The Pot Smoking Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TriangleSmoke, Sep 13, 2008.

1. #1taz

#1taz You sure you want me to give a fuck? Site Donor

Cannabinoid Combustion Temperatures *

Delta-9 THC – 315 °F.

The most famous cannabinoid. It has both euphoric and analgesic effects, inducing a great sense of relaxation.

CBD – 320 – 356 °F.

The cannabinoid most sought after by medical users for its vast array of medicinal applications. It partly counters the effects of THC, effectively countering feelings of anxiety and paranoia.

Delta-8 THC – 347 – 352 °C.

This cannabinoid is very similar to THC, but it is more stable and less psychoactive. It has great anti-vomiting properties.

CBN – 365 °F.

CBN is often found in quite small amounts, however, its effects can still be felt. It breaks down THC and is highly associated with a sedative effect.

CBC – 365 °F.

This cannabinoid has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.

THCV – 365 °F.

THCV has been shown to moderate the psychoactive effects of THC, but more research is required.

* Note: As a general rule of thumb, vaporizers should be set at around 350-360 degrees Fahrenheit (or lower if you prefer) to avoid the toxic effects associated with cannabis combustion. However, it is best to check your vaporizer for it's temperature settings accuracy, as the quality of their temperature monitoring and regulating abilities can vary significantly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I just bought a vape and,
    1g of Edison Casablanca (Mongolian)
    1g of RIFF Ninety Eight
    1g of Solei Unpluged

With so many different options I don't know if I got the right stuff, I told them I wanted something to relax before bed. Will any of this stuff get you high? because when I tried the Edison my body was relaxed but my head was perfectly clear which isn't what I wanted. Maybe they miss understood me or I just don't have the same reactions as everyone else.

#1taz and Miz like this.
  3. #1taz

If you are going for a combined body and head high, you need to mix equal parts THC/CBD. I don't know if in your area your cannabis is lab tested, but if it is, it should state on the label the percentages and potencies. Remember: CBDA become CBD once it is heated to vaporization. Just like THCA becomes THC once it is heated to vaporization also. So take that into consideration when you are looking for a strain you like, and when you are trying to blend a high THC potency strain with a high CBD potency strain to get a proper 50/50 mix. I personally try to buy the highest percentage of potency strains that I can, just to get the best bang for my buck. As for likes/dislikes of any particular strain, that is kind of up to your own personal taste, which of the many thousands of strains is currently available in your area, and how well that particular crop was grown, processed, and packaged. I've found that often times as a general rule of thumb, CBD strains do not have as high of a percentage of potency as the THC strains do.

So you might have to actually bust out a calculator sometimes to try to determine exactly just how much of each strain you will need to blend together to achieve a proper 50/50 mix. For example: with a CDB/CBDA strain with a combined 15% potency, you will will have to mix twice as much of it with a THC/THCA strain with a combined 30% potency to end up with a accurate 50/50 CBD vs THC mix. And if either the high CBD strain has a small percentage of THC/THCA, or the high THC strain has a small percentage of CBD/CBDA, then it can get a bit complicated. I use a small digital scale and mix mine by weight and percentages of potencies, because that is the easiest and most accurate way for me that I've found to keep the ratios precise.

Plus, you have to use a good cannabis grinder on your strains before mixing them or your percentages will be off, and your vaporizer won't be able to do it's job properly. A good grinder cuts all the leaves/flowers at an angle to insure that the maximum plant surface area is exposed to the heat of your vaporizer, and gives you a much better result. NEVER use a household blender or a coffee grinder, etc, to grind cannabis, because they just won't ever get the job done right. And I would recommend a multi-chambered grinder that has a screen under the grinding chamber with a pollen or keef chamber in the bottom. That powder is good stuff, and although it takes a lot of grinding to accumulate enough of it to vaporize, trust me...it is definitely worth the wait. Save that in an airtight sealed container for special occasions, because that stuff is the best of the best. And don't forget to remove it from your chamber in your grinder before you grind up other strains, or you will end up with it all of your CBD and THC keef improperly mixed up. Here's a link that explains all of that: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-grinder-how-to-use-for-cannabis Mine has a crank handle that makes it easier to use like this one : http://www.sharpstonegrinders.com/sharpstone-clear-top-hand-crank-4-piece-grinder-2-5-silver/ Just don't fill the grinding chamber too full, or it will be hard as hell to turn your grinder. I got stupid and overloaded my first one and broke the damn crank handle off...lol

