The NBA 2019-2020 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ninjastix, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Draft tonight. And on that subject I agree that the draft should go away.

2. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

I don't think the draft is going away, I can see some of the merits of his argument but overall I don't think the draft is a negative for the league.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 20, 2019, ---
    I think the Pelicans can be really good in the 20-21 season, but I don't think Gentry is the coach to get them there.

3. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

There needs to be some sort of mechanism to approach parity.

Ninjastix likes this.
  4. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Exactly. Also getting rid of the draft would kill the game. First you’d eliminate small market teams because they wouldn’t have a chance at acquiring franchise-altering talent, then you’d have fewer opportunities for mid-level talent to get signed and develop their skills, then you’d have fewer athletes playing the game.

Abolishing the draft is a pipe dream driven by media members and fans who don’t want to see Shaq in Orlando, LeBron in Cleveland, or Zion in New Orleans. They want everyone to play for the Knicks, Lakers, or Celtics.

Ninjastix likes this.
  5. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

6. Ninjastix

Horford in Dallas with Zingas and Luka could reshape the West. I think they'd have to move Hardaway though.

I favor giving incoming guys the choice of where to play. I understand the parity issue but I hate the fact that inept franchises are carried by successful ones and the league in general. I also think that even money makes small markets viable. Smaller markets would attract younger talent or evolving talent for more money than they could make in markets where they'd need to be role players. Guys that wouldn't necessarily get endorsement deals so they might prefer more team money.

To me the draft has consistently rewarded mismanagement and now that tanking is out in the open, I think something needs to evolve or the process needs to be overhauled. I'd love to see college players get to pick their teams even if their salary would be capped. I'd love to see teams have to work and bid for those players as well. I'd rather see star players with with the next generation than each other. I think that's sorely missing when these rookies fall to teams with no veterans and are expected to carry a franchise which is precisely what's going to happen with Zion and Ja.

Plus if we're talking entertainment factor...

Bidding for rookies would ABSOLUTELY eclipse the Draft. It would be a reality show unto itself.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

The NBA should just go the route of soccer. Screw the draft. They should have relegation too. Just soccer it up. They already do with all the flopping.

8. Ninjastix

Dude, what the fuck is a "Soccer"? We talking African Roundball in here. A real game enjoyed by those on work release and Lesbians the world over.

9. Nebraska

David Griffin the early frontrunner for 2019-20 MVP. God. Damn.

Dimson, split2874 and chrisc like this.
  10. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Top three picks have gone exactly as expected.

Zion to NOLA, Morant to Mem & RJ to NYK.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 20, 2019, ---
    Coby White, okay Chicago. First thing's first, make him get a haircut.

11. Nebraska

The Bulls didn’t take Cam Reddish!

Qball1974 and Dimson like this.
  12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

The Pelicans are looking set for the future

Dimson likes this.
  13. Nebraska

ESPN managed to unlock the punchable side of Ariel. Didn’t know it was possible for him to take his personality to new levels of unbearable, but, here he is.

Dimson likes this.
  14. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

--- Post Added -- Jun 21, 2019, ---

Dimson likes this.
  15. split2874

split2874 Relax

Zion!! It was so much watching the draft with a competent front office. 3 first round picks.

I think we have 2 players older than 25, we are very young.

Hopefully a change of scenery will help Ball and Ingram reach their potential.

Real excited about the future. I am not expecting much next season but I do think it will be a fun team to watch

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Dimson and Miz like this.
  16. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

New Orleans was very fortunate weren’t they. Number one pick with a potential superstar. Moved a great player who was going to leave next year anyway, right? Got great draft picks for him and a couple of young players with potential. They are going to be fun.

I watched several of Zion’s games. I think he is going to be very good if he stays healthy. Seems like a nice guy as well. Lots of potential.

split2874 likes this.
  17. Ninjastix

Fortune turns to dust when expectations grow out of proportion. The Pels and Hawks are NOT playoff teams. These guys need time to mature and develop their games. This is where being in the 'in-between' in the NBA gets you punished. Which is bullshit.

Seeding your team with young talent is not a bad move but there's no guarantee they stay when they do develop if you run the organization like shit. The track record of the Pelicans would worry me but with Griffin and new commitments by the owner maybe they can be a destination franchise. Same with the Hawks, if the investment is there then maybe you can hold onto these guys when free agency hits.

I'm skeptical though, I don't see this as a powerhouse draft class. Last couple of drafts there's been some exceptional athletic talent hasn't translated to dick in the league. That's not just coincidence. Both Tre Young and Luka were standouts last season based more on skill than athletic ability or physical gifts. With guys leaving this early they simply have under-developed games.

I look at the Knicks core and for the first time in a long time they have a complimentary roster of young, cheap talent. But NONE OF THEM have developed games. So how does it happen? How does the youth leading the youth develop NBA skills? Rather than chasing a guy with a blown Achilles I'd love to see the Knicks pursue some skilled players, guys who can impart a work ethic to grow the skills of a young core. I'd love to have Al Horford or Jimmy Butler. They're unlikely targets though and the Knicks would no doubt over pay for both.

Poindexter likes this.
  18. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

19. Ninjastix

It's true. But in all seriousness they have a good young core. They need a leader and identity.

Dimson likes this.
  20. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

GS is gonna pull a rabbit out of their ass I believe. Watch Kawhi end up in GS while the Warriors thumb their fucking nose at everyone. That would be some bullshit.