1. Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time. "UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

"UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Splog, May 12, 2018.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

We’re talking about unnecessary brain trauma. People admit defeat within the game in every sport. It’s no different than pulling your starters in football or basketball. When you the result is a foregone conclusion there is no longer a reason to put it on the line and risk further damage or injury. Live to fight another day.

She lost, she knew it, and her corner shouldn’t have argued with her because now it puts her in the position of looking like a quitter no matter what, and to add insult to injury she now has to go around giving her trainers credit for being irresponsible in order to salvage her reputation as a fighter — see: Sylvia, Schaub, etc.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  2. Nebraska

Ok, timeout. Just because I don’t walk into a cage and go mano-a-mano doesn’t mean I haven’t made sacrifices in order to achieve my goals.

Submission is part of the sport. Whether it happens while you’re on the stool, under fire turtling up, or being choked unconscious there is no shame in it. That’s why it exists as a means to an end within the rules.

Dimson, thumper, Malevolence and 3 others like this.
  3. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

That happened in Round 1, if wanna get technical about it. And by Round 4 she wasn't going to get anymore concussed than the knee she had taken to the temple.
    Oh its very different. There's no back up to put in to FINISH the contest in a fight.
    I've never once seen an NBA, MLB, NFL, NFL, NASCAR, MLS, etc contest ended prematurely because the score was lopsided and the other team of "professionals" had no chance of winning.
    That's the bullshit part of this whole thing.
    1) She had the unfortunate experience of having the cameras catch the interaction, and then having the announce crew beat the horse until it was dead. No one complained when GSp complained that he tore his groin. In fact we made jokes about his corner sending him back out tell him to "hit him with it". So why is Rocky's corner different here?
    2) Nothing Tim Sylvia, Brendan Schaub, Ariel Helwani, Jimmy Smith, or anyone not having been in the gym with Rocky over the last 8 weeks can say to shed any light on the subject.
    Never said you had to get in a cage to understand. But let's use you. If you're given a chance to call games for ABC Sports or cover the Olympics for NBC are you gonna get 80% of the way through your audition/tryout piece, decide its not going the way you hoped, and just walk out? Or have your mom stop you and tell them sorry, but you just weren't doing your best?
    You can bring up the physical risks and all that shit, but that stuff is already in the equation every time they step into the gym, cage, put on gloves, a gi, whatever. The chance of injury is inherint in the sport, so that goes out the window when making the point that she should have been protected by her corner here.
    Submission is a path to victory. Submit your opponent. Not submit to yourself; submit to your fears; submit to your frustration. That's not a path to victory. That's a path failure. And frankly its the only path to failure when it comes to this sport.

4. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

There are a lot of people who have issue with what happened. Raquel is going to be loyal to her corner. Her corner will not waiver and put Rocky in a bad position by doing so. Closing ranks is the natural thing to do. But Rocky was getting blown out, down mightily in the score cards, had already sustained big amounts of damage to her face and leg and based on the first 4 rounds had ZERO chance to win that fight outside of a freak injury TKO win.

thumper, Malevolence and Afro like this.
  5. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

if Rocky had a chance to win, Id agree letting her continue would be no big deal

but she had zero chance of doing anything in the 5th but take more damage

thumper and Malevolence like this.
  6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Some want to be astronomers, some want to be astronauts.

I don't think either opinion on Rocky and her corner are wrong. Two different mindsets.

I agree with Sandy on this one.

ILJO and Miz like this.
  7. Trodden

8. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Survival Pool Champion

UFC 224 The Lowest Selling PPV In The Last 10 Years?

Reports coming in that UFC 224 is going to be the lowest selling PPV for the ufc in the past 10 years. Amanda Nunes previous fight at ufc 215 sold a speculated 100,000 buys and our sources are saying Ufc 224 is going to fall well below that mark with estimates near the 85k mark. With ESPN+ now paying 10 million per fight event, expect the UFC to promote similar cards with their new broadcast partners moving forward. For a UFC PPV show to generate $10 million, it has to be about 285,000 buys. But I guess it’s to be expected when they promote 225 before 224 was even over with.-TO

http://terezowens.com/ufc-224-was-giving-away-tickets-to-fill-seats/

9. Trodden

10. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

8F90D833-2FF3-4412-BE0F-C3103618298F.gif

Trodden likes this.
  11. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I can't believe anyone would argue differently.

12. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I think I would’ve stopped it but I see Sandy’s argument. Heat of the battle type shit. I admittedly haven’t seen the fight. No shame in saying you’ve had enough. Even that Asian dude in Bloodsport said ma te or whatnot.

13. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Who the fuck are you to judge anyone else here? Do you fight MMA?
    --- Post Added -- May 16, 2018, ---
    You're an idiot then.

14. Trodden

yeah, I gotta agree with Big John

Rocky said she had nothing left, and had no chance to win

her corner only put her in harms way for no chance at a gain

15. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

Vitor Belfort confirms pre-UFC 224 knee injury; CABMMA explains why he still fought

16. Nebraska

He looked like his normal washed up self to me. Didn’t even notice the injury.

17. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

dude is 1-4 in the last 2 years. he just needs to stay gone.

and that post doesn't look anything like someone b eing 'honest' it looks like someone making an excuse.

