, I feel like I’m watching some fight in high school where these 2 completely opposite kinds of dudes have hated each other and have talked a ton of shit to each other in the halls and locker rooms.

Kano and Poindexter like this.
  8. S=E

9. m1ckey kn0x

Holly looks a little drawn out there. I hope she comes in at her very best. I don’t want to watch Holly get knocked out!

2 more hours til final staredowns! I hope some of them get crazy. SELL SELL SELL, motherfuckers!

10. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I do.:)

11. m1ckey kn0x

Alejandro Perez. THAT guy, whether he knows it or not, really fucks with his opponents. Very awkward dude. His last fight face offs and this media day face off has his opponents like wtf is up with this dude? Lulls his opponents into being friendly with his awkwardness. Very funny.

12. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

Oh, I’ll watch that.

13. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Rpckhold looking beefy. Hope his chin holds up better without the difficult weight cut.

Hope Askren owns the cage as well as as he owns the space between Masvidal's ears.

14. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Survival Pool Champion Site Donor

I am hoping Rockhold goes on a tear. He is an interesting matchup with Jones.

Kevo likes this.
  15. thumper

if rockhold were to fight the juice, and BEAT him? i'm pretty sure the MMA world would stop and do a collective jaw drop

There are many people I'd love to see beat Jones. i cannot stand luke "I love me" rockhold, but I will root so fucking hard for him on this fight it's not even funny.

I say he'd have less than a snowball's chance in hell in that fight, but i would SO love to see Jones lose to that.

Problem is, with Jones' juicy career, and with his clear free pass to keep going, I don't see how it's going to happen. When the org is actively trying to manipulate the fucking commission to overturn a loss that is universally understood and deserved, you have to really wonder just how far they'll go to back who is probably the worst ambassador for the sport we've ever seen.

let;'s not forget here. This man has been stripped of more belts than anyone in the history of the sport.

Kano, Poindexter, Noise and 1 other person like this.
  16. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Survival Pool Champion Site Donor

Rockholds glaring weakness is his boxing defense and Jones biggest weakness is his boxing. He has quicker, more powerful, harder kicks than Jones but has reach disadvantage there. He has the best jits of anyone Jones has faced. If his chin and stamina is better at 205 he has more than a snowball's chance.

NotSoDarkAngel and Kano like this.
  17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

--- Post Added -- Jul 5, 2019, ---

18. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Well-Known Member

Gotta love Diego lol he's fucking nuts

Dimson and Cat--Smasher like this.
  19. thumper

I really think Holy can take this fight. I know Amanda is a gorilla, but it was surprised to see how much bigger holy is than her. For some reason I expected Holly to be smaller.

it's too bad HOlly doesn't have a pretty face. that body is just fucking sexy as all get out.

20. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

Do I need ESPN+ to order this? Or is that just for the prelims? Or how does it work exactly?