"UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta" Live Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Splog, Apr 7, 2018.

1. strife

strife I

He expects someone as highly touted as Khabib to be as great a striker as they are a wrestler. I feel that it's unfair, especially when he has not lost a round in the most competitive MMA org ever and at it's peak skill-wise. What if, dare we say, stand-up in the context Rogan expects isn't even needed to compete, and the rounds he stood were fan service for precisely that. He wanted a squash to seem competitive. To probably quote Joe Rogan: If they fought with no rounds, Al Iaquinta would be dead. His coach is absolutely right, too, Khabib is drastically improving his stand-up between fights

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

That's actually a brilliant response that I wish more people associated with the sport, from fighters to announcers to fans, understood.

There's no weakness in admitting another fighter is better than you at something. It is stupid fighting to the strength of your opponent if you can leverage your strength against their weakness.

Khabib is a dominant, Scrappy grappler. That's who he's been and that's what he is. And if he wrangles you for 2 or 3 rounds... you ain't summoning a one hit KO to change that fight. No one has that kind of conditioning. He exhausts his oppoents to nullify their strengths.

He's absolutely beatable, he has flaws like every other mixed martial artist but he's also improving, has great coaching, and has a style of fighting that translates vs. everyone.

I think for a guy like Khabib it's focusing on improving his athleticism. Continue developing his speed because his strength and endurance is at an apex.

NotSoDarkAngel likes this.
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

You would.

4. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

5. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I don't really disagree with any of that. And I'm not trying to defend Joe Rogan or say that that's the way he should commentate, I just can understand how he'd be more intrigued by his observation of potentially exploitable holes in Khabib's game over previously observed (and expected) greatness. I mean, it was a blowout, and perhaps it would be more appropriate to just repeat previously stated praise, but I'm not gonna shit all over the guy for looking toward the future and trying to gain/lend some insight about potentially exploitable holes that he thinks he sees in the current fight instead. Especially since his apology seemed rather sincere and his reasoning/explanation for coming across overly critical was not, well, unreasonable.

6. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

tell me this guy isn't badass lol

7. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

And his explanation was utter horseshit. He was clearly and consistently overreacting to every breath Al took in the cage that night. In a complete wipeout from bell to bell a good commentator would acknowledge the fighter who is pitching a shutout.

8. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Joe is a bias commentator, he likes who he likes and he skews his commentary that way. I actually have little problem with that... what I have a problem with is not owning up to it and saying "yes, I tend to favor certain fighters over others because I am still a fan of the sport, I like and know some fighters personally, and some I dislike for whatever reason."

It's not like anything happening at cage side approaches any modicum of professionalism. It's not like the UFC is even pretending these days. Rogan just needs a group therapy session is all.

Let it go you fag. You're a fag Joe. You like certain fighters just like the rest of us. You're a super fan. I don't care who Jon Jones runs over, how much weed the Diaz brothers smoke, or if Rose ever grows her hair back to stop looking like a Missouri post office sex doll.

I'm a fan of those fighters. And I'll skew my perspective whenever possible to pull for them. Because I too am a fag. You'll feel better if you just admit it Joe Hogan. You're a fag bro, let's be fags together.

9. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

“Missouri post office sex doll” As a Missourian I endorse this. Rose is sexy!

AnchorPunch, Kano and Qball1974 like this.
  10. VimyRidge

VimyRidge Well-Known Member

Given the score cards, was possible for Jedrzejczyk to win 48-47, all three judges gave Jedrzejczk a different round:

Namajunas\Jedrzejczyk Namajunas
    Judge 1 2 3
    N N N
    J N N
    N N J
    N J N
    N N N

I had it 48-47 for Jedrzejczyk.

Hard to know what to take away from Kowalkiewicz's win. I thought Kowalkiewicz would have dominated Herrig a bit more, hard to say if Kowalkiewicz took a step backwards, had a bad performance or if Herrig has improved a lot. Obvious massive mistake by Herrig in the last 30 seconds, she could have won that or got a 10-8 round.
    Also surprised that fight was a split decision, thought it was an obvious 29-28 for Kowalkiewicz.

Khabib- think he knew he was not in trouble at all and just wanted the extra rounds.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

12. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Felice is a good fighter. Hard fought battle. IMO

Malevolence and Beardown98 like this.
  13. thumper

oh come on, you just want to play stink finger with her.

Miz likes this.
  14. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

She has improved a lot over the last couple years.

Malevolence and Miz like this.
  15. thumper

as much as i thoroughly dislike Felice, i admit she has gotten a LOT better in the last few years.