"UFC 223: Khabib vs. Iaquinta" Live Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Splog, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

He could throw Conor that's holding the pallet jack.

disposableassassin and Miz like this.
  2. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

Oh Im sure he'll fight again, and for the UFC, but there will be hoops to jump through

3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

That's why lawyers make so much money.

Trodden likes this.
  4. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I think it was afro or noise complaining about Joe's bias calling for Khabib/Iaquinta

Now I realize joe sometimes watches replays, gets a call in his ear, or gets distracted, but he was pretty blatantly leaning on Al in this fight. There are also times in this broadcast where Jimmy will be talking and Joe clearly stays quiet to let him finish.

joe usually doesn't have a vocal 3rd guy in the booth. but he did seem overly critical of khabib and generous on Al

Ninjastix, Malevolence and Nebraska like this.
  5. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Embarrassing. You would have thought Khabib was in there with Prime Tyson the way he was reacting to everything Iaquinta threw. Khabib dominated every area of the fight — the wrestling, the grappling, the boxing, the striking, the footwork, the defense, the pace, the distance. Name it. It was a complete wipeout. As dominant of a five-round performance as you will ever see.

6. Noise

Noise Ruido

Mind you - that's a fighter that absolutely could have taken that fight to the ground to avoid the fire (ala St. Pierre) but chose to keep the fight in the position most would have thought was the bigger risk for him against Iaquinta.

And dominated.

Fuck Joe Rogan for all that.

disposableassassin and Nebraska like this.
  7. thumper

i just watched the khabib/iaquinta fight again now that i'm awake. what the fuck? they're talking about how bad khabib is doing pumping up Al, khabib hit 187 strikes and 9 take downs vs al's 25 strikes and 0 takedowns

that was absolute domination from bell to bell, and the scores were 50-44 or something from 2 of the judges? probably the biggest disparity of any championship fight i can remember

this wan't close at all.
    --- Post Added -- Apr 9, 2018, ---
    i also couldn't believe Joanna crying thinking she won her belt back, jumping on top of the cage wiping her eyes.

She said in the presser when she heard the scores she thought she won even easier, that's bullshit, she knew as soon as they read those scores off she'd lost.

and she spent 2 minutes making excuses about how she won the fight, then turned around and said she wasn't going to complain.

blech. everyone i wanted to win, did and did so really nicely. Rose's fight was closer than I'd like, but she definitely proved that was not a fluke.

disposableassassin and Qball1974 like this.
  8. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I understand that as a sports broadcaster, the toughest job they have is selling a blowout to the people watching. However, I was irate listening to their analysis of the fight and the praise that they were heaping on Al.

Yeah dude was game to not die in the cage, and he did a very solid job of fighting off some sub attempts in the first two rounds. But rounds 3, 4, & 5 Al had every opportunity to do something, anything, anything at all. Instead he got his head snapped back about 100 times with jabs.

I swear Joe Rogan went into orgasmic "Oh OHHHH!" every time Al connected on anything.

UFC had a golden opportunity to loft Khabib with that broadcast. The commentary in that fight could have made Knobby a superstar. In much a similar way they did Anderson back in the day, or Conor, or have done for dozens of other fighters. They've praised everything they've ever done. Makes everything do out to be perfection. Even their farts smell like bacon. But they didn't do that. They chose instead to try and make a mockery of a main event somewhat palatable.

I don't think it matters how much respect you have for a guy for stepping up. If he's outmanned and outclassed, you fucking say it. They had no problem in the Zabit fight talking about that dude like he was 3 days away from being hung on a cross and walking on water. How did his fight go? And he was an even bigger betting favorite than Khabib. But Joe and Jimmy seemed like they were girl fighting over who was gonna get to suck him off after the fight. Great fight. But you you spent 15 minutes talking about the complete and utter dominance of a guy that was in a war, and 25 minutes talking about a guy that was on his way to one of the most lopsided victories in MMA like he was just barely doing just enough to win these rounds and holdoff a killer in Iaquinta.

Its garbage like the commentary in that last fight that makes me watch the fight with the sound off the first time through.

9. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

10. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

11. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I didn’t think Joe was that bad. Would have to rewatch.

Trodden likes this.
  12. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Mmm....bacon farts.

disposableassassin and Trodden like this.
  13. Nebraska

In what way did Iaquinta expose Khabib’s flaws? And for fuck’s sake, Khabib had the same amount of notice as Al, and both were fully prepared to fight on Saturday. This wasn’t DC-Anderson or Conor-Nate. Both guys had full fight camps and Khabib still torched him. What would have been different if Al had trained his entire camp to fight Khabib? Nothing. Khabib stood right in front of him for three rounds and still beat his ass.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    SandyWH and thumper like this.
  14. thumper

I thought Khabib explained it pretty well. It looked to me like he figured after the 2nd round he had no need to grapple with him and decided to strike with him.

I also agree he had his head straight up, but i also thought he was trying to bait Al into hitting him.

whatever.

joe used to be a lot less biased. I mean every commentator is biassed to a point, but Joe seems to have gotten a lot worse recently. (several years)

NotSoDarkAngel likes this.
  15. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

If Al had posed any danger, or if he had cracked Knobby with a decent punch, you bet your lilly white ass he would have taken the fight back to the ground and squashed the poor kid for the final 15 minutes.
    Nothing negative was exposed. Khabib has never gone in chin down and hands up. So its not like that was a new tactic. He didn't show any electric takedown skills that future opponents have to prepare for. He used a fucking ankle pick. And shoot from a mile out every time. Almost as purposefully not give any opponents anything. If he did anything worthy of conern it was that he:
    A) showed mercy for a remarkably outclassed opponent and allowed himself to deviate from the gameplan in order to prove something to someone
    B) showed future opponents that he has a very good jab. Its not powerful, but he's able to throw it and keep his opponents at a distance. He also showed that he's not afraid to throw that jab as a counterstrike. That was new for him.

Laughable that anyone takes anything that happened in that 25 minutes and bases Knobby's chances against a future opponent.
    That's like using Anderson's fights against Maia and Leites as proof that Anderson doesn't know how to finish grapplers.

16. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

[​IMG]

disposableassassin and Nebraska like this.
  18. Nebraska

Al Iasquinta.

19. Noise

Noise Ruido

The work of an "amateur".

Seriously: fuck Joe Rogan and his FLAGRANTLY forced bro-code narrative BULLSHIT.

disposableassassin likes this.
  20. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I, for one, accept Joe Rogan's apology.

I can understand where he's coming from.