1. Knowing you might not make it... in that knowledge courage is born. It is not the intensity but the duration of pain that breaks the will to resist. "UFC on ESPN+ 4: Lewis vs Dos Santos" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
    Dismiss Notice

True Detective Season Three Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Poindexter, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I mean it looks good. I'm in, and hopefully more time was taken to consider telling a compelling story.

Palma and Poindexter like this.
  3. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I’m excited

4. Poindexter

Started it today—the first two episodes. Feeling-wise, aesthetically, in terms of production/editing, it seems like it has potential. Story is good. I'm hoping the different timelines, memory-loss, don't turn out to be a gimmick and that alone.

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I'm giving it a bit before I check it out. I'll give it 3 episodes to hook me.

6. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

Bro, they just used Desperados Under the Eaves as the closer for episode 5. You must be stoked right now. Great song, great episode.

That seriously might be the episode that hooked me this season. (I mean, episode 5 is a little late, but still....)
    --- Post Added -- Feb 4, 2019, ---
    Also, I just realized the episode title is "If You Have Ghosts"

(Roky Erickson cover)

--- Post Added -- Feb 4, 2019, ---
    Shout out to music.

7. Poindexter

I'm a fan of music.

ILJO likes this.
  8. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

Been my favorite season so far. Not sure how i feel about the hard tie in to season one. Feels kinda forced

Poindexter likes this.
  9. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

Not sure how I feel about the end. Seemed a bit anticlimactic, but then we were given another chance at closure, but then he forgot?..... Or did he?

He did, right? (or was it just an act?)

Anyway, I guess the emotional aspect of it after his kids picked him up provided a nice little ending. The last two scenes especially were kind of a nice artsy way to go out. But story wise, I feel a bit dissatisfied with the ending I guess, but I enjoyed the ride.

Good season overall, I think. I enjoyed the two detectives, as actors. They had a good dynamic and chemistry and what not.

10. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Didn’t start the season until about a week ago. I read this post when you posted it and didn’t respond just so I wouldn’t accidentally get spoiled. But for a week I was looking forward to hearing that song in the credits and by the time it finally happened I was totally caught by surprise.

Great season. Ali and Dorff played really well off each other. I can understand people thinking the finale was anticlimactic, but I always feel like those same people don’t understand noir. I don’t want to say the ending is usually a letdown in noir(my favorite genre), but it’s usually a simple explanation to what seemed to be impossibly complicated circumstances. There was no big shootout, or high speed chase. But the protagonist solved the case, and that’s enough.

11. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I don't think it was just artsy. He had said quite a few times that the case was the only thing keeping what was left of his mind in tact. Once he finally gave up solving the case and seeking justice his mind completely drifted into his memories. I think the final scene was a combination of what his mind had done his entire life (searching), and it was also the first and last time his life had real purpose and made sense to him.

Noise and Clark Kent like this.
  12. Noise

Noise Ruido

Had a ton of fun watching; I think one of the underlining appreciations I have for this season is them being able to pull off the three separate timelines thing. Tough sell, but I really enjoyed it.