I know..I know..it sounds a bit confusing and complicated. But It is definitely worth the time and effort. And after you do it a few times, you will get very proficient at it. And if any of you get too confused, holla at me, and if you can give me the percentages, and the ratio of CBD vs THC you are trying to achieve, I can walk you through it. I've done it so much, I can damn near do the calculations in my head.

I hope all that helps anyone here.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Qball1974 likes this.
  4. Qball1974

It is confusing lol I just want to get high once and see what that's all about and take it from there. So far the gel caps and oil did nothing for me. The Edison Casablanca (Mongolian) is 17% THC and .007 CBD and I got no high. So wondering if I just can't get high or try something else.

When I was in the hospital and in the recovery room after my surgery they gave me morphine for the pain, it did NOTHING. When I woke up it was the worst pain I've ever had in my life, I screamed in agony for 15-20mins till I passed out. They had to give me Demerol for any pain relief(and high). So what I'm trying to say maybe weed just wont work for me?? I dunno, not sure what else to try because it's all over my head.

#1taz likes this.
  5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

You can do it.

AnchorPunch and #1taz like this.
  6. #1taz

17% THC is not very potent. I typically find strains in the 20% to 30% range around here that kick butt. You have to be careful when shopping. And as I said, if it is not ground properly before you vaporize it, you won't be getting much effect from it. Also, if you haven't set up your vaporizer's temperature settings properly, you won't get the results you want. I just copied this from their website:

"Unscrew the mouthpiece, then loosely pack in your herb about only half full (the chamber holds up to 0.35 gram) to aid in airflow. Replace the mouthpiece and then quickly press the power button 5 times. You can change the temperature at this point by holding the power button for 3 seconds. There are 5 preset settings ranging from 356F to 428F with the last setting being remembered next time the unit is operated. Once the Pulsar APX has reached your desired temperature you should wait another 30 seconds for the material to fully heat. This is most likely due to the convection nature of the chamber. A good starting temperature for herb is around 374F or 392F, but feel free to experiment. Draw resistance sits somewhere in the middle of the scale meaning you don’t need to inhale too strongly yet you won’t experience hot or unsavory vapor from it being pulled too quickly, either."

It took me a few tries to figure my Pax out, and even longer to figure out how to use my Guerilla, so don't feel bad. You'll get it dialed in.

Here's a piece of friendly advice, one pothead to another...lol Although you would think that the people that work at your local cannabis shops are honest, fair, act like professionals, and are very well informed and trained...often times that is not the case. Some are just 24/7 stoners that desperately need a job, don't want to be hassled about passing a UA, enjoy the status among their peers of working at a cannabis shop, and want to get their own stash cheaper. And since a lot of cannabis shops are more interested in making money than they are at helping the public, they will often times try to get their employees to push their less potent, less valuable strains on the public, because they probably cost the company less, and that is good for the store's profit margin. And I have heard some amazingly inaccurate bullshit fall out of the sales people in cannabis shop's mouths. So you kind of have to be a well informed consumer, and really know what you are looking for. I check Leafly and Analytical 360 ( a local testing lab that publishes their results online) periodically to find out what strains are currently out there, and what is available in my area (near Olympia, Washington). But like I said earlier, I just always ask them for the most potent THC and CBD strains they have on hand, and I make them actually bring them to me and show me the lab test results. If the strains they have on hand aren't that potent, I am out of there and headed to another store that does have some.

From looking at https://shopcannabisnl.com , of the three strains you have, the Edison appears to be the weaker of the three. Which only means you will have to use more to get the same effect as the other two. And all three are primarily THC strains with very little or no CBD content. So my suggestion would be to first get a decent grinder, then pick up the highest potency CBD strain you can find, grind up some of one of the three THC strains you already have, and then add an equal amount of ground up what ever CBD strain you get, check your vaporizer's settings, load it up, and try again.

