1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Ticks log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by tick, Sep 15, 2008.

1. tick

tick is banned?

So this week in the weight loss area it was stagnant... I weighed in at 208 again. Now my excuse for this... Girl Scout Cookies (mMMMM Thin Mints) are addicting and should be illegal! So basically I am saying that my will power was crap when I saw those tasty morsels in thee freezer.

Activity wise It was great but it wasnt bad. I got to the for two weight training sessions and 2 cardio sessions.

Even though I havent had a change in weight in a few weeks I do feel like my body has started to go through a change. I am starting to feel leaner and sometimes even look it.

So things i have to do... Get better with my diet and eat cleaner. Add some more cardio to my workouts, even if its just taking the dog for a walk.

I changed up my workout this week and I must say it kicked my ass.

I started with Clean and presses in a pyramid type scheme. Total 7 sets reps as follows 5, 3, 2,1, 2, 3, 5 the weight looked as follows
    set 1 5 reps at 95 lbs
    set 2 3 reps at 115 lbs
    set 3 2 reps at 135 lbs
    set 4 1 rep at 155 lbs
    set 5 2 reps at 155 lbs
    set 6 3 reps at 135 lbs
    set 7 5 reps at 115 lbs

When I got done with set 4 I felt that I could do that weight for a set of 2. Next time I do this workout I am going to start with the highier weight. I do have to improve my form though, I do not get down deep enough when "catching" the bar.

After that I did 2 sets of 10 front squats. I only used 95 pounds, but that felt heavy enough. The cleans I was practically squating every rep as well. Also, I have not done front squats in so long I wanted to use lighter weight to make sure my form is better.

Then I finished with Rows (rep scheme was 10, 8, 6, 3) and pushups (done right after each set of rows) with a scheme of however many I could do.

That was done in the morning. At night I did Tabata Front Squats which killed me! I only had 65 pounds with the front squat but by the 3rd sequence of events it felt like 300!!!

Today (tuesday) I wasnt able to get to the gym in the morning and forgot to pack my bag to use the gym at work! EASH! I will have to make up for it tomorrow somewhere. I usually would take Wednesdays off to prepare my meals for Wednesday night, thursday and friday. Alas it was not meant to be this week.

2. thebwit

thebwit Guest

Ugh the dreaded Girl Scout Cookies. But seriously? I doubt that was the only thing that you ate that caused you to not lose any weight.

Some diet tips and don't tell me you are too busy to do this because you aren't :p You can tell me you are too lazy to do this, but no one, in any job, is too busy to be able to do everything.

1. Create a meal plan for the week. It sounds like you kind of do this already with you cooking on Wednesday for Thurs/Friday. Plan out 2 weeks worth of meals. Even if all you have for your meal is Chicken, Salad, Vegetable that will still help.

2. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day calorie wise if possible. If not, don't let your dinner be like 4x the size of breakfast.

3. Bring with you to work protein shakes. And if you don't have a fridge to store them in, get the powder and make your own. If you work a 9-5 job, have one within the first hour of work. Then have a second around 2-3. Even if you have to mix the water with the powder, it should take you max 1 minute to make/drink these if you don't get breaks. Go to the bathroom and make the shake. They don't take long.

4. Stop eating out all together. Same with drinking anything but water.

5. Instead of looking at the girl scout cookies and thinking man I shouldn't eat this, but I am anyways. Think, did I workout today enough to eat a couple of these? I have some form of desert EVERY NIGHT. Be it 1-2 cookies, part of a brownie, part of a cup cake, something. Every night I have a small desert that helps with my sweet tooth if I worked out hard enough that day.

3. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

i ate half of a mrs fields cookie thing it was fucking great haha.. my treat :p

4. tick

tick is banned?

Cookies are great, but I took care of the girl scout cookies! There are no longer a problem.

Overall I wont say my diet is clean but it is improving. It is probable about 75 to 80% clean. I only go out to eat 3 times a week. One time for breakfast (I go out with my father and 93 year old grandmother) but it easy to eat healthy for breakfast. I tend to get a veggie omelet and a cup of fruit. I meet a friend for lunch usually once a week, but even then i tend to get breakfast foods. I like eggs and omelet's. Then most Saturdays I go get dinner with some friends. This would be the only day where I can say I consume really bad for me. Minus those dreaded girl scout cookies, which wont be a problem for at least another year.

