1. Hello All, We need to upgrade the forum soon. Thumper has been diligently making all the changes necessary and developing the themes available. Please go to this thread, test it, and comment on what it is you like, don't like, etc. You can change the themes on the bottom left of the page. Thank you. PD
    Dismiss Notice

UFC 205 - Live Results and Discussion (Weigh-ins included)

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Sakara=Excitement, Nov 11, 2016.

1. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

2. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

What does this have to do with Ferguson?

3. S=E

Everyone kept saying how the fight with Eddie was going to go and was so extremely wrong it was hysterical. I even picked Eddie on the pick ems. And now the next fighter is going to do all these things to Conor. It's been like that since what? Mendes? He just keeps proving people wrong.

4. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

I have no doubt Conor would land good/clean shots on him. I do doubt that he'd be able to finish him though. It's possible, but I don't know how likely it is given how tough and durable Tony is. He's a baaad mofo.

Imagine how much more successful Nate could/would have been against Conor if he had more finishing power, good wrestling (/better athleticism in general), and was less predictable/more diverse in attack. That is essentially what Tony brings to the table in a Conor match up. He may not be as refined of a boxer as Nate is, but he makes up for it in other ways.

Afro likes this.
  5. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Well-Known Member

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. No matter who has the belt, its Tony's for the taking.

6. S=E

Eddie had that tough and durable box checked as well.

Noise likes this.
  7. Noise

Noise Ruido

(And something called Vannata was able to touch him. )

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  8. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

He's got a lot of heart, but his chin has been suspect/questionable for some time now. Tony is not so easily hurt, which is more what I was speaking to.

Beardown98 likes this.
  9. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Tough yes but durability has always been in question, and as I said before the Conor fight he leaves his head open and over extends on strikes

Beardown98 likes this.
  10. Beardown98

Beardown98 Well-Known Member

I agree that if a fight between McGregor and Tony is made, Tony's style, Size, and length will give McGregor could give fits similar to Diaz. I am done thinking I know how a McGregor fight is going to go before it happens I just want to see the fight that will be the most exciting considering I won't get to see the fight that makes the most sense at 145.

If I got to make the next fight that's the next fight i really want to see but let's be honest that fight probably won't happen it will be Aldo, Woodley, or Diaz up next. Money rules and those fights will sell Aldo being the lesser of the three for buy rates.

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

UFC 205 leaves social media impression three times larger than Super Bowl 50

12. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

^

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that the UFC threw everything it had into that event. Of course it's impressive to have more "social media impressions" than the Super Bowl (not that I have much faith that their numbers are accurate/honest), but when it's their absolute best effort, with circumstance being no small factor (i.e. historical first New York card + an unprecedented star with a chance to make history), I don't really see it as the tip of the iceberg. I see it more as something they won't be able to top for some time.

That's why it was so big. Context.

The Super Bowl is big every time. No matter which dumbass team makes it, or which dumbass city they "play for." Always big.

13. Poindexter

The numbers aren't measured by the UFC itself, are they?

14. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

I don't know. Good point though. Either way, I doubt the accuracy.

15. Poindexter

The social media sites usual provide their numbers publicly, so I don't see any reason to doubt it.

16. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

Because what are the parameters? Maybe I'm not understanding what "impressions" are, but how could they possibly know every time someone was tweeting (and whatever the equivalent is for other social media) about one of those two things. They probably just do a blanket search for keywords and hashtags and shit, which I'm sure will give you a good idea, but like I said, I don't know how accurately those numbers represent people's use of social media as related to those 2 events.
    --- Post Added -- Nov 19, 2016, ---
    Also, the build up to UFC 205 was like 3-4 months, right? Whereas people don't really get crazy about the Super Bowl until the 2 teams are determined, right? So that's a much shorter period of time, right? I don't watch football so I don't really know I'm talking about. It's just something that just occurred to me.

17. Poindexter

That would definitely have to be explained to determine the significance.

18. ILJO

ILJO Member Site Donor

My point was that it seems more like a talking point than a legit statistic, and that I would take the comparison and implication with a grain of salt.

19. Poindexter

I think it is legit, but you have to define the parameters like you suggested.

20. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Someone owes me an AV..or a sig...can't remember which, for the MJ/Khabib fight. Where you at?