1. "UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Early Prelims start at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Middleweight

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Poindexter, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

2. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

And still seems out of whack

3. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Why in the fuck did Gastelum popping for weed cause him to be removed from the rankings?!

4. Poindexter

5. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

The guys at the top aren't very active

6. rivethead

rivethead Neg'd 4 Lyfe

MW is a fucked up division...most of the guys are either fat WWs or LHWs who cut a fuckload...and nobody fights very often.

Isn't Yoel heading to LHW?

I'm hoping Whittaker fights at least twice in 2019.

I'm hoping the guys in 3-6 fight one another at least once.

I've already placed bets on Israel over Anderson, but I don't think that win really earns him a title shot. It certainly shouldn't earn Anderson one if he manages to catch lightning in a bottle, and said bottle doesn't get positive [...three times is the charm, dog!] after the bout.

7. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

And 1/2 are at LHW now right?

8. Poindexter

So they say.

9. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

10. Poindexter

Ranked 11 in the middleweight division David Branch given another unranked fighter.

11. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

What would/could this division look like had they not rigged the division for Bisping?
    What if they had called the finish in the Silva v Bisping fight?
    What if they hadn't let Mousasi walk?
    What if they #11 Hendo didn't get a title shot?
    What if they didn't hold the title up for a year for the GSp fight?
    What if Silva doesn't lose so much time to piss tests?

12. Poindexter

13. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

What if Whitaker didn't have to take a year off between fights because of injury

disposableassassin likes this.
  14. Poindexter

15. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

[​IMG]

16. Anchorpunch

What if I had a huge cock?

Inside me.

17. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

2019 bro, it's ok

18. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Then it would be a normal night for you

19. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

Silva would of likely been provided another title fight if he would have won against Bisping, not exactly warranted but it would of likely happened.
    Mousasi would be a good injection back into the MW division as it stands now but he would likely be caught up in the tossup due to everyones wins and losses, including his.
    That one still baffled me.
    Agreed. A title should be defended at the least 3-4x a year and holding it up for anyone outside of the champ is stupid. If the #1 contender cannot fight then grab #2, the only time the title should be held up is if the champ is injured.
    Silva was at the tail end of his career when he pissed hot and recovering from injury. While I believe there would have been some fun fights for Silva I do not believe he would of held the title again. Silva has earned the "money" fights that so many up and coming newer names say they want. He and a few others from his era have earned being able to choose who they will fight especially due to the fact that their name on anyone's resume means something.

There really isn't a "problem" with any of the weight classes outside of bantamweight and flyweight. Bantam and Fly just do not have the depth, but the other divisions do and just need to be booked properly. Example: I cannot stand Colby Covington, I despise him as a fighter and as a troll (he's just annoying rather than Chael who was somewhat / a smidge funny) , but he deserves to be fighting against Woodley no matter how outstanding Usman's performance was/have been. Honestly I just wish the UFC would adhere to their own stupid rankings and then use the logic with that to award title shots. I like Israel, he should not be fighting for a title, let him beat one or two guys in the top 6 of MW before we hear him demanding a title shot. Is he good and fun to watch? Yeah. But that should be coupled with earning the shot by beating the peers at the top of his division....Jacare Weidman Romero (the guy fighting Romero coming up) something like that.

UFC is more concerned with "money" fights rather than regulating the sport. Money fights can be done but they should never tie up a division or title of a division. That's the problem in general, not just in MW. That and they , the UFC, treats their fighters like shit, AHEM STIPE. Speaking of, I just remembered that I had the chance to watch Stipe beat Overeem live and Whittaker fight on that card before he became champ. Rematches should be provided for close decisions OR long term champs, ala Cyborg Stipe Aldo. Outside of that I genuinely do not care to see immediate rematches.

20. Anchorpunch

I must live the best life ever.