Vitor was a bad mofo and I grew up watching him (well my MMA fan side 'grew up') watching him whip ass.

but that time has past. just get out while you can still talk. Jesus christ he's been a pro fighter for 22 years. no wonder he's losing. 41 fights is a lot when you're fighting nothing but killers.
    --- Post Added -- May 18, 2018, ---
    Correction, he's 1-3-1 but Kelvin beat him, he just tested positive for pot. b ut vitor lost.. decisively

18. strife

strife I

Speaking from experience as someone who has, which was cut hilariously short, no you don't (yes they even stretchered me out). My body has never been the same and it is a constant reminder of my failure when I put everything I had in something. I would have rather had the smarts to be able to recognize when tapping was needed, my coach even yelled out for me to tap but it happened too soon. Then I would have at least had a chance to come back next month and try again.

My experience pales in comparison but I can see your argument. However, like you also mentioned this could potential break Pennington's spirit for the remainder of her career. I bet Big Nog would like to have his arm back, too. Sometimes it's best to know you're beaten and to submit. She had a 0% chance of continuing and going on to win that fight, even if it is MMA.
    --- Post Added -- May 18, 2018, ---
    The guy couldn't just retire with dignity, had to bring out the Tito talk.

ILJO, Noise, jesusatemyhotdog and 2 others like this.
  19. Palma

Palma I am chaos

He has no basis to go by, and is one of the biggest keyboard warriors here. He's being an illogical hypocrite. If what he was saying is true then no one would ever tap in a title fight.

Meshia Tate is a great example why he is wrong. She let her arm get destroyed over a title fight. Luckily she wasn't out very long, but it could have been perminant nerve damage. Regardless, she got two more chances at the UFC title. Rocky will get another shot if she keeps at it.

Sakara=Excitement, Qball1974 and Afro like this.
  20. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Hahahahaha.
    Palma,
    You keep attacking me personally over my opinions. Say shit about me you don't know to be true or not.
    Who the fuck are you again? What notable thing have you ever done in your life to say fuckall about me?
    To the best of my knowledge the two greatest things you've ever accomplished in life is making a second fourum account (Amlap) and some dumbass story about getting your pants split.

You claim I have no basis for my opinion, yet I've interviewed multiple world champion MMA fighters. Still talking to several on a regular basis. Not to mention my own experiences in different arenas. But I'm illogical and a hypocrite. I would first love to have you find the hypocrisy in my statements in this thread. I would then like to see not try and twist my words. What I've talked about has nothing to do with not tapping out or allowing an opponent to injure another. Its only been about a fighter, and her team, and her mental well being.

A) I never said not tapping is the smart thing. I said quitting would do her more mental harm than staying in there. Submitting to your opponent is part of the sport. Accepting defeat is certainly part of it. Submitting to yourself is not. Rocky would definitely never recover mentally had her corner listened to her and let her quit. None of us are in her brain, but why would she want to quit in that position? Fear? Pain? Exhaustion? Frustration? All of the above? She wasn't "injured". I'm fairly certain she had accepted defeat, but accepting it and quitting before its over are two different things.

B) As for my comments about "settled-for lives" I stand behind that 100%. I bypassed college to play minor league ball in pursuit of my dream of playing baseball professionally. I sacrificed my education and knowingly postponed my adult life. I knew when I signed I wasn't good enough to make it to the MLB level, but I needed to take on the challenge. I could have quit when I got demoted from AA to A. I could have quit when cut the tendons in my hand. I could have submitted to myself and my fears and my pain a thousand times. But instead I kept trying kept sacrificing, kept pushing for my dream. Eventually my dream quit me.
    Then there the MMA site. Sacrificed time, money, time, family, all sorts of stuff to try and chase my next dream of writing about the sport I loved. The goal was to grow the site and do some good, original, and honorable things, get credentialed to UFC events. I think I/we accomplished that. I even submitted articles to ESPN, NBC, SI and other major media outlets trying to get either myself of the site as a whole picked up by one of the major outlets. Finally, almost all of the major outlets had signed on with MMA sites or writers. At the same time my family sacrifices caught up with me and I had to make a choice. Chase the dream that had dwindled because of lost avenues or keep my dream of being a good husband and father alive. I chose the latter.

I've chased my dreams. I've been faced with ways out and didn't take them. I've accomplished my dreams. None may have been singular championships, but that doesn't change the fact that they were dreams. I know how I feel having not seen the MMA site through to being in a major media outlet. Even though I accomplished 80% of my MMA site goals, that last one haunts me and hurts me. I can only imagine what Pennington would feel like if she had been allowed to give up. It would have eaten at her every day for the rest of her career and likely after.

Its real easy to sit there in your chair and think logically about "yeah her corner let her get beat up". But what if she had powered through to see the bell, would there be the uproar? And if she had comeback to beat Nunes those same people would be celebrting her corner not letting her quit. Don't let the outcome of the decision be the determining factor to your opinion. Let the decision be the decision, form an opinion, then the result doesn't matter. If Rocky doesn't get crushed in the fifth, there is no debate. There's maybe some chatter about if them sending her out was the best thing or not. But there wouldn't be people taking such hard lines and getting their panties knotted when someone disagrees with them. And like I said, had she actually submitted or KO's Nunes in that last round, her corner would be heroes for not allowing her to give up on herself.