Ticks log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by tick, Sep 15, 2008.

1. tick

tick is banned?

I got a laugh at myself yesterday. While doing the second half of the workout at the work gym I was looking at myself through the cracked mirror they have there. Anyway, I went to itch my belly so I pulled up my shirt. For a second I thought I had the start of a six pack (a line going down my belly). Then I realized it was a trick of the light and mirror. Alls it was was the little hair I have on my belly darker because it was damp with sweat. Good thing no one walked into the gym as I was laughing with my shirt pulled up, they might of thought me crazy!

2. tick

tick is banned?

Yesterdays workout was just some cardio... 20 mins at a moderate pace on an ellipticle.

Today I would of usually gone to the gym in the morning but it was nice out. The past two days have been crappy and rainy so i decided to take the dog for a walk in the morning instead of go to the gym. I am glad I did, the weather was to nice to be cramped inside a stuffy gym. Instead I will go to the gym tonight while at work. Might as well get paid to go to the gym!

The workout tonight will be:

This morning I took the mutt for a walk so i didn't do my usual Thursday routine... I went to the gym at work instead and here is what I did...

Circuit A: Done for 3 sets
    Clean & Jerk -> sets 1 and 2: 135 lbs 5 reps set 3: 155 lbs 3 reps
    Front Squat -> sets 1 and 2: 135 lbs 8 reps set 3: 155 lbs 5 reps

135 pounds went up surprisingly easily for me on the first two sets so I figured I would try the higher weight. My goal for clean and jerks was for 3 to 5 reps and I wasn't feeling all that challenged with 135. I must of gotten stronger. Last time I tried 155 lbs for this my form turned into crap and I tweaked my shoulder. This time I was able to maintain good form for 3, I was considering going for a fourth rep but I think my form would of been poor with that one.

Circuit B: Done for 3 sets
    Deadlifts -> 225 lbs for 5 reps
    Pushups -> AMRAP (Probable did in total around 100)

There you have the workout. A quick, hard workout!!!

Next week I am going to have an "off" week. I will do all body weight workouts. My main goal of next week will be to bump up my cardio alot. I havn't figured out exactly how I want my workouts to be next week but it wont really include many weights. Any suggestions?

3. tick

tick is banned?

So today workout was... tiring but not overly hard. I did what I planned to do so I didnt add anything to it. On wednesday or friday I will add to it. I am starting this workout on the fly this week. Anyway, this past saturday I bought a 40 lb kettlebell (I can here John cheering from here) so that is what I used today.

Workout was 4 sets of 10 reps

Swings
    Clean w/ military press

So I did the swings then right after the swings I did the clean. I would clean the weight then do the press then clean again.

Tonight, while at work, I will do some cardio. 20 mins or so.

Next workout I might add in some turkish get-ups... That is if I feel comfortable with the form of them. I might go to the gym and practice there on a lighter weight first.

http://www.nofearfitness.com/videos/tgu.mpg <-- A turkish get-up
    http://www.nofearfitness.com/videos/swing.mpg <-- A Swing
    http://www.nofearfitness.com/videos/clean.mpg <-- A Clean
    http://www.nofearfitness.com/videos/mp.mpg <-- Military press

Now that I have re-watched the form on the clean I was doing it slightly wrong. Where I was racking the weight was off. I was racking it where I would if I used a Olympic bar. Thus, because my rack position was off my military press was dont incorrectly!

I know EVERYONE wants kettlebell information workout stuff so here ya go!!!
    http://kettlebell-training-for-sport.blogspot.com/2009/01/kettlebell-exercises.html
    http://davedraper.com/pdfs/BeginnerEbook3.pdf <-- where the video's above came from

4. tick

tick is banned?

Yesterday I did about 20 mins of cardio. 10 mins HIIT and 10 mins steady state / HIIT mix...

Today I did 5 sets of 20 swings with a 40 lb kettlebell. I took a 1 min break in between sets. A quick but tiring workout.

Tonight I will do some more cardio. Really no plan on how much or how long but I will do some.

5. tick

tick is banned?

Circuits 8
    Reps: 3
    Load: Heavy (weight you can do 5 - 8 reps with)

<b>Lat Pull Downs</b> : I wont go into the weight because I dont no what it was. The archaic equipment in the work gym made it hard to guess. I had 80 pounds in plates attached to a supposide 150 pounds on the machine. My guess is the machine was a smidge off.

<b>Dips</b> : 60 lb dumbell

<b>Deadlifts</b> : 225 lb

That was all she wrote for this workout! Tune in tomorrow for my cardio routine!

6. tick

tick is banned?

I havent updated this for a few days so here we go!!!

Workout for 5-1-09:
    Circuits: 4
    Reps: 15
    Load: Light (18-22)'

Good Mornings --> 95 lbs
    Incline Dumberll Bench 50 lbs
    Lunges --> 25 (each hand) (8 reps each leg)
    Wide Grip Pulldown --> Unknown Weight (the machine sucks)

60s rest between excercises

Workout for 5-4-09 (today)

Circuits: 8
    Load: Heavy

Lat Pulldowns --> Whatever the stack was with 1 arm
    Flat Bench --> 205 lbs (sets 1 - 7) 215 (set 8)
    Deadlifts --> 235 lbs

30s or so for the rest between exercises.

