1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Trodden's All Things Metal Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Trodden, Oct 23, 2016.

?

Who is the GOAT Metal band?

1. Metallica

2. Megadeth

3. Slayer

4. Pantera

5. Iron Maiden

6. Lamb of God

7. Other.........please name and post a song if possible

8. Black Sabbath

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Problematique

Problematique Silver for monsters, steel for humans.

You can't go wrong with Lovedrive, fantastic record. I used to love playing "Another Piece of Meat" on guitar, fun song. "Coast to Coast" is another great track and of course "Holiday."

I love "Animal Magnetism", such a great song (& album.)

The thrash band Testament did a cover of Animal Magnetism on their album "Dark Roots of the Earth," they also covered "Powerslave" on there.

Have you listened to the Scorpions album "Sting In The Tail" that came out in 2010 ? One of my favourite Scorpion records.

thumper likes this.
  2. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

nope I stopped listening to all of that about probably 25 years ago. don't know whny either, just did. don't hate it just stopped.

So all my memories are from the late 70s and 80's. well from those albums. it was really the 80's but a lot of the 70s shit was so strong it hung around most of the 80s too.

3. Problematique

@thumper

--- Post Added -- Dec 10, 2017, ---
    Funny you kinda stopped listening 25 years ago, I started listening to metal 20 years ago (when I was 6.)

4. thumper

yeah well I'm 51 now too :) so that kind makes more sense. although kids that young weren't normally into that old stuff so that's really cool.

Problematique likes this.
  5. Problematique

Yeah, none of my friends growing up were. I was the lone metalhead, mostly through high school too, minus like the couple of kids who liked Trivium and Slipknot, lol.

I have the benefit of having two older brothers and they were into Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Guns n Roses and stuff like that and I got into metal through them introducing it to me.

First metal song I heard was "Ride the Lightning" and the second was "Fear of the Dark."

For my 13th birthday my brother copied me every Metallica album onto their own cds and I had just gotten a CD player in my room, so I had a lot of fun with that. :)

thumper likes this.
  6. thumper

That's funny. I really liked GNR and of course Iron Maiden.

Ride the lightning i know, but everyone knows that from how popular it was. and obviously I know fear of the dark.

Here's the thing though. I proclaim how i despise that death metal, thrash shit. But man that stuff was born from songs like fear of the dark. I don't know for sure because I don't know them but I'd bet Metallica were big time iron maiden fans. their stuff sounds pretty close, just that metallica is way over the top with it, but you can clearly hear the inspiration in songs like that.

Different times. But i also got into some old stuff. I learned to play the drums listening to in a godda davida because of the 4 minute friggin drum solo. Though i later moved to guitar because my parents didn't want to kill me for playing that. I used to think that solo was unbelievable. Now I listen to it and even though it brings back a lot of memories it makes me laugh. it was my mother's favorite song (she's now 76)

so i was so retarded as a kid I liked a song from the 60's and it was psychedelic rock hahah.

here's that solo that I thought was just baddass (i would get complaints from neighbors for playing just the solo too loud, then when the keyboards cxame back in i'd go back and start the solot again.. over and over and over until i learned it.

--- Post Added -- Dec 10, 2017, ---
    That sounds so much it sounds a LOT like the intro to rock you like a hurricane

also, i will admit there was some really REALLY bad shit back then. Who can forget these Kiss wannabe clowns? 32 fucking million views!

then he got old

[​IMG]

Trodden likes this.
  7. Problematique

Oh yeah man Metallica are big Maiden fans, but as Hetfield said the band from the NWOBHM that they wanted to be like was Diamond Head.

8. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

disposableassassin likes this.
  9. Problematique

10. Problematique

@Trodden @thumper you lads got a good place to torrent music? There is a lot of albums that I want and I can't afford to buy nothing but music haha.

I'm usually not one to download albums, but for some it would be useful.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 13, 2017, ---

Trodden likes this.
  11. thumper

i don't use torrents because I think p2p programs are FAR too intrusive and security dangerous.

I use newsgroups. the old fashioned way. so i likely won't be any help. but the people with torrents are definitely going to have them

i also haven't downloaded music in probably 10 years, but alt.music on usenet (if you use newsgroups) is where i'd go. but having said that, if you do use newsgroups the readers all have some form of super search so you'd find them in any group. the days of needing to know the group names is long gone

Trodden likes this.
  12. Trodden

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/nevermore-sanctuary-frontman-warrel-dane-dead-at-48

NEVERMORE & SANCTUARY Frontman Warrel Dane Dead At 48

http://psychocydd.co.uk/torrents.php?search=

13. Problematique

What are newsgroups?
    R.I.P Warrel Dane. Fuck, what shitty news. One of my favourites.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 14, 2017, ---

Trodden likes this.
  14. Trodden

15. Trodden

16. Trodden

17. Trodden

18. Trodden

19. Problematique

Davidian has been my ring tone for a decade now.

--- Post Added -- Dec 15, 2017, ---

I've posted it before, but damnit it needs to be posted again, such a fun album.

This is the bandcamp page for that Bloodshot Dawn album. I just bought it, less than $7 US and like $9 AUS.

Trodden likes this.
  20. Trodden