I probalbe also didn't lose weight because where I am eating fairly clean for all my other meals I am playing around with the meals. I workout first thing in the morning (on monday, thursday, friday, saturday) so I tend to have a light breakfast then a bigger meal when I get back from the gym. My dinners are usually high in protein and mid range in carbs. So I might be taking in 2200 to 3000 calories in a day. I think when I weigh in next week I will have a few pounds off. This week I am more prepared than last week for food stuff.

I try to do all my meal preparation on Sundays and Wednesdays. I was just preparing dinners so i had them at work, now I am also preparing my lunchs ahead of time and playing with some recipies that I got out of the Gourmet Nutrition book. Thus far I have made:

Chicken w/ Chick pea's --> My favorite so far
    Apple Chicken Casserole --> Was okay, but not really casserole like. Will make some adjustments next time I make it.
    Turkey Sausage Cassarole --> Dinner tonight, I will find out how it is
    Beef Stroganoff --> More a post workout meal (according to PN) but was okay tasting not great but not bad.

What I am also going to make this week is :
    Peppered Sirloin with Grilled Onions and Balsamic Syrup If it is any good I will let you know.

I am also going to start pre grill chicken at the beginning of the week. Just so i can have a quick meal of chicken if I want it or feel the need and so it is already cooked in case I want to make something quickly.

If anyone wants any of these recipes let me know and I will post them.

5. tick

tick is banned?

Now that i think about it Saturday i had alot of pointless calories... I had a chicken burrito for dinner, which by itself isn't that bad but I washed it down with soda. For me that is very out of thee ordinary. Probable my first time having soda since December. Usually if I drink soda it has rum in it as well. Then later that night I had chicken fingers. So Saturday also added to why I didn't drop weight.

6. tick

tick is banned?

Todays workout was a Cardio blast with weights. I did a complex. 4 sets of 8 reps for the following routine. The rule is once you pick up the bar you can't put it back down until all the exercises are done for that set.

Rows
    Cleans
    front squats
    military press
    back squats
    Good mornings

Now I started trying to do this with 95 pounds and I have to admit, I am to much of a wimp and to out of shape to keep that. I got through the front squats and couldn't manage one military press. So I Quickly changed the weight to only 65 pounds. Next time I do this I will make it 75 to start and see how I do. It seems I am very weak in the military press because I had some difficulty with that even at 65 pounds. So I might concentrate on that a little on "Strength" days.

If you have never done a workout like that before I suggest it, it is a fuckin killer!

If you wanted to take it up another notch then don't do it for reps, do it for time. Like how ever many reps you can get in 30 seconds or something. I guarantee you that you will feel it, because if you don't it means you didn't push yourself!

Tomorrow I think I am going to do something I haven't done in years... I am going to do a chest bench style routine. I am more or less curious of what I can do so I might as well go for it. When all is said and done, its about having fun right?

7. thebwit

thebwit Guest

I would expect your military press to be weak. Think about it, the rest of the exercises are done with a much larger muscle. Also a lot of people's shoulders are weak as hell in general. I don't think I could do 95lbs for military press for very many reps and I work my shoulders a lot due to them being weak.

But overall that looks like a killer workout. I think I might give something similar to that a go next week to try it.

8. tick

tick is banned?

I am going to start working my military press more to get that strength up.

Anyway todays workout was

20 pushups
    10 reps 135 pounds bench
    5 reps 185 pounds bench
    3 reps 205 pounds bench
    1 rep 215 pounds bench
    3 reps 205
    5 reps 185
    Pushups AMRAP
    1 arm flys
    (the last set of bench, and pushups and flys done one after the other no rest inbetween)
    Then 10 reps 135 bench
    2 more sets of Pushups AMRAP

I called it a day and had to get back to work. My chest feels tired so i guess i hit it hard enough.

9. tick

tick is banned?

10. tick

tick is banned?

So today i weighed in at 207.5, so practically the same weight.

On the bright side, my pants are starting to feel really loose. Where i didn't need a belt to now I need one. So even though my weight isnt dropping, the pants test says my body composition is changing.

