The War on Christmas

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Sniggles, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Sweet Jesus. It is that time of year for your double digit IQ Facebook friends to rant about how everyone is against the Christians.

I logged in to say hi to family and my newsfeed is full of people complaining about how there are no bible verses in their (grand)kids' public school Christmas play or how their kids cannot watch Christmas cartoons in class if they have religious quotes.

Am I the only one in this world that thinks that people should keep their worshipping to their private time and keep these divisive ideas out of the classroom? I would rather no religions be taught in public school. Save the Comparative Religion or the Theocratic Philosophy for post-secondary. You cannot teach one alone because it is discriminatory and leads to bullying. If you teach about all of the religions yet do not preach them whatsoever - it can lead to diversity or it can lead to bullying. Secular schooling is a must for any society that wants to progress.

Kids don't need to be indoctrinated in class by "faiths". Parents should do that on their own time if they must. People look at me crazy if I say this during Christmas time. To me, the faithful look far crazier when the lament how it is no longer the good ol'days when Christianity was shoved down everyone's throats. The most funny thing of all is that it is the religious who are doing the bullying while others among them are crying oppression.

2. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I think the major faiths and atheism all throw one thing out there that we all try and celebrate. I throw Santa Clause out there for Christmas. Can't wait to see my kids faces on Christmas morning.

I'm with ya Snigs. Keep religion out of school (unless it's high school history or of course you're at a religious private school.). I'm ok saying happy holidays and I am Christian. When my Jewish friend says Happy Hannukah I say Happy Hannukah. If an atheists says happy Wednesday then I'd say happy Wednesday. Religion should be taught on the parents free time, unless they're in a religious school.

3. Hassquatch

Hassquatch Slayer

It definitely shouldn't be taught but it shouldn't be all out banned from schools either. Any faith/religion. Moderation. I say this as anti-religious person. But bitching about no biblical verses in a fucking school play is fucking stupid.

4. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Moderation is vague and rife for abuse. The law states that public schools must be separate from church and state.

There are still many incidents of teachers forcing kids to pray and such because of their own beliefs. Parents should have full control of a child's spiritual upbringing. The state should play absolutely zero role in it.

Kids are worse than adult when it comes to focusing on differences and chastizing the different. This is why these laws were first enacted. Religion in schools creates division rather than unity.

5. cheeseflosser

cheeseflosser Well-Known Member

That's stupid.

However, worship shouldn't be limited to only at home under the covers or in designated areas either.

6. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Anywhere but the public school system.

Worship to Allah, Moses, Yahweh, Jesus, Zeus, Odin, Ra, Vishnu on a beach or on public transportation or on court steps. I don't care.

Influencing other people's children in public schools to a belief system through negative feedback without parental consent is wrong.

7. cheeseflosser

I'm ok with the worship portion.

Learning and history cannot be taught without looking at the effect of religion on population growth and spread; especially in North America.

It's a slippery slope.

8. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Teaching history is not the same as indoctrinating kids or spewing religiousity.

Do you need bible quotes to teach the Crusade?

Ct_L33T likes this.
  9. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

What Sniggs said.

I love that the U.S. promotes freedom of religion, but I am on the side that feels that the government shouldn't promote any religion. No religion can be proven and there are so many to list that you can't realistically afford participation of every single religion one could practice into the regular goings of government.

10. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Should we teach religion in public schools? And if so, how?
    The Dangers of Religious Instruction in Public Schools

11. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

People hate change
    --- Post Added -- Dec 23, 2015, ---
    I agree, but do you believe in freedom from religion as well? For instance, my dad works as a corrections officer. The prisons are going away from serving any type of pork because Muslims. Is that okay?

12. cheeseflosser

Yeah, never said otherwise.

Hope most of that was rhetorical.

Sniggles likes this.
  13. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Unfortunately, the non-religious have to let the religious do their thing and ignore them. That is the only recourse. Can't argue with fervent "faith".

No, I do not agree with that pork ban whatsoever.

School is the same as prison, right? So if you have kids who are deathly allergic to peanuts in an elementary school class and ban them... it is fair. You don't want someone to die just from contact with trace amounts.

But... for the Muslims, they will not die if pork is cooked in the same kitchen as whatever they are eating. So, screw it. Plus, they are in prison for fuck's sakes.

If peanuts kill and the pork doesn't.... then one of them is bullshit. Cook the food separate or just don't feed the Muslim people pork and allow it for the rest. Sorry, but I am not going to go all PC for prisoners. Just give them a warning.

You just gotta envision a hunger strike being a cause of a pork ban.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  14. cheeseflosser

15. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I disagree we have to let the religious do their thing and ignore them, when it effects everyone. For example, if some kid wants to pray in school, go ahead. If the kid wants to pray and it holds up class for everyone, fuck off. If muslims choose to not eat pork, then fine it. But everyone shouldn't suffer for it.

TriangleSmoke and Hassquatch like this.
  16. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I agree. What I meant by that is that the atheists will get ganged on as discrimators or some ridiculous label. Of course, you ignore what does not inhibit you from your day. If someone is inhibiting you, you have every right to tell them to sod off.

Religious people should not be afforded special priviledge above the non-religious. We are equal even if your Holy Book says we aren't.

17. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

I am in favor of freedom from religion, but not in a public non government funded setting. I would think that somewhere like a prison should make a reasonable accommodation for religious inmates.

I do think that stuff like the ten commandments being displayed on/within a courthouse or the like are promotions of a religion and shouldn't happen.
    --- Post Added -- Dec 23, 2015, ---
    That shit delicious.

18. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Do you guys all tithe 10% ? :Angel

19. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Do strippers count as a tithable offense? 10% is a lot of money. A fella could get a wave runner with 10 %.

kanobro likes this.
  20. RearNakedSmoker

RearNakedSmoker Well-Known Member

Yeah, that or several new rifles.