UFC 114 made UFC history?

Discussion in 'MMA University' started by strife, May 30, 2010.

1. strife

strife I

I haven't tried to research this, and because of this it might be something fairly obvious....but--was UFC 114's main event the first main event with two black fighters in it? I can't remember a main event with two black fighters against each other before.

2. groundgame

groundgame New Member

You are correct it is the first one.

3. Notrightn0w

Notrightn0w Smells like a whorehouse

The last truly prominent bout between two black fighters in MMA was Rampage vs Randleman.

You should hear Antonio McKee rant on how the UFC is racist. It's priceless.

4. neo

neo Misses Karo

I bet his rants are more exciting than his fights

5. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I'm I crazy for agreeing with McKee on some of his points about the racism in UFC?

6. neo

neo Misses Karo

Towards black fighters? I see no reason to think that

Japanese or Korean fighters a case can be made. lol @ Lorenzo standing up to celebrate when Leben beat Akiyama. Gary Shaw Jr all over again

7. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

i was rooting for Akiyama going into the fight and i really wanted him to win, but the way that fight played out and the way leben slapped on that sub, i jumped up and cheered too. of course, i'm not part owner of the UFC(yet), but i can imagine Lorenzo getting excited for sure. the Jarod Shaw comparison isn't there imo. Shaw was screaming at the ref because his cash cow was about to take a nap. Lorenzo was excited about an awesome finish to an awesome fight.

8. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

no, I mean between all non-white fighters.

It's painfully obvious that there is a bias against asian fighters, but I see it with the black and brazilian fighters as well.

Point that hits close to home:
    Harris was one of only a handful of fighters to not even be offered a fight in the UFC.
    Somehow Tyron Woodley, who scored in the top 3 of all the cycles of the tryouts for TUF 9, didn't make the house.
    Melvin Guillard continues to be brought back to the organization despite having record only rivaled by KrazyHorse.
    Bobby Southworth has been given a second look.
    Where is Phil Davis? Haven't heard much from him since his utterance of a racist sport.

Why isn't Antonio McKee in the UFC, he's a damn good fighter, and better than 3/4 of the guys at the bottom of the pile in the WW division.

Why do black fighters often debut against other black fighters?

And that's just the black guys.

9. neo

neo Misses Karo

Antonio McKee isn't in the UFC because he is a LnP artist who never finishes fights

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I think it's totally un-profesional for the president to stand up and cheer when one of his fighter's loses. Not to mention Rogan, who barely acknowledged when Akiyama got mount, had a fit on the mic when Leben slapped on the triangle and was pretty obviously cheering for Leben all fight.

I don't see how that is any more professional than what the K-1 announcers do to Overeem.

10. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

i don't think its so much cheering Akiyama losing as it is Leben winning. it was an exciting fight with an exciting finish

11. neo

neo Misses Karo

I just think it's fucked up when the most excited fans happen to control the fighter's pay.

12. TheKidInside

TheKidInside New Member

dude...Rogan's always stoned...

13. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Sounds like your just upset because Akiyama lost. He beat himself... get over it.

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Melvin has is 7-4 in the UFC its not like he loses all his fights.

Didn't Phil just have a fight at UFC 112. Yeah that was almost 3 months ago, but isn't uncommon for a fighter to not get a fight for 3-5 months.

Why do white fighters debut against white fighters.

Jon Jones first fight wasn't against a black guy, nor was Phil Davis, or Melvin Guillard, Anthony Johnson, I am sure there are more too.

Yoshida got a favorable fight in his first.

Kim Dong-hyun also got a favorable fight, as did Akiyama, and for his second fight they gave him Leben when Wandy pulled out a guy who just fought less then 2 weeks ago. I would say another favorable match up.

Wasn't Anderson Silva's first fight in the UFC against Leben. Then he fought for the belt.

Nogueira's first fight in the UFC was against a guy he already beat 2 times, then a title fight.

Shogun got what many thought to be a give me fight with Forrest even after that loss he got Coleman then Chuck and a title shot, not 1 but 2 in a row.

What about Gomi his first fight was against Kenny, in a fight that if he won he could have got a title shot.

You talk about all the negative shit but fail to mention any of that stuff. Oh the UFC treats Asian, Brazilian and Black fighters bad or whatever you were trying to point out.

Lyoto- Champion - started slow but once he fought Tito he went to the top pretty fast with the UFC backing him.
    Shogun - Champion
    Anderson - Champion
    Rampage - Champion, wouldn't say the UFC treated him bad until the movie, then still gave him a new contract and a high profile fight.

15. neo

neo Misses Karo

I don't mind that Akiyama lost, I actually think it's pretty cool that a totally average fighter like Chris Leben was able to make almost 100k in two weeks, good for him. I just don't think that it shows integrity for the president of a company to be cheering against one of his employees.

Did you see Roger Goodell wearing a Saints jersey at the Super Bowl?

16. Palma

Palma I am chaos

You can't compare the comissioner to the NFL to the owner of the UFC. Goodell doesn't own the NFL, he just regulates it. If the NSAC wa cheering I'd agree with you, but it's like making a big deal about Al Davis wearing a Raiders jacket. His concern isn't being fair or even professional as much as selling entertainment.

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

he made right around 250 or a little over. He got 100k in bonuses for Fight of the night and KO of the night.

18. neo

neo Misses Karo

Just did a search and it looks like he banked 231k. Not to mention a main/co-main event spot in his next fight, probably. Pretty damn good, over 5 times as much as Carwin lol.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

You also can't compare the owner of a single team to the owner of the UFC. Of course Al Davis cheers for his team, that's more like a manager cheering for their fighter. The brass at the UFC control more about their fighter's than any commision does.... and openly cheering for certain fighters certainly points to bias.

19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

That K-1 shit was beyond the pale. It was hard not to cheer after that Leben-Akiyama fight - everyone won in that one, IMO.