Reasons for the lack of weight loss.... I have been wondering this, and after some reading what I have come to the conclusion is that it is part of the process so to say. I am following the "Precision Nutrition" style of eating. When I started this I basically double my caloric intake for a day. My body is still adjusting to actually having more calories. I have to admit, it is actually hard in a way to eat that much more (which is only around 2500 to 3000 calories) but its getting there. I think within the next few weeks I will see the weight start to come off again. I just have to get a little more strict on my diet. Make sure I have veggies with every meal. A good protein source etc...

So my workout today.
    Cleans & jerks:
    6 reps 115 pounds
    4 reps 135 pounds
    3 reps 155 pounds
    4 reps 135 pounds

Military Press:
    10 reps 65 pounds
    8 reps 95 pounds
    6 reps 115 pounds

Next time I do this I will go heavier in weight.

Goblet Squat
    8 reps 50 pounds
    8 reps 60 pounds
    8 reps 70 pounds

close grip lat pull downs
    3 sets going 10, 6, 4 I don't recall the weight

Pushups 3 sets AMRAP

11. tick

tick is banned?

So today's workout:
    5 sets of 5 reps bench at 185. Next time I do this I will go up to 195
    5 sets of 5 reps deadlifts 205. I can probable go up to 225 in this.

I did 10 reps at 135 for each thing as a warmup. I also did Pushups as a warmup and finisher. Warmup pushups were 20 the finisher was AMRAP. I dont count the finishers I just keep on doing them until I cant do anymore.

12. tick

tick is banned?

Todays workout was the same complex I did last week...

Rows
    Cleans
    front squats
    military press
    back squats
    Good mornings

The difference is I went up to 75 pounds of weight. For a warmup I did walking lunges and about 20 pushups. That was the whole workout and I think it was enough. I was exhausted by the end.

13. tick

tick is banned?

Today I took it easy. I just did 3 sets of 5 at 185 for bench and 3 sets of 5 at 225 for deadlifts. I did walking lunges the length of the room and pushups for warmups.

When doing the exercises the strength just didnt feel there and I noticed my form was going so i decided to end it.

Tomorrow I am thinking of doing some GPP i got from RossTraining:

100 rope turns (jump rope)
    10 burpees
    10 pushups
    10 bodyweight squats

repeat circuit 10 times as fast as possible.

It is something I can do at home (if its nice out) or at the gym. I am quesioning my ability to do it 10 times though, my cardio is horrible. We shall see though, I have to start adding things like this to get my cardio up there.

On a side note, my change in diet has made it so I am consuming alot of protein and minimal carbs. All my carbs come from fruits and veggies. Anyway, I have HORRIBLE HORRIBLE gas... I have driven myself from a room more than once now. I emptied a porch while we were hanging around outside one evening.

14. tick

tick is banned?

So after a weekend of indulging in foods I don't really eat often (Pasta's and beer) i gained a pound. I think it is more water weight than anything and will come off easy.

Today's workout was changed up while doing it. My first exercise was cleans, into a front squat into a military press. On my third set I tweaked my shoulder and had to stop doing the cleans and military presses. So I changed it up and just did 4 more sets of front squats and then 4 sets of rows.

Tomorrows workout is suppose to be bench and deadlifts. I might nix the bench depending on my my shoulder feels. If I nix the bench then I will try GVT (German Volume Training). Basically I will do 10 sets of 10. I will do that with deadlifts tomorrow and maybe front squats on thursday. I will continue thursday doing light shoudler work, but not military presses, cleans or pushjerks. Just light dumbell stuff to get blood into the area and keep it loose.

15. tick

tick is banned?

Todays workout was quick and pretty simple.

Flat Bench:
    135 for 10
    155 for 10
    165 for 10
    185 for 9 (if I had a spotter I would of gotten 10)
    205 for 3 (with a spotter I think I would of gotten 5)

Romanian Dead Lifts:
    135 for 10
    3 sets of 10 at 185
    1 set of 5 at 230 (I could of and should of gotten 10)

How I did the workout was did the bench then right to the deadlift.

I finished off the workout with 20 pushups.

Once that was done my dinner break at work was over so.

Regardless I feel I had a good lift and felt strong. Over the past two weeks my bench went from struggling to do 5 at 185 to doing 9 with only some struggling at that one.

Tomorrow is a rest and prep day, so it means going to the food store and cooking.