7. tick

tick is banned?

I have been lazy and havn't updated this (yet I have updated my log on facebook, for some reason I find it easier to update on that?) Anyway here are the updates!

Last friday (8 - MAY - 2009)

I had all the intentions of doing a workout, really I did... I did not feel like driving to the gym so I was going to do a kettlebell training as follows...

40 lb kettlebell

Goblet Squat
    Clean n Press
    Good Mornings
    Swings

Do each excercise for 8 to 10 reps with roughly 40 to 60s in between excercises. I got through one round of it then went on to play with my dog for 35 minutes. In hind sight, I believe I made the correct decision in playing with the dog, but that is the problem with working out at home, I tend to always end up playing with that little brat.

11 - MAY - 2009 (Exactly how I wrote it in my facebook note)

Circuits: 8

Lat Pulldowns --> Whatever the stack was +10 with 1 arm
    Flat Bench --> 215 lbs (sets 1 - 7) 225 (set 8)
    Deadlifts --> 245 lbs

30s or so for the rest between exercises.

Today was a GREAT workout... The weight felt lighter with each set...

13 - MAY - 2009 (Today)

Today I was feeling REALLLLY unmotivated, but I forced myself to go to the gym... I am glad I did, because I feel LOADS better now. WOOHOOO!

Circuits: 5
    Reps: 8
    Load: Medium (weight you can handle for 10 - 14 reps)
    rest: 45 seconds

Standing Military Presses-->125lbs
    Sitting Rows--> 140 lbs
    DRDL* --> 70 lbs (each hand)
    Front Squats--> 125 lbs remainder sets

* = DRDL stands for Dumbell Romanian Deadlift

8. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 13 - MAY - 2009

Circuits: 4
    Reps: 15
    Load: Light

Good Mornings --> 115 lbs
    Incline Dumbell Bench --> 55 lbs
    Wood Choppers --> 75 lbs
    Lunges --> Body Weight
    Wide Grip PullDowns --> Stack + 25

Rest 60s

Ended after two circuits... Head was starting to feel like it was going to pound out of my skull, and I felt very weak / tired.

After reviewing my nutrition log (which I luckily kept that day) I saw the problem... I didn't eat enough.

9. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 18 - MAY - 2009

Rest: 60s between each pairing

1A--> 1 armed Pull down --> Stack + 10 *
    1B--> Front Squat --> 155

2A--> Romanian DeadLift --> 255
    2B--> Flat Bench --> 225**

* = I don't no what the weight of the stack is... It says it is 160lbs but I feel it is wrong... The equipment is from around 1975 (or so it seems). I wanted to do wide grip pull downs, but it is hard to get a weight heavy enough for that machine to actually be usefull...

** = I wanted to do decline dumbell bench, but I after getting to my work gym I realized that we don't actually have a decline bench there... Any suggestions for a substitution? We also don't have a pull-up bar or dip station...

10. thebwit

thebwit Guest

Hrm declined bench suggestions. Is there a declined bench for sittups you can use? If so, can you move it over to a bench station? If you can't move it to a bench station use dumbbells maybe? Or a smith machine?

As for pullups and dips, this is a little harder. Is there any sort of overhead bar? Even if it isn't round like a normal pullup bar, just something to get a slight grip with and do pullups that way. As for dips, probably just have to do seated dips and put some weights in your lap.

11. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 18 - MAY - 2009

Sets: 3
    Reps: 16
    Load: Light
    Rest: 90s

1A) Push-Up with feet elevated ++
    1B) Good Mornings --> 95 lbs ++

2A) Barbell Row w\ Palm up -->95 lbs ++
    2B) Step-Ups (alternate legs each rep) 16 each leg --> Body weight... In Hindsite I did this wrong, think I was suppose to do 8 each leg. ++

I lift barefoot and there were other people in the gym (for the first time) and they were looking at me funny. Oh well, I like my barefoot lifting.

Oh yea, the ++ just is a marker for me to go up in weight next time. I think I am going to have to invest in a X-Vest or something for hte pushups

12. tick

tick is banned?

There are no decline benches. The simplest solution is to go to my commercial gym for these workouts (I am paying for it) but I like doing them at work because I am by myself and no one around to distract me. Also working out on the company's dime is always nice. If I do them at the work gym I will just continue doing flat bench. Or do incline dumbell bench, I think my upper chest area needs work.

I can actually substitute the dips for the decline bench, but having my feet on one bench and hands on another target more my triceps than the lower pictorial region. Pull-Ups I will continue to do 1-armed pulldowns. I just want to be able to do pullups soon. I currently don't have the strength to do them, but I plan on buying some bands to assist. Just have to get a pullup bar! Maybe I will buy a door pullup bar and just use a doorway in the gym.

