1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marlo Stanfield, Aug 11, 2009.

1. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

I had some of that a couple new years ago. I enjoyed it.

Trodden likes this.
  2. Beardown98

Beardown98 Well-Known Member

Had this last night 3 Floyds War Mullet DIPA 8.10%

Super Hazy, good smell but man was it a disappointment for me. I am not a fan of it, on first taste it's too sweet almost like some barley wines I have had in the past however it does have a nice clean finish.

Some may like this, but this will be the only one I have.

upload_2017-6-19_10-15-7.jpeg r

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Couple beers I had in Chicago over the weekend from Saugatuck Brewery.

[​IMG]

Bonfire Brown is a pretty good Brown Ale, and I love a good Brown Ale. But they're better fall/winter

[​IMG]

Not very good. Not sure how they do IPAs in Singapore, but was not a fan of this. But I don't like a lot of those beers that have "An Intensely aromatic IPA ". That usually means it smells and tastes like flowers.

Poindexter likes this.
  4. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

So my buddy is having his annual beer testing gathering this weekend.

Everyone brings 4 bombers of their beer of choice. 3 go into the testing pool and 1 goes into the prize.

Everyone tastes all the beers (bottles tapped up in paper bags and numbered) and rates each beer.

The beer at the end with the highest score wins. Whoever brought the winning beer gets the prize (1 bomber of each beer in the testing - last years winner ended up with 28 bombers).

The winning beer last year was Driftwood Brewery's Naughty Hildegard

Anyone got any suggestions for a good beer to bring?

The catch is, I have to be able to buy it in bomber size and it has to be available where I live.

I might just play dirty and bring last years winner.

Poindexter likes this.
  5. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

What is a bomber? A growler?

6. Beardown98

A bomber is a 22oz or bigger bottle if i am correct.
    @Kevo if you like brown ales have you ever tried Ellie's Brown Ale by Avery? I really enjoy that beer as a brown ale.

I wish i could help more @Cat--Smasher I don't know enough about the beer in your area. My first thought though would be a good barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout or a really high IBU Pale Ale to really stand out or a potent Sour as those are all the rage right now I'm not a big fan but people are really digging those right now.

Here is a bomber Kevo

upload_2017-6-21_21-53-40.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Cat--Smasher likes this.
  7. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Tall boy, got it

Don't believe I've had that brown ale, I'll be on the lookout for it

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I've never heard of a bomber. We have self-filled bottles here called growlers. Does bomber refer to just the size or the fact that it is filled by the owner of the bottle?

9. Beardown98

A bomber is a 22 OZ bottled beer you get at the store. Growlers can be up to 64 ounces and are filled off the tap at a brewery or tap room.

Poindexter and Cat--Smasher like this.
  10. Cat--Smasher

This.. Bombers 22oz bottles. Not all brands and flavours are in bombers, not all bomber flavours can be bought in regular cases and 6 packs.

We got growlers (64oz) and squeelers (32oz) you can get filled at the brewerys or taps.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 21, 2017, ---
    I think I'm going to go with an ISA, its going to be a hot day out on Friday so I think low alcohol will be more refreshing but I know this crew of friends likes the tasty beers full of flavours.

Possibly this:

http://beermebc.com/2014/07/11/bomber-brewing-co-bike-route-best-bitter/

Poindexter and Beardown98 like this.
  11. Beardown98

I am a sucker for a good ISA good luck sir! Are you bringing more than one kind of beer or just the ISA?

If I were out by you I'd try this big flavors and aroma from what I read

upload_2017-6-22_8-22-53.jpeg

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  12. Cat--Smasher

Yes, just 1 beer. 4 bottles of it.

I will look for one of those this evening to sample. I assume those are available around here as they are somewhat local.

My other thought was a heavy full of flavour IPA. The most popular one around here is from Driftwood Brewery -- Fat Tug https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18858/62911/

13. Cat--Smasher

I went with the ESB/ISA I mentioned from Bombers Brewery out of Vancouver:

[​IMG]
    Lets hope it can hold its weight and win me some beers.

Dont mind my drunking ramblings later on this evening if I make it online.

Beardown98 likes this.
  14. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Make us proud, man.

15. Beardown98

How'd it go? What was the winner?

16. Cat--Smasher

Attached Files:

Poindexter and Kevo like this.
  17. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Jesus, do we have a half hour until the next fight?

18. Beardown98

So another pale ale won (i think bitters are a type of Pale Ale) 7th out of 22 is a good showing as well. I gotta set something up like what you did with your friends with some people i know.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  19. Cat--Smasher

Its a good time. This is the second time we have done it. You get to taste a lot of beers at once and you get an unbiased view of what beers you blindly enjoy. I was surprised at a few of the beers I gave a low score to.

The more organized it is going in, the better it goes. Some people bought their beers late or left them in their cars too long so a hand full of the beers were still warm when being tasted, which naturally dropped their scores and enjoyment.

A few lessons learned, we will be ready with 3 large coolers full of ice - with 3 bombers of each beer it would be 3 tasting spots with all the beers available and cold. Have a spread sheet prepped and ready to calculate all the scores after the event so people dont have to set one up after drinking 22 different beers and better cups. This year they bought 2 oz plastic shot cups for the beer tasting which was a poor choice.

Beardown98 likes this.
  20. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

8.3 ABV. 70 IBU. I prefer it a bit stronger/more bitter, but this ain't bad:

upload_2017-8-15_3-40-48.jpeg