1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

The Climate thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Trodden, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

its inevitable now

2. PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin

PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin Well-Known Member Site Donor

I don't understand the debate between people who believe in Global warming and those who don't. And when I say that, I mean, I don't understand the science behind it all. I'm not a global warming denier nor am I one of those people screaming from the hilltops. I saw a truck in the city I live in with massive exhaust pipes spewing up from the bed of the truck with plumes of black smoke and his bumper sticker said, "Global Warmer." Shit like that pisses me off. You're just asking for trouble.

So I guess I'm asking questions since I don't understand. Earth has always went through periods of warming and cooling correct? Long before man came along and starting fucking shit up, wasn't the Earth getting hotter and colder?

Why is the right so hell bent on denying global warming is a problem and why is the left so hell bent on saying man is the primary problem? These are legitimate questions I have because again, I'm not quite sure I understand it all.

3. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

There's an XKCD comic that can put it into perspective and explain it better than I could ever hope to.

I will find it and link it.
    --- Post Added -- Jul 25, 2017, ---
    [​IMG]

4. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

5. RearNakedSmoker

RearNakedSmoker Runnin' with the Devil

6. Trodden

Im not being a dick, but just to make a point; do you understand how antibiotics work by destroying the walls of cells? or do you trust the doctors who spent years going to school?

the lay person understanding the science shouldnt be a per-requisite for its validity

I read a lot about it, but I dont pretend to understand all of the data 100%, but either the scientists are right or are united in lying to all of us

yes, but not at the rate its happening now. plus we can go through the geologic record and measure the atmosphere to see what the conditions where during those times of climate shifting, and the correlation of our involvement is undeniable

because the companies that make a lot of money adding to the problem give money to the right and not the left

of course many in 'the right' believe Jesus was a white man, so their opinion is only worth so much anyways. yes they have the power, but their opinions dont change the facts

[​IMG]

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

[​IMG]

most people dont keep up with scientific advancements

let alone something as complex as measuring the evolution of the gases in our atmosphere

but Ill trust the scientists who are in unison in this decision over someone paid by Exxon or some other company that scientists shouldnt be trusted

7. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

"The planets doing fine. We're killing ourselves. Just ask those people in Pompeii if they feel like a threat to the planet." George Carlin

Trodden likes this.
  8. Trodden

that was in 79 AD

back then we were no threat to Earth

humans are like the parent who left their kid in a car on a hot day

except everyone on Earth is the kid in the car

9. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

We are currently causing an extinction event with biodiversity on Earth, which is a problem for humans because we're not separated from the ecosystem as a whole.

That's fact. Where philosophy comes into play is I tend to think it's within our biology to do this, to teraform, to expend, unlock, and release stored energy in the Earth even if it ends up kill off humanity.

It's not unlike a digestive process. For millions of years there's been trapped energy in the Earth. Life, humans specifically, are a way to release it, to continue to foster entropy and reach a lower rest state.

That's not a fact, just something I'm personally fine with. Humans are what the environment produced. We're a slow asteroid if you think about it.

Walter Sobchak and Poindexter like this.
  10. Trodden

if you go back to the first entry on this thread, you'll see this article.

lets see how were all doing

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/health/climate-change-two-degrees-studies/index.html

Earth to warm 2 degrees by the end of this century, studies say

11. Trodden

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...-the-size-of-new-jersey/ar-AApng4N?li=BBnb7Kz

The biggest ever "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico is the size of New Jersey

12. Poindexter

13. Trodden

donald trump behind a podium looks like a half-wit brother in law of a south african bad guy in an 80's action movie

Poindexter likes this.
  14. Trodden

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170808-climate-change-is-disrupting-the-birds-and-the-bees

We all know that climate change will cause more extreme weather and rising seas. But it is also having an unexpected effect on sex.

15. Poindexter

Fuzzy math.

trumpatemyhotdog likes this.
  16. Trodden

most women arent that fuzzy anymore

Poindexter likes this.
  17. Trodden

kanobro likes this.
  18. Trodden

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/white-house-climate-change-committee-dismantled/index.html

Trump administration dismisses climate change advisory panel

start investing in bottled water companies

19. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

Trumps not really president, just a dream......................................must wake up.................................................please wake up..................................................someone anyone.....................wake...............................me.............................up.

Poindexter and Trodden like this.
  20. Trodden

[​IMG]

kanobro likes this.