Tyron Woodley: I don’t have to beat Georges St-Pierre to be the greatest welterweight ever

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Sakara=Excitement, Sep 10, 2018.

1. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

You had a whole paragraph about legacy, not sure how I cherry picked a line. I picked a paragraph because I agreed with the rest of your post. Your blanket statement was fighters don’t care about legacy. My question was if that applies to Tyron as he cares a lot about his legacy. You can stop getting offended now instead of crying about being an “actual smart” person. Link to the go fund me?
    --- Post Added -- Sep 27, 2018, ---
    I’m sorry you said something that when applied to a fighter you like doesn’t fit your narrative. I’m not sure how that’s my fault

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

3. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Let's make sure we do this correctly.......

Here is my original statement that you seem to have a problem with:
    To which you decided to go trolling:
    You pulled your quote from an article written over a year and half ago, before he fought Thompson the second time, long before Maia, before Till.
    Not to mention the quote is centered around Woodley's desire to fight the best. The article is centered around Woodley's interest in fighting either GSp or Bisping to advance his legacy.

I pulled this from the same article: ARTICLE LINK
    So let's back this bitch up a moment.....

So I say - "Fighters don't concern themselves with things like legacy. Fighters see a chance to be known as the very best ever, and they take it."
    You say - "So, would you agree Tyron Woodley is not a fighter either?"

Your support for your comment is Woodley saying - "Legacy is really important to me,” Woodley told FOX Sports. “It’s more important than dollars to me. So with that said, I try to find the fights that would solidify my legacy"

But that wasn't the whole quote; was it? No, the whole quote was how he wants his legacy to be being known as the best: "Legacy is really important to me,” Woodley told FOX Sports. “It’s more important than dollars to me. So with that said, I try to find the fights that would solidify my legacy. Beating (Michael) Bisping, winning two belts in two divisions, maybe starting a rivalry and controversy with a fighter and then also knocking off legends like Nick (Diaz) and GSP."

Because in February 2017 Micael Bisping was the UFC MW champion. GSP's ghost still reigned over the WW division because Woodley had only had the one title defense (a draw), and Nick Diaz has never not been in the conversation.

So yeah, I accussed you cherry picking part of what I said. I never expected that you'd be a serial cherry picker. I mean fuck! What else do you only do half way?

I stand by my original comments:
    Fighters don't concern themselves with things like legacy. Fighters see a chance to be known as the very best ever, and they take it.
    Woodley hasn't been ducking anyone to this point. He's fought who they've made him fight. And he wants bigger and better. Meanwhile, theres other guys trying to pick off the handicapped over-the-hill market and calling that legacy.

helipoison likes this.
  4. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

[​IMG]

5. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Flaming Dildo was originally going to be the band name for Maroon 5, fun fact right there.

6. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Fun fact, I was actually looking for Till’s quote about legacy. because I consider him a “fighter” but found Tyron’s as well
    Yes because he’s concerned with his legacy. We established this already

But again, his legacy is important to him. He wants to be known as the best

Okay..

Woodley wants his legacy to be he was the best. That’s being concerned with your legacy. Regardless of what you view as a difference in what GSP and Woodley both want their legacy to be, they are both concerned with it. I’m not disagreeing with anything regarding GSP making BS moves with who he fights and doesn’t fight now. I found your comment about fighters not being concerned with legacy curious, and wanted to know if it that also applies to Woodley.

So unless I’m mistaken, you still believe fighters don’t concern themselves with legacy. Except Tyron concerns himself with his legacy. But that’s different.

7. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

You are that dense aren't you.

I wish they had a "say it in crayon" font I could write this in.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this to you........

Every fighter wants to be the best ever. Every fighter would like to be remembered as the best ever.
    However, former UFC welterweight great Georges St-Pierre, has shown little interest in taking on the toughest fights that make sense for him. However, he seems to be angling for fights with the highest win probability and financial gain. There is plenty of evidence to support this opinion. See his "safety-first" style of fighting once he regained the welterweight championship. See his relinquishing of the MW title, his reluctance to show any interest in a fight with current UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley. St-Pierre's legacy is fairly certain at this point in his career. He is currently considered the greatest welterweight ever. And he seems more than intent on protecting that legacy by carefully picking his opponents and weight classes in order to not sacrifice his current legacy.

Conversely, Current UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley has indicated that he would like his legacy to be the best welterweight ever, or even the best fighter ever. And he is currently campaigning for both. He has defended his belt several times, finishing one fight and nearly finishing two others. He has called out all viable options to fight, wether they were LW, WW or MW. He's said he was open to fights with anyone. Woodley's words and actions show that he willing to fight to obtain a greater legacy.