But no matter what, don't give up. Just take your time, be patient, and you will get this all sorted out. It's like anything else you try for the first time. You might stumble a bit, screw up a bit, but with practice, you soon too will be a certified, trained, experienced, and educated pothead. And a lot healthier.

Besides, anyone that has been around here even for just a little and has ever read even a few of your posts should easily figure out you are no dumbass. I think I currently hold that record. If not, I'm fairly sure I am probably high up in the top ten list. So hang in there. You can do this. If a cranky and slightly senile old fart like me can...you sure as hell can.

Qball1974 likes this.
  7. Qball1974

If you think there's still hope for me I'll try a few more things lol. I opened the Edison but should I take the other two back and try something else? you were on the website I'll try anything you suggest. I only bought a cheap grinder because I didn't want to invest too much money if I can't get high and it all end ups in the garbage. The vaper I started out on the lowest setting of 356f but didn't seem to be doing anything so I cranked it to 412f, that worked. I was taking BIG draws got maybe 5-6 out of it over 30mins, would take two let it cool then stir it and repeat.

8. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I picked up a handheld called Pulsar Go, I think. It’s pretty simple. Battery operated, no temperature settings. I definitely am only interested in electronic vapes, so if you know another one in the $150 or less range, I may pick it up. Would love to continue saving aftervape for brownies.

9. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

I hear you, the torch or butane powered vapes aren’t for everyone.

If you are pretty firm around the 150 mark then your best bet is most likely the Healthy Rips fury 2. The vape itself is very small and light and kicks out some real impressive clouds. It doesn’t have removable batteries but it charges up pretty quick and the temperature is adjustable in 1 degree increments. I’ve not used one personally but it is consistently well reviewed and their customer service is great from all I’ve ever heard.

At the 180 range your choices jump up quite a bit, and the Arizer Solo 2 is a great buy at 180. There’s a great website called puff it up and their owner Randy is pretty awesome to deal with. I have dropped him a line before and they weee able to give me some wiggle room with a vape I was after. If they can’t budge on the vape itself they generally find a way to make it up through adding in some accessories or something.

If you want to see some of those units in action check out The Vape Critic or Sneaky Pete on YouTube. They are both solid reviewers that I generally find myself I. Agreement with.

10. #1taz

Hmmm...maybe you should turn it down just a little bit. If you are getting ANY smoke..it's set too high. And make sure you give it around 30 seconds to a minute to heat your cannabis up before you inhale. As for returning the other two strains, maybe you could see if they actually have any THC strains a bit more potent and/ or swap one of them out for a strain that is high in CBD content? That way you could get a chance to try mixing some CBD and THC together. Getting a real serious buzz from some strain that is high in just THC content can be a bit tough to handle for someone that has never been very high. The CBD will balance it out and keep any feelings of anxiety or anxiousness that some people get from it ever happening.

Qball1974 likes this.
  11. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

You have a friend to smoke with? Could be that you are immune but I'd want to confirm that you're doing it right. I think worrying about strains and % THC at this point is premature. You bought it legal, it should be enough to get you somewhat high at a minimum.

First two things to confirm are if you're fulling inhaling into your lungs and holding it; and if you actually smoked enough. 10 good, deep inhales should create a feeling. If not, that's odd.

But one other thing to consider: I think you said you felt a body effect but not mental? So the whole idea that some strains are "body" versus "mind" is exaggerated- any weed you buy will have some of both (and my pure THC no CBD gives plenty good a body and mental high!). More likely than the strain is you are mentally not getting there; some people find they don't get high their first few times but then do later. No idea what that really is, but might partly be a function of getting familiar with the sensation, getting the anxiety down, etc. Better than throwing it away.

Qball1974 and Kano like this.
  12. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Lots of people don't think they are high the first couple times. Like @AnchorPunch said they aren't familiar with the sensation.

If you want to become dope addict keep at it.
    You'll get there.