Once I get my own house I am going to put money away to build my own home gym. So many toys i want!!!

13. thebwit

thebwit Guest

Yeah 16 means 8 each leg :p I know it was a light day, but you should do these while holding some weight no matter what. Especially with how much you are able to squat already.

14. tick

tick is banned?

Yea, I haven't done that volume yet (16 each let) and was unsure of whether my grip would actually hold out... Now 8 each leg i know my grip will hold out! Next week I will probable hole at least 30s

15. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 20 - MAY - 2009

Sets : 5
    reps : 8
    Load : Medium
    Rest : 60s

1A) 1-arm pulldowns -> stack
    1B) Lunges -> 30 lbs

2A) Push-jerk -> 115 lbs
    2B) single legged deadlift --> 115

My form is horrendous in the single legged deadlift... I think I am going to up the weight next time and do two legged deadlifts until I get better balance / form.

16. tick

tick is banned?

So I haven't updated in a few days, but here we go!!!

Workout Log 22 - MAY - 2009

Sets -> 6
    Reps -> 3
    Load -> Heavy
    Rest -> 60s

1A) Lat Pull Down --> Stack +15
    1B) Front Squat --> 185 lbs

2A) Dumbell RDL's --> 70 lbs (wasn't enough weight, will have to switch to using a bar)
    2B) Flat Bench --> 225 lbs

Workout Log 23 - MAY - 2009

Sets --> 3
    Reps --> 16
    Load --> Light
    Rest --> 90s

1A) Pushups --> For me Set 1 was feet inclined, set 2 was with a 45 lb plate on back set 3 was feet inclined
    1B) Good Mornings --> 115 lbs

2A) Row w/ palms down --> 120 lbs
    2B) Step - ups (alternating legs each rep) --> 25 lbs

Workout Log 26 - MAY - 2009

Sets --> 6
    Reps --> 3
    Load --> heavy
    Rest --> 60s

1A) Chinups --> Body weight
    1B) Front Squats --> 205 lbs

2A) RDLs --> 275 lbs
    2B) Incline Dumbbell Bench --> 70 lbs (have to go higher, but dont have heavier dumbbells :/ )

17. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 27 - MAY - 2009

Sets --> 3
    Reps --> 16
    Load --> Light
    Rest --> 90s

1A) Pushups --> Feet inclined and w/ sets 2 and 3 I had my hands holding 35 lb weights so I had a longer range of motion
    1B) Good Mornings --> 115 lbs I will go up in weight next time

2A) Row w/ Palms up --> Set 1 was at 120 lbs. This i struggled with alot so i went down to 110 for the next two sets. I still struggled with this but was doable.
    2B) Step Ups --> 25 lbs each hand. Alternating legs each rep

18. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 28 - MAY - 2009

Sets -> 5
    Reps -> 8
    Rest -> 60s
    Load -> Medium

1A) 1-Armed Pulldowns --> Stack
    1B) Lunges --> 30 lbs

2A) Standing Shoulder Press --> 115 lbs
    2B) Deadlift --> 185 lbs

I could of gone higher on the deadlift but I felt tired and it seemed like my form was having issues when I went higher. So proper form > heavier weight.

19. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 01 - JUNE - 2009

I had every intentions of exercising yesterday... I just never made it to the gym. It is okay though, instead I go a workout helping my father. I loaded a cart with 56 cement thingys (a great core workout, alot of trunk twisting in a squatting position). Then I moved the cart, which had a broken wheel... So it was sort of like a partial sled pull. This by the way is GREAT for leg / core strength,

Then helped him (father) load the truck. Now the actual putting down of the cement blocks, he did that. I was more or less just there to help move stuff. ANYWAY, onto today's workout!

I started with the a complex of the following excercises done for 4 sets at 12 reps with 95 pounds...

Clean --> Front Squat --> Push Press

After those 4 sets I went into:

3 sets, 12 reps
    Dumbell Pull overs --> 50 lbs I will have to increase this weight next time

2 sets of 12 reps of the following excercises. These were done 1 after the other with no rest between excercises. about a 60 second rest between sets

A1) Lateral Raises --> 15 Lbs
    A2) Front Raises --> 15 Lbs
    A3) Overhead dumbell press --> 30 lbs

I finished off the workout with pushups until failure. I didn't really count I just did them until I couldn't do anymore.

20. tick

tick is banned?

Workout Log 02 - JUNE - 2009
    Todays workout...

Core Training:
    Sets = 4
    Reps = 8 (unless otherwise noted)

Incline Twists --> 25 lbs
    Weighted Crunchs --> 25 lbs
    Dragon Flags --> BW (which is all you need) only managed 4 reps each set
    Plank --> 25 seconds

Also did 30 mins of cardio at a moderate pace.

The Dragon Flag... I dare you all to do it! (Youtube link)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjCMq2zkbOo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjCMq2zkbOo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>