Anderson didn't let concern for his legacy stop him from taking on Griffin, Bonnar, etc. It definitely didn't play any role in him taking the DC fight. Does Anderson care about his legacy? He absolutely does. Does he let that legacy and risk of hurting it stop him from taking on new challenges?

What about Fedor? Fedor stands to gain absolutely nothing by coming back to MMA in Strokeforce. He could have made more money fight literal tomato cans in Russia and Japan. His legacy was set. He was forever going to be the mythical greatest HW ever. But he chose to not let his legacy be his main concern. The desire to be the best, to challenge himself is what drove him.

What's driving GSp?
    and to answer your question, what's driving Woodley?

8. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

While I appreciate and agree with most of your post, we’re going with circles. GSP is driven by the need to kee his legacy. As the champ, he fought whoever the top contender was and is considered the greatest WW and one of the best pound for pound. He wants to keep that legacy by fighting people who make the most sense financially and he has the best chance to win (Bisping) Tyron wants to be known as the best. He wants to create his legacy as the best by fighting top contenders (and money fights sprinkled in) Both fighters want to be known as the best. Both fighters are concerned with their legacy as being remembered as the best. One has created that legacy. One is creating that legacy. BOTH are concerned with legacy

I think you’re mistaken on my outlook on this. I’ve never doubted GSP is just looking to just protect his legacy. My only point and disagreement was that “fighters” aren’t concerned with their legacy.

9. Sakara=Excitement

Of course now he is. He has NOTHING left to prove. He's the greatest WW of all time and it isn't even close to whoever you want to put 2nd. And he is also WIDELY considered the best MMA fighter of all time. Hell yes he is picking his fights now. Because when he fought before, he fought EVERY single top WW of his time. And beat them. Period.

thumper and Qball1974 like this.
  10. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

nobody is even remotely close to accomplishing what GSP did. it will happen, and Tyron might even be the guy, but he's a looooooong way off.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  11. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

12. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

GSP quit while he was still young. He’s only 10.5 months older than Woodley. His time is still now, but he’d rather only choose fights he can win.

What would your opinion of Aldo have been had he told Conor to eat shit and instead fought Pettis and called it a career?

13. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

A guy with multiple major knee surgeries and time-loss issues (potentially permanent brain trauma) gets out of the game healthy & rich. But we call him a coward because he only dominated his entire division for 10 years.

Combat sports still eats our own too much. Especially from the fans' side.

14. Sakara=Excitement

You keep bringing up this age thing. I don't see the correlation at all.

When Woodley had his first pro fight, GSP had already won the UFC WW Title twice, the Interim WW title and defended it twice. GSP was 20 fights in to his career by then. Age is nothing when comparing the two. By the time Woodley fought his first top 10 opponent, GSP retired.

And what does your Aldo scenario have to do with GSP? GSP didn't turn down a fight with Hendricks. He fought him, beat him and retired. If Aldo wanted to retire and go out on top after his amazing run, that would've been great. Too many fighters don't know when to call it quits. He would've retired, the belt vacated and Conor would've been promoted from Interim champ to champ champ of the champ world.

Qball1974 likes this.
  15. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Because you’re choosing not to see it. GSP is 37 with 28 pro fights, Woodley is 36 with 23 pro fights. People act like Woodley is bullying a senior citizen by asking for this fight.

disposableassassin and Kano like this.
  16. Sakara=Excitement

17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Sounds like a guy that knows a change in weight classes is the only way he can be ranked in the top 6.

But I agree. GSp fighting anyone other than Woodley is bullshit and cowardly and racist.

18. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

There's two things to note for me.

1. If anyone has earned the right to pick their opponent it's GSP. Based on everything he's accomplished and how he helped (considerably) drive the popularity of the sport mainstream.

2. It's still cherry picking your opponent.

1 doesn't change 2. So it just depends, for me, how it's sold. It Team GSP is trying to sell us that he's currently the best he's ever been and can beat anyone.. then you gotta prove it vs. Woodley at 170. If Team GSP wants a "fight that makes sense", meaning money, then they absolutely should be selective. First pick would be a GREALY diminished Anderson and second would be McNuggets.

No one here is allowed to call GSP a coward unless one of y'all a troll account for Anderson or Woodley.

They can say that shit. None of you niggas can.

Poindexter and kc56 like this.
  19. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I'd like to see GSP fight Khabib at 155lbs then retire win or lose.

kc56 likes this.
  20. kc56

kc56 Well-Known Member

I think he was angling for Conor first, Khabib second. Dana doesn’t want to let him do that though.