1. Having nothing to struggle against, they have nothing to struggle for. "UFC on ESPN 1: Velasquez vs NGannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:00 p.m. ET (ESPN+).
    Dismiss Notice

The "What Game Are You Playing?" Thread

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Bran, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Doom: Eternal is going to be fucking epic.

disposableassassin and Dimson like this.
  2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Based on my discussion with Dimson I went back to try, again, to play Dark Souls 2. After about 15 hours with it.. I hate it. I just hate it. I hate the controls, the lighting engine, the enemy design, the weapons, and the endless hidden nonsense. I get way people like it. It has a ton of build diversity buried under its layers. But the game itself is not fun. Maybe the PVP is fun and that's where the fondness over experimenting with builds and weapons comes into play but.. PVP in the Souls series is pretty shit. And that's coming from a pretty hardcore fanboy at this point. It's a laggy, inconsistent, unbalanced mess. In fairness that can be hilarious fun at times, the same way a funnel cake can be delicious. A steady diet of such produces catastrophic results.

Since I pretty much hijacked the last 4 to 5 pages of this thread here is my recommendation if anyone wants to play From Soft games prior to the spring release of Sekiro:

1. Dark Souls 3 on PC - it's the most mechanically sound in the series. It retreads much of Dark Souls 1 in terms of lore and has Easter Eggs from Dark Souls 2 sprinkled throughout. But the combat is that of a true fighting game. You spend less time looking for places to go and more time using tactics and skills to overcome foes. You're not presented with overwhelming numbers to face either, it's much more about balancing aggression and defense. It's more satisfying than any MMO experience and the pacing of the combat ramps up over time. Weapons in the DLC unlock more extravagant move sets and that ends up being my biggest knock against the game. The initial 80% of it is WAY too conservative ala Dark Souls 1.

2. Bloodborne on PS4 - From Soft let's their hair down and goes balls to the wall with combat. You're much more of a super powered kind of character than any of the other games. Every weapon has a design to it. Bloodborne is not second to any game in terms of its weapon design or movesets. They alone make for incredibly high replayability. The downside to Bloodborne is the learning curve, both in terms of combat and navigation. As you can read from my posts there's a ton of shit to digest. A lot of the game will be punishingly difficult for those unfamiliar or uncomfortable with From Soft controls, movement, and momentum/physics.

3. Dark Souls Remastered - it's a novel game. It isn't super difficult (especially the back 40% of the game), but it's a very interesting/chill experience once you know where to go and what you need to do. Some areas are better developed than others, most things in the game are viable to use so it's really difficult to make a bad build. The combat is somewhat satisfying, more so that Dark Souls 2 imo. Pretty much every weapon is viable and out of all the games you can become the most OP in terms of armor and damage. It's slow but not obnoxiously slow. I don't know that it holds up all that well, Dark Souls 3 is just a much better version mechanically.

If anyone here has ever played or beat Dark Souls 2 I'd love to know what kept you going. I only have Scholar of the First Sin so I never played the OG DS2. I'm okay with the difficulty of the game but nothing feels fun. Lords of the Fallen, which is shit, was more fun.

3. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

4. Ninjastix

If you beat the DLC then sure. That initiates the end game.

Dimson likes this.
  5. Dimson

I thought going to see him by the tree would do that?

6. Ninjastix

No, I mean talking to Gherman is the end. If you want to play the DLC before the game ends then hold off on talking to him.

Dimson likes this.
  7. Dimson

Oh ok. Got ya. So bitte does NG+ work? Do you get to start with any weapon and armor?

8. Ninjastix

NG+ is weak in Bloodborne, for the series at least. Enemies have more health, do more damage, but items stay the same in the same location. NG+ has no effect on the Chalices as their difficulty level is set. The DLC was probably designed to be run on NG+ as it really ramps up on a single iteration (NG+ scales up to 7 times I believe and while you can continue past NG7 there's little point). The idea there was players had enough to time to familiarize themselves with the game and farm bloodgems to compensate. So going into the DLC on a first run at BL: 120 with 25-28% damage gems kinda trivializes the difficulty.

I say "kinda" because the bosses in the DLC are designed to punish expected behavior. Ludwig punishes players who rear-attack large bosses, Maria punishes failed parries and back-dash escapes, and the Orphan punishes mid/long range fights. The hidden boss punishes pretty much everything except parries since you can't parry it.

Ultimately I favor new runs vs. NG+ runs. You can better formulate a build ahead of time and make one conducive to a specific weapon or weapons. I think quality builds are one of the most rewarding, followed by straight skill, followed by strength and bloodtinge. But those are my preferences. Quality builds allow you to use everything and you can ignore stat scaling so you can invest in more health. Strength lets you experiment with the canon for making short work of Chalice bosses or pvp invaders (if you land a parry). Blood is great for the Bloodletter imo. The Rokuyo is better than the Chikage in my estimation so a skill build that favors the Rokuyo would ultimately be more damaging.

There are no doubt character interactions and secrets you missed. They don't change on NG+, I really wish they did, but that's why I tend to favor new runs. If you ever want to co-op or PVP you also want to limit leveling your build to about 120.

9. Dimson

In new runs, do you start fresh with the same starting weapons and gear? Or do you have access to more stuff since you already beat the game?

10. Ninjastix

You start the game with all your items, equipment, and unlocks.

11. Dimson

Yes! That is awesome. Do you start at level 1?

12. Ninjastix

No, you keep your levels. The world refreshes. That's it. The main game doesn't get all that difficult until maybe NG+2 and really only certain bosses like Ebrietas. You have to have better strategies for dealing with the health pool and elongated fight. Ebrietas is a problem because she performs her variation of a Call Beyond and has her radiation field of Arcane. Rom is also a pain in the dick because her 'spooders' will eventually get the point they can one shot you.

But really NG+ is DLC challenge runs. I think a NG+ 3 or 4 Ludwig is a pretty terrible experience. Same with the Orphan. I don't know that people actually take the time to kill enemies so much as boss rush. I like clearing levels personally so at a certain point it's just masochism. I've run NG+2 and didn't see a point after that. I understand the game much better now and would much rather create new runs.

Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are more NG+ friendly in terms of "hey, new content!". NG+ in Bloodborne is really so you can have fun with late game weapons or late DLC weapons. The big ones are the Burial Blade, the Rokuyo, and the Bloodletter. The Bloodletter is pretty much the definition of a NG+ weapon. It sort of breaks the game with its 2-hand style.

13. Dimson

I saw a video where a guy just L2s the Cleric Beast to death with the Whirligig and I can't wait to that. It was awesome. Lol.
    So is NG+ with the same character or a new character too? Or is a new game a new game with just access to previously discovered items?

14. Ninjastix

Same character, same gear, same tools, same inventory. Reset world. Everything is put back where it was. The only change is items you already have - like the Bloodgem Tool or the Rune Tool - will be replaced with ColdBlood.

15. Dimson

What if you create a whole new character?

16. Ninjastix

You have to create a new game to create a new character. The game has two options thereafter: continue and load. Continue plays your last character save and load allows you to switch between characters.

17. Dimson

When you create a new game/character, do you have to start the game from scratch or do you still get all the perks of already beating the game?

18. Ninjastix

You start from scratch homie.

19. Dimson

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I was hoping to get to use the DLC weapons from the beginning of the game. Oh well, NG+ it is!

20. Ninjastix

I prefer it. I like the early and mid part of the game the most so that's what I play up till then restart.