I am not sure what I am doing thursday yet. I should take it easy and do mainly squats with some light shoulder / back stuff to get the blood flowing in the area. My shoulder still feels alittle off so it could probable use the easier workout.

16. tick

tick is banned?

This past weekend I had a good time, but wasnt good diet wise. My buddy had his bachlor party so a little alcohol and junk food was consumed... (okay so a moderate amount of alcohol and excessive eating!)... I came in at 210, but I that will proalbe be down to the 208 I have been maintaining tomorrow.

Todays workout:
    Cleans:
    just the bar -> 10 reps
    95 lbs -> 3 sets 8 reps
    115 lbs -> 2 sets 5 reps
    135 lbs -> 1 set 5 reps

Usually I would also do a press or jerk with it, but my shoulder is still a little not right and hurts with the over head so I decided not to.

Front Squats
    4 sets 10 reps at 115 pounds

3 Circuits of Cable Rows (140 lbs) -> Goblet Squats (55 lbs) -> 20 pushups

That was the workout today.

17. tick

tick is banned?

GPP #4 (with one change)
    10 Grasshoppers
    10 Burpee's
    10 pushups
    10 body weight squats
    Done in circuit fashion for 10 sets...

I only managed 5 sets of the circuit though then my body felt numb and my lungs were going to explode... So I know i have to improve my conditioning alot!!!!

This GPP came from a book I have called "Infinite Intensity" The change I made was that I used Grasshoppers in stead of jumping rope. I dot have a jump rope with me at work.

18. tick

tick is banned?

Todays workout was a blast!!!

Warm-up:
    Walking Lunges -> no rep count just walk a certain length doing them turn around and do them walking back.
    20 pushups
    20 grasshoppers

Workout
    Circuit A:
    5 Dumbbell snatch's (used 40 lb DB)
    5 Dumbbell swings (used 40 lb DB)
    10 pushups
    10 body weight squats

Did this circuit 4 times with 60 to 120 seconds rest between each circuit.

finished with
    6 Rows (120 lbs)
    20 pushups (feet elevated)

Did this for 2 circuits with 60 seconds rest between each circuit,

There you have my workout!!!

19. tick

tick is banned?

So most Fridays i don't get motivated to workout until I am at work... Today was no exception, so without further ado, here is the workout!!!!

I did the following two exercises one after the other so it went A1) then A2) rest
    A1) Bench Press

set 1 -> 10 reps 135 pounds
    set 2 -> 10 reps 185 pounds
    set 3 -> 5 reps 205 pounds
    set 4 -> 5 reps 205 pounds
    set 5 -> 17 reps 135 pounds

A2) RDLs (Romanian Dead Lifts)
    set 1 -> 10 reps 135 pounds
    sets 2 - 4 -> 5 reps 225 pounds
    set 5 -> 10 reps 135 pounds

B1) Incline Dumbell Press
    2 sets at 50 pounds

B2) Good Mornings
    3 sets at 95 pounds

C1) Hyperextentions
    3 set of 12 at bodyweight

That was the workout... I am tired now and feel MUCH better than when I started. Now time for a protein shake and some BCAA's!

20. tick

tick is banned?

So today I split my workout into two sessions... Session 1 I did this morning and session 2 I wll be doing tonight. So Sessions 1's workout was as follows and done as a circuit...

Cleans
    push jerks
    Front squats

I did 5 total sets. Set 1 I used 95 pounds and sets 2 - 5 I used 115.

I did my usual warm-up of walking lunges and pushups.

The workout I will be doing tonight:

Romanian Deadlifts -> 5 sets of 5 reps. I will probable use 185 pounds. I can do a heavier dead lift, but my form takes a hit. Right now I feel I get a better "pump" with the lighter weight.
    After deads i will do the following three exercises in circuit fashion.

DB Snatchs -> 45 - 50 lbs for 5 - 8 reps
    DB Rows -> 50 - 60 lbs for 8 to 10 reps
    Pushups -> AMRAP (As many reps as possible) I will be shooting for 100 - 150 pushups by the end of the workout.

I will be doing 5 sets of this circuit.

as a "Finisher" I will be doing hyper-extensions. I am undecided if I will use some weight with it yet or just do body weight. I will probable get a 25 lb weight and use that for 2 of the 3 sets I will be doing.

There you have it, todays fun fun workout!!!