The real reason to wear helmets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by thumper, Jun 10, 2018.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

When i raced bikes my dad owned a honda/harley dealership in Montana for awhile (then moved to california)

We rode harleys in the summer. Didn't own one, we'd just grab one off the showroom for a ride.

This is one BIG reason to wear a helmet. 80mph into a swarm of skeeters.

Seems silly to wear a helmet to keep from hitting bugs, but that shit hitting you in the eyes would be a very big, very bad crash. I wonder if it would blind you? i bet it could.

Never hit one this bad that I can remember. but i've hit bees before without a helmet.

[​IMG]

Palma and disposableassassin like this.
  2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

3. #1taz

#1taz You sure you want me to give a fuck? Site Donor

Next time you drive down the freeway, pay close attention to the crap laying alongside the road like big chunks of recaps from semi tires, sticks, chunks of lumber, etc. That all came flying off at 60 MPH or whatever the speed the vehicle was doing that it came from. That is why I don't wear fake toy helmets, alway dress appropriately, and I always ride with a replacement aftermarket windshield that is thicker, taller, and tougher than a stock OEM one. I've been hit in the face, hands, legs, and the chest by flying stuff and it hurts like hell. It can ruin your day and possibly end your life. Any bee that ends up inside your helmet or inside you shirt while riding will increase you use of profanity and your anxiety level about a thousand percent. So..if you ride...ride safe and smart.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Qball1974 and Poindexter like this.
  4. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Blows my mind some people don't wear helmets and it's NOT EVEN LAW in some places!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Not required to wear a helmet in Minnesota.

6. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

You have to wear a helmet on your bicycle here.

Kano likes this.
  7. #1taz

#1taz You sure you want me to give a fuck? Site Donor

And some of the same people that won't ride a bicycle without a helmet on will get on a motorcycle with just a tank top, shorts, and flip flops on while riding like an imbecile. Oh and let's not forget the idiots that ride around with their stereo blaring or with ear buds in both ears. Or the guys running shorty pipes with no baffles that are so freakin loud you can hear them in another time zone. I'm all for modifying your bike to suit yourself...but if it doesn't make it handle better, ride more comfortable, make it safer to ride, or improve it's performance and fuel economy..I don't waste my money. Plus, I always keep the stock OEM parts handy in case I ever decide to sell it.

Poindexter and Qball1974 like this.
  8. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

when i was in montana the majority of the guys that didn't wear helmets (and died) were harley riders and wouldn't wear helmets because they were... well harley riders.

back then no self respecting gang member wore them . Don't know about now. this was back in the late 70's to late 80's before I moved away. But it was a big thing. All the Honda and other sport bike riders I knew wore them

9. Noise

Noise Ruido

$3.09 unleaded, fuck yea.

10. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

You live in Cali?

11. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Its around $3.79 for 89 here in Cali; at least where im at.

12. Dimson

That is higher than super premium here.

13. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

Philly it's $3.09 and you don't have to wear a helmet in Pennsylvania.

When I would putz around the neighborhood I wouldn't wear a helmet, but if I got on any highway I was rockin my shit.

14. Dimson

No helmets here in Florida.

15. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Yup. Its ridiculously expensive out here... I couldn't picture myself living anywhere else but its getting pretty fucking bad.

16. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

$4.09 in my part of LA.

I wear a full mask helmet on my Vespa. I had dirt fly into my eye once, and it felt like I had something in my eye for a week. That shit sucked

#1taz, Dimson and Qball1974 like this.