Dimson and dan the man like this.
  13. Anchorpunch

Don't tell him about the heroin yet. We have to get him on the gateway drug first!

Dimson and dan the man like this.
  14. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Reefer Madness, check it out.

True Facts

AnchorPunch likes this.
  15. Qball1974

Took me this long to try weed, trust me that's as far as I'm willing to go lol

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  16. Qball1974

Unfortunately no, outside of my wife, kids and mother I don't bother with people. I took about 6 big hits and held it off the vaper but that's all it gave out, should I have reloaded it and kept going? I'll buy something with the highest THC and try that, if that doesn't work at least I tried.

17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

If you need any advice on the White Lady, @The Sundance Kid can describe his dalliance with you.

Qball1974 likes this.
  18. Anchorpunch

Don't worry about getting a different strain. Take more hits and hold them very, very deep in your lungs. Do it three nights in a row. If you still aren't enjoying it, then maybe it's not for you. But don't bother buying more than what you have if you still have reasonable weed left.

It's like all the guys who get worked up over little gym "secrets." Even the ones that work are like the last 1% advantage. You've already got the 99% in your house, relax and use it :)

Qball1974 likes this.
  19. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon Survival Pool Champion

Well shit. I just spent about 2 hours last night researching devices. I should have just come here.

Mostly looking for something that will simply get me high and be more discrete (smell-wise) than lighting up a pipe. I'm a light user, only take 1-3 puffs in a 4 hour period, with a bowl. I'd also prefer something electronic. Anyone have any experience with the PAX 2? Seeing a ton of great reviews about it, and it's in my price range ($150).

20. #1taz

The reason I suggested mixing high content THC with high content CBD content is often when someone is trying to wean themselves off too much drinking alcohol, and /or prescription drugs (like most vets that are being "treated' by the VA), the physical discomforts are easier with a daily dose of CBD. Also, if you are new to THC, your first time getting a heck of a buzz can be a bit stressfull, and the calming effects of mixing in a bit of CBD is a big help. Besides...if you've never got a damn good buzz from some potent 50/50 CBD/THC, you are missing out. IMHO, it is one of the best highs from cannabis there is. And although THC stains do have a little effect on the body and CBD strains have a little effect on the mind, the two are VERY different for the most part.

AnchorPunch...Often times we try to impose our own personally experiences on others, forgetting that there are a lot of factors that cause different strains to effect different people in often times very opposite ways. Diet, metabolism, genetic factors, age, weight, tolerance, past substance abuse, etc...there is a ton of reasons why comparing how a strain makes you feel to how it makes anyone else feel is a lot like comparing apples to oranges.

In this case...since I've been using damn near every strain of cannabis there is real close to daily since i was in my teens, been medically prescribed it in a state that it has been legal in since '98, and am very active with local motorcycle clubs, veterans groups, volunteer groups, self-help programs, etc. that are all trying to get people to get off the booze and the pills and switch to something non-habit forming, non-addictive, and that won't destroy their vital organs, I am speaking from a lot of years of observing what works best for the majority of people in Qball1974's situation.

This whole adventure with he, Miz, and I started over in the Recovery Thread about him wanting to find a more healthier alternative to over indulging in alcohol for health reasons. What I have found that works best for people looking for an alternative to heavy drinking is a 50/50 mix of CBD/THC because they get as close to the same head high and body high that alcohol gives everyone that you can get from cannabis without any of the adverse and unhealthy side effects. Steering someone to a buzz that is kind of familiar tends to make the transition from booze to pot a bit easier. And trust me...there are a lot of people running around my area that are puffing away at vaporizers full of bud that used to pound down the bottles of liquor every night. And quite a few vets that have flushed their pills from the VA down the toilet and are now using CBD topicals for pain and using bud in a vaporizer, tinctures, and edibles to get through the days. I can't take all the credit..there is a lot of good people involved, but after a lot of time and hard work, we are slowly making a much needed difference in a lot of people's lives.

Just my $.02 worth. Add a dollar and that will buy you some fries....lol

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Kano, Qball1974 and Poindexter like this.